U

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

Saturday, February 3rd, 2024 8:23 PM

Sudden influx of fake icloud address spam not geting filtered

Is Xfinity doing anything to resolve sudden influx of obvious spam from apparent icloud domain addresses that gets through your spam filter? It started a week or two ago (mid January 2024). One of my comcast addresses gets several to half a dozen spam emails per day from different "icloud.com" email addresses. They are obviously spam to the human eye, based on the subject and sender/from display name. For examples: 
Sender: E-D_Cure_dr-0z<*** [Edited: "Personal Information"]>  Subject: s--“H-ard_A-s_A_R-ock”_T-echnique_
Sender: y_/SonoBello_/y<*** [Edited: "Personal Information"]> Subject: y_/$250 off Liposuction_/y

I had to put in a temporary filter to shunt all emails from unknown icloud.com emails to a folder, then I have to log into the web and check daily to make sure that no legitimate email has gone there. I always assign the bad emails to spam via the web mail client, but they just keep coming. My spam filter is on, and occasionally catches other spam, so it is working as far as it goes. Xfinity spam algorithm is inadequate. Especially because it lets so much spam through, then randomly decides that legitimate email is spam.

Problem Solver

• 

1.3K Messages

6 months ago

@user_8fd0bd Hi there, thanks for the post. I'm not seeing any known issues about this on our end. With the filter you have in place, have there been any actual valid emails that went into the spam section? 

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

It is an occasional thing that valid emails go to spam, and hasn't happened very recently. The main problem with me having a filter that intercepts all emails from icloud except X and y (people that I know have icloud addresses and can add to the filter) is that I might get valid emails from icloud addresses that I don't have in my address book  - then if I forget to log into the web client, I won't see those.

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

1.3K Messages

6 months ago

@user_8fd0bd Gotcha. I would try to reach out Customer Security Assurance Team. You can reach them through the main 1800-Xfinity phone line and they can look into that for you. 

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

Thanks. I don't really feel like hanging out on the phone to try and reach a solution, though I may if it isn't resolved in another week. A bunch of these messages went to spam recently, but others did not and had to go through the filter (2 yesterday and one on Friday, some others before that), so I still cannot remove the filter.

Official Employee

• 

898 Messages

@user_8fd0bd I can understand not wanting to be on the phone. Is it ok for us to follow up with you Friday or Monday to check in on your email concerns. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Official Employee

• 

843 Messages

@user_8fd0bd The short answer is "mark them as spam" as that will help train the filters.  I'll discuss this with the anti-spam folks, and see what they can perhaps do about it.  If this keeps up, I'll see if I can get a hold of some contacts at Apple.  We've been tracking some of their spam from icloud.com, but looks like they've recently ramped up.

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

@XfinityKei​  I did not notice your suggestion until 11 days after posted. Oops. I am unlikely to notice/hear a phone call from a number that isn't in my contacts. If there is a way to set up a time for a call, that would work for me.

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

@XfinityAlex​ I am continuing to mark them as spam, but it doesn't seem to have done much good. Probably they are all from unique addresses at icloud.

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

5 months ago

I am still regularly getting obvious spam messages from icloud addresses making it through the Xfinity spam filter (I don't see a way to include a screengrab here, or I would). I regularly log into Xfinity web mail and mark them as spam. Since spam is deleted after a week (doesn't seem to be a way of changing that), the earlier ones have diappeared. This morning there were ~20 icloud return address emails received between 2/17 and morning of 2/24 that had not been caught by Xfinity spam filter. Seemingly all from unique icloud addresses, but it is hard to tell because I can't show all the actual (not display) addresses at once.

You can see that some type of AI for spam filter would work better than what you have. Examples of display addresses (each associated with an icloud address if you look at source):

Apple iCloud u Sirius.XM-.com QG <e> Nerve Health 623
<m> Annuities 857
<d> Powersaver 791
<d> Hurry UP 012
<> USA Home Protection
<> Audien Atom
<d> Audien Atom
<0> Portable Heater
<U> Portable Heater <a> Apple
Blood Sugar Health /n <m> Tribal Remedy
<g> TriFlexarin
Lowe's Home Improvement /y

Examples of subject lines that a human would know are spam:

u Your-SiriusXM-Membership-has-Expired-577
<e> Protect Your Nest Egg Today! 623
<m> Protect Your Nest Egg Today! 857
<d> Save Energy and Reduce Your Bills 791
<d> Peacock TV Limited Time OFFER 012
<e>Free Home Protection- Act Now
<> Hear Like Never Before
<> Premium Crystal-Clear Sound <p> Elon Musk's <i> Elon Musk's
<> Your iCloud Storage Full.
/n/ MD: Do this immediately if you have diabetes <w> Congratulations
<S> BoneOnBone
#6078455 /y
#5337746 /a
<y> Kelly Clarkson: Nothing else worked for me <r> iCloud Storage Full

Official Employee

• 

843 Messages

@user_8fd0bd​ I've escalated this up to the appropriate folks.  As you note, the pattern is fairly obvious to humans.  Machines (even those using AI) don't always spot patterns in the same way.

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

@XfinityAlex​ For whatever reason, there has been a big decrease in this type of emails to my account recently, so something must have worked

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here