F

Friday, May 24th, 2024 3:02 PM

Slow response by Xumo box in starting apps, responding to actions

Previously a happy customer with the Xfinity Flex, I made a mistake in ordering a Xumo Box and the experience is frustrating. I see some posts that describe similar experiences.

First issue is performance - Xumo is really slow to respond! When I press a button on the remote to select an app it takes ~3-5 seconds just for the app logo to show on the screen, and then it takes 4-7 seconds for the app to launch. Overall it can be anywhere from 5-10+ seconds from clicking on the remote to being in the app. On the Flex pressing the button had an instant response, and app launch usually 2-3 seconds, so a huge difference.

Customer support walked me through factory resetting the box, upgrading, signing in to my service again, etc. with no difference in performance. What is your experience?

8 Messages

26 days ago

Does the lack of replies mean no one else is experiencing lag and slow responses from their Xumo box? As part of an completely unscientific survey, I'm curious how long it takes for AppleTV or YouTube launch (from the time you select the app via your remote to the point where it's fully running) on your Xumo box, and your Flex box if you still have one.

Otherwise, the next step that was suggested was to take the box in for a replacement but I'm a bit skeptical of that...hardware doesn't usually fail by just responding slowly, at least in my experience.

Xfinity employees and forum moderators, your expert opinion would be appreciated. Thank you.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

955 Messages

Hi @FlowingBits Thank you for reaching out on the Xfinity Community Forums. It definitely can be frustrating when you don't get a lot of replies on a forum. We are here to help you out! It's true that slowness isn't always a sign of failing hardware. Even if your internet seems stable, there could be temporary slowdowns affecting the Xumo box. Are you able to hardwire the Xumo box to see if you are seeing better results when launching the apps and general use?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

8 Messages

@XfinityJanelle Appreciate the reply. First, an update: I took customer support's advice and exchanged the Xumo box I had for a replacement. While I was hopeful it would improve the situation, it didn't. The time taken to launch apps is still about the same, in the range of 7-10 (or more) seconds which is too slow.

Can you tell me typical launch times I should expect with the Xumo box? I would like to compare with the performance Xfinity expects from this device.

The Xumo box is on a 5GHz wireless connection (tried 2.4GHz as well) so it should have good speed and bandwidth. There isn't a wired connection where the Xumo box is but I will move it to a different location and report results.

BTW, the lag I am experiencing is simply the time taken to respond from the time I select an app (1-2 seconds to respond, the busy "cursor" shows for ~1 second, then it appears stuck for 1-2 seconds, then a back screen, then the app logo for 4-7 seconds). Once in the app I can navigate reasonably interactively and streaming is not an issue - I have Gigabit service. My reference comparison for "slow" is he Flex box I had a couple of weeks ago, with the same network connection and network hardware.

Thanks.

(edited)

8 Messages

@XfinityJanelle

I finally found time to move the Xumo box to a location where I could connect an ethernet cable and I can report that being wired made practically no difference in the slow performance issue reported here. For my test I shut down the Xumo, connected the ethernet cable, booted it and ran the following apps to measure how long it took from selection to full launch: AppleTV+, YouTube, Peacock, Hulu, Prime Video and Netflix. Then I shut down the box, removed the cable and repeated the test in the same physical location.

Applications are very slow to load, and I see no discernible difference when the Xumo box is running wired or wireless. Some apps are slower, e.g. AppleTV+ and Prime Video, whereas others are fast, e.g. Netflix. The behavior stayed consistent between wired and wireless setup. I see a post by user_vnxg63 where they report a similar performance issue, so it leads me to believe what I am experiencing is not isolated.

@XfinityJanelle Are you able to share typical launch times I should expect with the Xumo box? I would like to compare with the performance Xfinity expects from this device. Thank you.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here