BruceW's profile

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

Monday, July 22nd, 2024 11:59 AM

Problems with Appsuite "Collected addresses"

Some weeks ago I noticed that Connect webmail was "collecting" some addresses from incoming email in a random fashion. Only some addresses, and I have not been able to figure out why some are "collected" while most are not. I did not understand that as I had turned off "Collected addresses" ages ago, as soon as "Appsuite" webmail replaced "Zimbra". So I made my way to

(gear icon) / "Email settings" / "Mail" / "Behavior"

and discovered that turning off Collected addresses "While sending" was still available, but the option for "While reading" was gone. In the past the "Behavior" checkbox settings were:

•       Permanently remove deleted emails
  •       While sending, automatically collect contacts in the folder "Collected addresses"
  •       While reading, automatically collect contacts in the folder "Collected addresses"
  •       Ask for mailto link registration (Register now)

But now, as of Connect v7.10.6-12-3, the "While reading" option is gone on both my desktop and my phone. The current "Behavior" setting options are:

•       Permanently remove deleted emails
      •       While sending, automatically collect contacts in the folder "Collected addresses"
      •       Ask for mailto link registration (Register now [link])

The "While reading" option is gone and I can't turn off "collecting" for random incoming addresses.

Also why can't I delete groups of "Collected address"? As soon as I select more than one address, the "Delete" option turns gray and no longer works. I can only delete them One. By. One. Comcast has said that this is a "safety feature", but that's absurd. I can delete every single one of my Connect emails if I want to, but I can only delete Address Book entries one at a time??? That makes no sense.

Both the collect "Behavior" settings and the "no group Collected addresses delete" have been tested in Firefox, Chrome, and Edge. And yes, I've cleared cache and cookies. Yes, the browsers are up to date. This is on a Windows 11 23H2 desktop. It is up to date as well.

I don't want Connect to do ANY "collecting", EVER. Why can I no longer turn this off???

Why can't I delete groups of "Collected address"???

ETA: Connect seems to add addresses to "Collected" when I select a message in the Spam folder, and then click "Not spam". The selected message moves to the Inbox, and a few seconds later its "From:" address is added to "Collected addresses". It doesn't seem to matter whether the message was loaded into Spam by Comcast, or if I moved it there.

ETA: It doesn't matter whether I use the "Not spam" icon, or drag a message from the Spam folder back to the Inbox. Either way, the "From:" address in that email is added to "Collected addresses" a few seconds a few seconds later.

???

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

2 months ago

Greetings, @BruceW! I hope your week has been treating you well. Thank you for leaving a post on our community forum about this email issue. I honestly wasn't aware of these changes before you brought this up, but I would be more than happy to look into this for you. Please feel free to send me a direct message when you have time, and I will create a ticket with our advanced support team to see if they can offer any insight. It will be good for everyone to have some better clarification on this.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

2 months ago

@XfinityJamesC wrote: "... Please feel free to send me a direct message ..."

How? And with what information? You didn't say. I sent a message to Xfinity Support, but have received no acknowledgement.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

2 months ago

@BruceW Thank you for your response and direct message. Reading over the specifics again of your initial post, and it is really taking me back in time to my repair days and my primary focus on internet and email! When I started that support we were still on smart zone! 

I am trying to locate the details for controlling the option for emails collected and as you found we only have the option to opt out of collecting them while sending. When you uncheck that options, does it remain unchecked when you navigate away from the settings and back to the settings? 

For deleting collected addresses, I see the issue you are experiencing. When selecting more than one contact the edit and delete options are greyed out. I don't think that this is working as intended, because that's a poorly designed intention, so I would like to bring both issues to the repair team to investigate and work with the platform team to address any unintended behaviors. 

I will follow up with you in the direct message. I wanted to make sure I replied publically that we are working to investigate this issue and let other's know if you have the same trouble to please comment and allow us to help you as well. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

2 months ago

@XfinityPaula asked "... option to opt out of collecting them while sending. When you uncheck that options, does it remain unchecked ..."

Yes, it does, and Connect does not seem to be collecting addresses from emails I'm sending, only from some inbound messages.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

2 months ago

I just want to note that, regarding the lost "While reading, automatically collect contacts" option, this is not the first time that something in the Connect settings has gone missing. See, for example, The Curious Case of the Missing Auto Reply Checkbox in https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/email/where-is-the-auto-reply-turn-off-option/64dfc706de75d267de81b434?commentId=64e0e1efde75d267de81c5c0 (reported missing 8-18-2023, restored 8-25-2023).

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Thank you so much for this info @BruceW. Our team is still looking into this. Once we have an update on the ticket that was opened for you, we will provide you with an update. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
          Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
          We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
          Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Official Employee

• 

135 Messages

2 months ago

As always, thank you for raising this issue, Bruce.

