U

Visitor

• 

16 Messages

Tuesday, February 27th, 2024 8:53 AM

XB7, xFinity Voice & Bridge Mode

Hello:

Currently, we rent an XB7 gateway and are considering enabling bridge mode.  We subscribe to xFinity voice and I want to ensure that xFinity voice (landline phone) services will continue to work, via the XB7 gateway, after we enable bridge mode.  Thanks ahead of time for this clarification.

Visitor

• 

16 Messages

4 months ago

Hello:

We currently rent an XB7 and I am curious to know if we "reset" the Wi-Fi module, within the XB7, if this erases the port forwarding configurations we have already configured, via xFi/xFinity app.  Thanks for any confirmation.

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled XB7, Port Forwarding & Wi-Fi Reset

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

@user_6b96bf If you're having issues with wireless connections this will just reset the radios in the modem so you don't have to fully reboot the modem if you have hardwire connections. This should not impact your Port Forwarding settings. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

16 Messages

Thanks for your response, XfinityPeterH.  The terminology of "reset" and "reboot" within the XB7 is a little confusing.  Regarding the Wi-Fi radios, if I both "reset" and "reboot" the Wi-Fi module within the XB7, in other words, if I wish to completely wipe out/erase the Wi-Fi configurations and start over, am I correct that I do this, via the "reset"/"reboot" troubleshooting sections for the Wi-Fi module, within the XB7?  As we previously discussed, the important part here is that I do NOT want to wipe out the already-configured port forwarding settings.

Also, if we enable "bridge mode," does our xFinity voice (landline) service continue working, via the XB7?  And, once we do this, I have read the admin portal is disabled on the XB7.  Yet, in doing this, what is the IP address/IP address range of the XB7 following enabling "bridge mode"?  I need to know this, as our user-owned router needs to be configured with the proper IP address range/subnet.

Thanks for these clarifications, XfinityPeterH!

Visitor

• 

16 Messages

Sorry for this additional post, I am unable to edit my previous post.

I wanted to add a question...when the XB7 is in "bridge mode," where does the admin portal live, still at 10.0.0.1 or somewhere else?  And, if somewhere else, where is that address?  Given the possibilities here, am I correct to assume that our own router needs to be configured with an IP address range/subnet different from the "bridged" XB7?  In other words, if the XB7 is still at 10.0.0.1, our own router could not live within the 10.0.0.x range, correct?

Thanks!

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

A restart or reboot of the Xfinity Gateway will not change any WiFi, port forwarding, or bridge mode settings. A factory reset restores Gateway to its original default settings, removing any previous configurations including the WiFi name and password. 
When enabling the Bridge Mode feature on the Gateway, the wireless routing capabilities will be turned off, and will leave the modem capabilities on not impacting the Xfinity Voice service. Once Bridge Mode is enabled, any ethernet port can be used but only one device can be connected to the Gateway while in Bridge Mode. Also, you can still access the Xfinity app to manage your account, however you won’t be able to use the app to manage and personalize your network. You will still have access to the Xfinity Gateways Admin Tool at http://10.0.0.1 to toggle bridge mode on and off if needed. We are not sure on what the IP address range would be since all router functions will be disabled on the Gateway while in bridge mode.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

16 Messages

@XfinityMartyR​ 

Hello, XfinityMartyR!  Thanks for your response; I greatly appreciate your confirmation.  As I indicated to Bruce below, I have read others on these forums, indicating a "bridged" XB7's IP address gets switched from 10.0.0.1 to something akin to 192.168.x.x.  Since January, we have been looking into installing our own router, behind a "bridged" XB7, since we do NOT use a smart phone to manage our network and we are feeling "cut off" from our own local area network.  Installing our own router behind a "bridged" XB7 would provide us the local area network configurations we need, to properly manager our LAN, again, since we do NOT use a smart phone for such activities.  This is why I am curious as to the IP address of a "bridged" XB7.  If the admin portal remains at 10.0.0.1, my assumption is that I would need to configure our own router with a different IP address range, to properly set up our LAN, in this situation.  I would greatly appreciate any additional information you may be able to provide us; once again, thank you!

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.6K Messages

4 months ago

... We are not sure on what the IP address range would be ...

In bridge mode there is no "IP address range". Only one of the gateway's Ethernet ports is active, and it passes a single public IP to a single connected device, usually a computer or a Wifi router.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Visitor

• 

16 Messages

@BruceW​ 

Hi, BruceW:

Thanks for your response.  I'm with you on what you are saying; however, some on these forums have indicated the XB7's admin portal is still accessible at 10.0.0.1, while the gateway is in Bridge Mode, allowing one to disable "Bridge Mode," via the admin portal.  XfinityMartyR has just confirmed above that the admin portal is still accessible, with the XB7 in "Bridge Mode," at 10.0.0.1, allowing users to disable "Bridge Mode".  On these forums, others have indicated the admin portal is switched to another IP address range, something akin to 192.168.x.x, when "Bridge Mode" is enabled.  If we install our own router behind the XB7 (in "Bridge Mode"), I wanted to know the IP address of the "bridged" XB7, so that, I could assign a proper IP address range on our own router, as to not cause any networking issues.  Once again, thank you for your information; I'd be happy to hear any additional information you may have, relating to the "bridged" IP address of an XB7.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.6K Messages

4 months ago

... I wanted to know the IP address of the "bridged" XB7 ...

The admin page(s) should be available at either http://10.0.0.1 or http://192.168.100.1.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here