U

Tuesday, July 23rd, 2024 9:11 PM

Port 25 unblock (incoming), need to get email server back online

I host my own email server at home and I would like to be able to receive emails. Since moving my server from my previous residence with another ISP, to Xfinity, I am unable to receive any email. I've spent upwards of 5 hours on the phone with CSA to get escalated to the top support tier, but haven't had any luck. I see several customers have been able to get this fixed in recent times, so hopefully someone at Xfinity sees this and can help.

- https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/email/how-many-calls-does-it-take-to-get-port-25-unblocked-and-my-email-server-back-online/63d465a0d9aa6753d37aac3a?commentId=63da76b98055430082f5ff1a

- https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/email/can-i-get-port-25-unblocked-again/642b892b4d04032f946153c8?commentId=643927ea906b2274f778ed1a

- https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/email/port-25-unblock-art-of-the-business-as-usual-runaround-and-is-there-anybody-out-there/636861fc92a15b227c29043f?commentId=636960bf92a15b227c2914d0

- https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/email/reprise-unblock-port-25/65dba302a675d54e94bce604?commentId=65dfe2f0a675d54e94bd3d32&replyId=65e0b0eea675d54e94bd562f

14 Messages

2 months ago

@XfinityCSAEmail @XfinityAlex much appreciated if someone can help me or nudge the right person!

Official Employee

• 

862 Messages

@user_12vvs6​ I don't have the power to do this.  I'll send the thread to them, and let them respond here.

18 Messages

test this new comment added tyo my account

<svg/alert(1)><svg><svgalert(1)><svg> # newline char<svg alert(1)><svg> # tab char<svg alert(1)><svg> # new page char (0xc)

Official Employee

• 

103 Messages

1 month ago

Hello @user_12vvs6 unfortunately Comcast does not support port 25 for the transmission of email by our residential Internet customers any longer. If you would like more information you can follow this link https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/email-port-25-no-longer-supported to review our updated policy.

14 Messages

I am not using port 25 for email "submission". As in all of links I shared of others who were helped, I am not trying to submit mail to my server or any other server. Port 25 is the only supported port for one email server (not a client!) to send an email to another email server. I just want my server to be able to "listen" for incoming emails. I don't actually care to send emails out from it. If port 25 can be unblocked in the inbound direction, but not the outbound direction, then I can receive email but not send any. There is no possible way for spam to be spread this way.

14 Messages

I understand that connecting out to port 25 is possible to abuse for spam/malware, and I have no problem with this being blocked. Other ISPs including the one which I moved from (not available at my current address yet) allow inbound port 25 traffic by default without any special request to support. There is no possible way to send spam with the firewall being "one-way" like this, and Xfinity should really change it to be the same.

14 Messages

The Xfinity support page you link also falsely states that the IETF recommends blocking port 25. The linked RFC explicitly states as much.

This document offers no recommendation concerning the blocking of SMTP port 25 or similar practices for controlling abuse of the standard anonymous mail transfer port. Rather, it pursues the mutually constructive benefit of using the official SUBMISSION port 587 [RFC4409].

What it does say about blocking is that it is commonly done by some providers, but it does specify only that OUTBOUND is blocked.

A proactive technique used by some providers is to block all use of
   port 25 SMTP for mail that is being sent outbound

The lack of service and the disinformation about this topic is very frustrating. The fix is absolutely simple here.

14 Messages

you say "updated policy" implying that policy has changed since the instances of other customers being helped that I linked. This is not apparent though as the port 25 policy page has existed at least since 2018 https://web.archive.org/web/20181201000000*/https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/email-port-25-no-longer-supported

14 Messages

@XfinitySPAAbuse​ maybe you can get the attention of someone who can help with this? It would be so awesome to get this fixed for everyone, so that time in the future isn't wasted with these requests. I do not see any practical/security-related reason why Xfinity is alone in not allowing even inbound connections.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

1 month ago

@user_12vvs6 wrote: "... I just want my server to be able to "listen" for incoming emails. ..."

Communication with a mail server requires a conversation between two devices, and the conversation requires traffic to travel in both directions, correct? I don't see how software could "listen for incoming emails" without being able to send as well as receive over the connection.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

14 Messages

A TCP connection is initiated by a 3-way handshake. The first step "SYN" is done by the server starting the connection. A "stateful" firewall tracks the state of all connections, putting the remote IP address/port in a table. When the local server responds the traffic is then allowed out because the destination IP address and port match the one previously stored in the table. This way the server can respond, but only when spoken to first.

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

1 month ago

There are several of us out there who run our own mail servers for a variety of reasons. The various links in the OP to other posts on these forums will show this and the frustration with the process.

I'm interested to see where this goes as I've had to deal with getting exceptions from time to time in the 20 years I've had this service, which has gotten progressively more difficult.  I did receive an email from Comcast yesterday informing me this was coming:

"Xfinity no longer supports port 25 for email by our residential internet users. In the past, exceptions were made to unblock this restriction, but as of August 25, 2024, we will no longer allow these exceptions."

@XfinitySPAAbuse​ , does this mean we will need to upgrade to a Business plan or does this moratorium apply there as well?   

(edited)

14 Messages

Thank you for commenting with your experience. My use case is just for receiving mail, so it is especially frustrating that the distinction between outbound/inbound connections is completely ignored by this policy. With regards to business plan, I would hate to have to pay 2x as much/month + 2 year contract. At least on the website it also forces you to rent their modem, security product, and installation fees.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

1 month ago

@user_12vvs6 wrote: "A TCP connection is initiated by a 3-way handshake ..."

Thank you. You just explained why it isn't possible to just "listen for incoming emails" on an inbound-only connection. Setting up a TCP session requires both inbound and outbound traffic.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

14 Messages

Your sarcasm is not appreciated by anyone who comprehends what I explained. Of course packets must be sent as well but they are filtered to only the remote IP+Port pair that initiated the connection. If you would like, I am glad to help clarify the details in DMs or elsewhere, but otherwise I'm afraid we are sidetracking the issue.

14 Messages

1 month ago

@XfinitySPAAbuse I have paid accounts with other service providers registered to this email, and would like to be able to receive 2 factor authentication codes and such so I can access these accounts.

Official Employee

• 

862 Messages

@user_12vvs6​ You'll need to connect the domain to a hosted provider, or Comcast Business accounts can have inbound/outbound port 25.

14 Messages

1 month ago

In the interest of being minimally intrusive and a neutral service provider it would really be nice to not block anything that doesn't need to be blocked. It doesn't seem this is issue going anywhere because apparently few understand the distinction between outbound and inbound connections, and most rely on 3rd parties to run their services. In the meanwhile I have switched to using another local ISP that only blocks *outbound* port 25 connections. Maybe someone in the right department will eventually see all these posts. The solution may be as simple as 1 command/line of code :(

Official Employee

• 

862 Messages

@user_12vvs6​ Inbound port 25 has been blocked for quite a while, as the Residential ToS/AUP says that users will not run servers (or something like that).  That suggests that one should not be running an inbound service on port 25 (as a server).

Blocked internet ports list - Xfinity Support

Comcast Acceptable Use Policy for High-Speed Internet (xfinity.com)

Another option is Comcast Business services, which do allow for port 25 (inbound and outbound), as well as other ports blocked per policy by the Residential AUP.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here