In this instance, the option to enable or disable the feature is not missing. The collection of addresses upon reading was removed. Unfortunately, we overlooked the need to disable this feature for your mailbox.

We are actively working to rectify this issue and anticipate a resolution by the end of the business day tomorrow.

Gabriel 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

2 months ago

... The collection of addresses upon reading was removed ...

Why doesn't the company let us know about this stuff??? Why isn't this documented anywhere???

... anticipate a resolution by the end of the business day tomorrow.

As it happens, no new addresses have been "collected" since I created this topic last week. Time will tell if this happy state of affairs continues.

ETA: It didn't.

(edited)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

2 months ago

Also, what about the restriction that prevents us from deleting groups of Address Book entries? Why are we limited to deleting them one at a time? As @XfinityPaula stated above, "that's a poorly designed intention". Are we stuck with that one?

And I just noticed that although a "Reminder To Accept Solution" email asks me to "mark one as an Accepted solution", that option does not appear for any of the posts in the thread. Why not? The options for my own posts are "Edit/Delete/Copy Link", and for posts by others just "Copy Link/Flag as Inappropriate". Why am I not seeing an "Accept as Solution" option?

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

That is a little unusual, @BruceW. I am seeing that option for every post in this discussion right now, so I know the option exists, but I'm not sure why the option isn't showing up for you. I'm assuming you would have already checked your browser settings to make sure there wasn't a cache/cookies issue, because I've seen you recommend the same thing to other users in the past. Let me ask the Community Forum Team if they know why this would be happening, and I will post a response here as soon as they get back to me.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
          We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

2 months ago

... make sure there wasn't a cache/cookies issue ...

Cache and cookies cleared, and tested in Firefox, Chrome, and Edge. None of them have an "Accept Solution" option, only the options I listed above.

... Let me ask the Community Forum Team ...

While you're at it, could you ask them why I don't get any notification whatsoever for Replies, like the one you posted above? If I hadn't pulled up the thread to check it I would not have know you Replied. I have NEVER received notification for Replies, not no way and not no how, not by email and not by the "bell" icon, not once since the switch to the Sprinklr based Forums over 3 years ago!

PLEASE???

And why do you continue to ignore the notice that:

... if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

So frustrating . . .

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Thank you for bringing that to our attention, @BruceW. I will ask about that as well. Our systems only allow us to use the "Reply" option on the public thread, unfortunately, so I apologize for the lack of notification. If it helps, I can send you a direct message as soon as I receive a response from the team. Do you receive notifications for those messages?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

2 months ago

@XfinityJamesC wrote: "... If it helps, I can send you a direct message ..."

Those have always worked for me so yes, until such time, if any, as Reply notifications are working, a DM would be an appreciated workaround for the problem. Thanks!

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

2 months ago

The "From:" addresses for two emails that arrived today got pulled into "Collected addresses", one from "TiVo Customer Support (Do Not Reply)", and one from "Xperi Customer Support (Do Not Reply)". How can this be, since as @XfinityGabrielS wrote above: "The ability to add to collected when reading was removed and disabled"??? Even better, both of these were delivered to my Spam folder (both headers contain "X-CAA-SPAM: F00001"). Why is Comcast "collecting" addresses it considers to be spammer addresses???

Now if only:

• I had a way to turn off the unwanted collection of addresses from incoming emails
          • I had a way to delete multiple collected addresses all at once, instead of one at time

Perfection eludes us . . .

(edited)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

2 months ago

Above I wrote that I didn't have an option to  "Accept as Solution". I was looking for it among the items of the "triple dot" menu in the upper right of each post. To my embarrassment I just realized that a bold "Mark as Accepted Answer" appears to the right of "Like" and "Reply" below each post in the thread. Somehow I just didn't see it before. Sorry! Sorry! Sorry! 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

2 months ago

New information: Connect seems to add addresses to "Collected" when I select a message in the Spam folder, and then click "Not spam". The selected message moves to the Inbox, and a minute or two later, its "From:" address is added to "Collected addresses". It doesn't seem to matter whether the message was loaded into Spam by Comcast, or I moved it there.

???

ETA: It doesn't matter whether I use the "Not spam" icon, or drag a message from the Spam folder back to the Inbox. Either way, the "From:" address in that email is added to "Collected addresses" when the message moves back to the Inbox.

???

To repeat what I posted above: I don't want Connect to do ANY "collecting" EVER

(edited)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

1 month ago

Above, employee @XfinityGabrielS wrote that the ability to delete multiple address book entries was removed:

... intentionally due to bad actors taking advantage of the feature to cover their tracks. 

Worse, each one-at-a-time delete requires a "Do you really want to delete this contact?" confirmation step, which slows down the process even further. So we have an email system which allows us to delete every single email with just a few clicks, but "protects" the address book by slowing the delete process to a crawl. This makes no sense to me.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here