sbwinter2's profile

Contributor

• 

198 Messages

Tuesday, March 9th, 2021 1:00 PM

Closed

Sending private messages when someone has closed an active thread

So, recently a past employee closed a thread that had started a year ago, but had recently been very active as new informaiton had just been released. Since the active thread was inappropriatly closed (and inconsistently since there are other threads on the same topic that are still open and haven't had comments for a year), I could not ask the for it to be re-opened on the thread itself. I messaged him to ask him to reopen it. He said that I should start a new thread, which I have, but also said that no one is allowed to send a private message to someone without permission.

So that doesn't make sense to me. What is the point of offering a private message system if no one is supposed to use it? And what were my options to communicate with this person if not by private message? I didn't feel it was right to ask this person to re-open that thread on another thread, for example. Was I supposed to report this behavior to the admin? What are my options when a thread is incorrectly closed?

Expert

• 

30.5K Messages

3 years ago

@sbwinter2 wrote:

So, recently a past employee closed a thread that had started a year ago, but had recently been very active as new informaiton had just been released. Since the active thread was inappropriatly closed (and inconsistently since there are other threads on the same topic that are still open and haven't had comments for a year), I could not ask the for it to be re-opened on the thread itself. I messaged him to ask him to reopen it. He said that I should start a new thread, which I have, but also said that no one is allowed to send a private message to someone without permission.

So that doesn't make sense to me. What is the point of offering a private message system if no one is supposed to use it? And what were my options to communicate with this person if not by private message? I didn't feel it was right to ask this person to re-open that thread on another thread, for example. Was I supposed to report this behavior to the admin? What are my options when a thread is incorrectly closed?

The thread was not "incorrectly" closed and the correct thing to do was to start a new thread on the subject.

As far as private messages go, it's forum policy to NOT send a private message to anyone unless specifically asked to do so.

"To help maintain our forum design, we ask that you never send unsolicited/unwanted private messages to any employee or user in these forums unless specifically asked to do so."

Contributor

• 

198 Messages

3 years ago

How come only the active thread, with posts over the past couple of days, was closed and not the other threads on the same topic which haven't had activity for about a year? THOSE old are still open. It seems inconsistent.

So, if I disagree with something a moderator does, is the answer to report it to the admin? Again, I am aksing what the process is and not for an evaluation of what was done.

Expert

• 

30.5K Messages

3 years ago

@sbwinter2 wrote:

How come only the active thread, with posts over the past couple of days, was closed and not the other threads on the same topic which haven't had activity for about a year? THOSE old are still open. It seems inconsistent.

So, if I disagree with something a moderator does, is the answer to report it to the admin? Again, I am aksing what the process is and not for an evaluation of what was done.

Sure, feel free.

Retired Employee

• 

5.9K Messages

3 years ago

@sbwinter2 

Welcome to the Xfinity Forum and thank you for posting your question. If you are ever concerned about threads being locked or if you believe a moderator may have locked a thread prematurely, feel free to report the thread to an Admin (directions below). This will alert our admin team to review the thread and decide if it needs to remain closed or if it should be reopened. 

How to report a post to Xfinity Forum Admins

If you see a post that you would like to alert Xfinity Forum admins about you can do so by following the directions below.

• Navigate to a post that you would like to alert forum admins about, click the “3 dot” options menu in the upper right corner of the post. Click Report Inappropriate Content

ComcastJessie_0-1615387252586.png

• You will be directed to a new page. Here you will leave a brief explanation as to why you are reporting the post. Once you have left your explanation, click Notify Moderator.

ComcastJessie_1-1615387252592.png

*Note*: Forum admins receive these reports via email and may take up to 24 hours to be responded to.

This process can be done on any forum post if you believe it needs additional admin review (including locked posts). 

If you are subscribed to the thread, you will be alerted in your Xfinity Forum notification if the post is unlocked. 

I hope this addresses your concerns, please let us know if you have any other questions. 

Contributor

• 

198 Messages

3 years ago

Great information. Thank you very much.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.6K Messages

3 years ago

Navigate to a post that you would like to alert forum admins about, click the “3 dot” options menu in the upper right corner of the post. Click Report Inappropriate Content

@ComcastJessie : How do we report inappropriate content in the new "Sprinklr" version of the forum?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here