U

Tuesday, August 15th, 2023 8:16 PM

Closed

Problem communicating with the smtp server using the SSL encryption setting with 3rd party APPS, iPhone email and MS Outlook

I have been using MS Outlook and the iPhone email apps for years with the current email settings shown on the XFINITY website. Yesterday my apps on both devices could no longer send email out. Incoming email continued to be received. I received the following error message in Outlook:

Sending' reported error (0x800CCC1A) : 'Your server does not support the connection encryption type you have specified. Try changing the encryption method. Contact your mail server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP) for additional assistance.'

I contacted Comcast email support.  With their assistance deleted the existing email accounts on both devices and tried to enter the accounts again as new with the settings recommended by the customer service representative. Both attempts to enter new accounts failed for not being able to communicate with the smtp server. What has changed with communicating with the smtp server at Comcast. I worked with iPhone technical support and they gave me the same settings that also failed. How do I reestablish my email accounts?

Official Employee

• 

867 Messages

1 year ago

@user_df07b3 I assume both are up to date via the app store?  We didn't make changes this week or last that would have changed the ciphers or SSL configurations for SMTP.  Could you share which iOS version you have? and maybe which version of Outlook?

2 Messages

@XfinityAlex​ I am a Comcast XFINITY Internet customer in Reading Ma. Over the last week I spent seven days in southern California. While there, I accessed my XFINITY email account via iPhone email and Outlook on my laptop. For 5 of the first 6 days everything worked just fine and then stopped on the sixth day with the error message I reported. Since nothing on my devices changed, I assumed that the Comcast end changed, not thinking that the access through a WIFI hub connected to Spectrum ISP may have changed and was at fault. I was wrong. When I returned to Reading, I was able to re-establish all account access on both devices without any difficulty. Obviously, something changed and the router located in the building I was located in did not change. I reported to my host that they should be aware of what happened should something similar occur again. Thank you for your very timely reply. All is now well.

Official Employee

• 

867 Messages

@user_df07b3 Ah, good to hear.  Thanks for the update

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here