Xfinity Support's profile

Official Employee

• 

63 Messages

Thursday, August 17th, 2023 7:15 PM

Closed

ANSWERED: How can I stay online during network and power outages?

Xfinity Storm-Ready WiFi includes a Storm-Ready device and Battery Backup to help keep your home online for up to four hours through network and power outages with cellular data at no additional charge.

_

During an outage, the Storm-Ready device automatically switches from broadband to cellular 4G LTE connectivity, and when activated, internet speeds will be reduced to speeds up to 30 Mbps download/7 Mbps upload. Actual speeds will vary and are not guaranteed.

When there is not an outage, the Storm-Ready WiFi functions as a WiFi extender and eliminates dead spots, similar to our WiFi Boost Pods.

STORM-READY WIFI FEATURES

• Tri-Band WiFi 6 extender compatible with Xfinity Gateways XB7 or XB8.
  • 4G LTE connection with automatic switching during a network or power outage.
  • External battery provides up to four hours of backup during a power outage when fully charged.

The Xfinity Storm-Ready WiFi gateway is a white device with a line of venting along the bottom. A light appears in the center just above the vents.

Learn how to set up, activate and test your Storm-Ready WiFi signal in minutes using the Xfinity app.

For a full list of FAQs, see the Xfinity Storm-Ready WiFi FAQs.

Benefits

• Set up in minutes to help keep your home online even during network outages.
  • Keep your home online with cellular data at no additional charge.
  • Automatically switch to cellular data during outages
  • Stay online during power outages with a four-hour Battery Backup.
  • Stay informed about your home network status with Xfinity app notifications.
  • Help extend your WiFi network and eliminate dead spots.

Availability and price

Storm-Ready WiFi is available to eligible Xfinity Internet customers.

Ethernet passive optical network (EPON) Fiber-to-the-Unit customers are excluded.

If you rent an XB7 or XB8 Gateway, you can add Storm-Ready WiFi for $7 per month for 36 months or a one-time payment of $252. There is no monthly reoccurring charge.

Eligibility

Restrictions apply. Only available to Xfinity Internet customers in an applicable 4G LTE footprint. Requires speed tiers at 800 Mbps (Superfast) and compatible Gateways XB7 or XB8.

Equipment requirements

Xfinity Gateway XB7 (CGM4331COM), XB8 (CGM4981COM) required. To confirm the compatibility of your current gateway, locate the number on the back of the device. If you have any questions about your device compatibility, feel free to contact us at 1-800-XFINITY.

• Storm-Ready WiFi is not compatible with home networks that have more than one active Xfinity Gateway or modem.
  • 1st Generation WiFi Boost Pods are not compatible with Storm-Ready WiFi.
    • They must be removed prior to activation.
    • 2nd Generation WiFi Boost Pods are compatible and may remain on the home network.

FAQs

How does Storm-Ready WiFi work?
Xfinity Storm-Ready WiFi provides unlimited cellular data backup in the event of a connectivity outage, plus a Battery Backup to keep Storm-Ready WiFi connected when the power is out.

When there is not an outage, Storm-Ready WiFi functions as a WiFi extender and eliminates dead spots similar to our WiFi Boost Pods. See our Xfinity Storm-Ready WiFi Product Overview for additional information.

What internet modems are compatible?
Storm-Ready WiFi is compatible with XB7 or XB8 Xfinity Gateways.

Who is eligible for Storm-Ready WiFi?
Storm-Ready WiFi is available to Xfinity Internet customers who live in a Verizon 4G LTE footprint and are subscribed to Superfast (800/20 Mbps) internet speed tier and above. A leased XB7 or XB8 Xfinity Gateway is required.

Where can I purchase Xfinity Storm-Ready WiFi?
Storm-Ready WiFi is available for purchase across all sales channels, including xfinity.com and Xfinity Retail Stores.

How much does Storm-Ready WiFi cost?
If you rent an XB7 or XB8 Gateway, you can add Storm-Ready WiFi for $7 per month for 36 months or a one-time payment of $252. There is no monthly reoccurring charge.

Are Storm-Ready WiFi and Battery Backup sold separately?
No. The Storm-Ready WiFi device and Battery Backup devices are sold together.

Do Xfinity technicians install Storm-Ready WiFi?
No. Similar to our WiFi Boost Pods, customers can activate the Storm-Ready WiFi device using the Xfinity app.

Do I have to re-establish WiFi connection to connected devices with Storm-Ready WiFi?
No. During an outage, you don’t have to worry about reconnecting your devices as they will stay seamlessly online, automatically switching from broadband to cellular (4G LTE) connectivity.

What is the speed compared to regular internet service?
The Storm-Ready WiFi device provides backup WiFi up to 30/7 Mbps within the your home. It’s the same WiFi connection you already have, but at 4G LTE speeds.

How does the cellular backup work? Are there any additional requirements?
During a network or power outage, the Xfinity Storm-Ready device automatically switches to a backup 4G LTE cellular network to help keep your home online. It's only available in areas within range of an applicable 4G LTE cellular signal. When activated, internet speeds will be reduced to speeds up to 30 Mbps download/7 Mbps upload.

Coverage works within Xfinity Mobile service areas with no additional requirements.

What cellular network does Storm-Ready WiFi connect to?
The Storm-Ready WiFi device connects to the award-winning Xfinity Mobile network and provides WiFi based on the Xfinity 4G LTE connection. You can expect core internet features and applications to be supported when in back up mode, including but not limited to: messaging, video and music streaming, internet browsing, gaming, and video calling.

Where should I place the Storm-Ready WiFi device?
For best optimization, the Storm-Ready WiFi device should be positioned between five and 30 feet from the Xfinity Gateway. Additionally, the device should be in an elevated position near a window for the best cellular signal.

How do I activate Storm-Ready WiFi?
You can activate Storm-Ready WiFi using the Xfinity app. The app walks you through the entire Storm-Ready WiFi setup and activation process, which takes about 15 minutes.

How will I know when my Storm-Ready WiFi device is in Outage mode vs. WiFi extender mode?
When Storm-Ready WiFi switches over to Outage mode:

• The LED on the front of the device will appear solid white.
  • The Xfinity Gateway LED will blink amber.

You'll see a notification card on the Overview tab of the Xfinity app.

I use two gateways on my home network for internet and voice service. Can I also use Storm-Ready WiFi?
No. Storm-Ready WiFi is not compatible with home networks that have more than one active Xfinity Gateway or modem.

Do I need to have Xfinity Mobile for Storm-Ready WiFi to work?
No.

Additional Resources

Xfinity Storm Ready WiFi - Internet Backup for Network & Power Outages

Xfinity Storm-Ready WiFi Overview 

Xfinity Storm-Ready WiFi FAQs

‎ANSWERED: How to activate and troubleshoot your Xfinity Storm-Ready WiFi

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
No Responses!
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here