Linche's profile

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, March 10th, 2022 1:25 AM

Closed

Permanently blocking spam senders

Recently I'm getting A LOT of spam.  (I use Thunderbird.)  So, two questions:

1)  The "Filter" process is really cumbersome to permanently block senders of spam.  Is there an easier way? 

2)  Is there a way to have a desktop shortcut to Comcast email?  And to have it show my gmail emails too?  (Using Thunderbird is the only way I've found to see mail from both of my accounts in one place.

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Contributor

• 

271 Messages

2 years ago

I guess the only way to resolve this, would be to continue to manually mark obvious spam that made it into the Inbox and hopefully Comcast will eventually learn what's spam from Gmail and what isn't.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@edwardp​ Thanks to you both.

I actually went through all my sign-in's where I used my Gmail.com address, changed them to my Comcast email and deleted my Gmail email account.

I didn't give the Gmail address out much but maybe it will cut down a little on the TONS of spam I'm getting.

I've looked for a replacement for Thunderbird that allows you to block senders but - found none.  Lots of programs to filter email but that's another step - and many of them aren't free.

Everyone knows how much spam people get every day but no email providers seem to care.  As far as "training" email programs, that would be great *in theory* but spammers just switch Gmail addresses so our email programs can't "learn".

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Absolutely understand your position and frustration with wanting to mitigate spam. Our team always wants to ensure you are able to have the highest confidence in our services and support. You are a greatly valued member of our Xfinity family. Helping you navigate the process for establishing the new account and allowing you to feel that you have the most support possible, do not hesitate to ask anything you might need during the configuration. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Expert

• 

29.5K Messages

2 years ago

Trying to use filters to control spam is not very effective.  Mark incoming spam as such.  It helps to "train" the spam filtering system.  It may take a lot of markings to get it to work.  As for a desktop icon, when you are on the Inbox page in your browser, look for the little padlock icon to the left of the "https" in the URL field.  Click on that and drag and drop it onto your desktop.

Gmail, iCloud, Yahoo and a couple of other email providers don't play nice with the Comcast email fetcher in the left folder pane.  You might consider going the other way and adding the Comcast account to your Gmail as an external account.

Another option would be to set up one account to auto-forward to the other one.

Contributor

• 

271 Messages

@Latoque​ I'm having a similar issue with spam, but 90% of it is coming from Gmail addresses. Most of it, is caught by Comcast and correctly goes into the Thunderbird Junk folder (or Spam, using the web interface).

Is there a way to create a filter that will allow specific Gmail addresses to get through while sending all others into Junk/Spam? I tried creating a special mail filter for one specific address, to direct it to Inbox, but as the main spam filter also contained gmail.com -> Spam, a test message the sender sent, went into Junk/Spam instead. I am aware of the whitelist option, but I don't want to use it for the account in question, as I know how it works. I use a rather long whitelist on one of my other accounts.

Thank you.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@Latoque

Thanks so much.  I'll give those suggestions a try.  But, as I see from EdwardP's question following mine, I too have found that most all spam comes from Gmail addresses.

It would be SO time consuming but maybe the answer for both of us is to change all of OUR Gmail emails in those accounts to another email address for us and just get rid of our Gmail accounts completely :)

Problem Solver

• 

743 Messages

Hello @edwardp! Thank you for reaching out on our community forum. I realize how annoying it is to get spam. Here's a link that explains all the settings and ways you can filter your email, including an option to create an email filter. I hope this helps! 

I no longer work for Comcast.

Expert

• 

29.5K Messages

2 years ago

@edwardp  and @Linche 

Comcast email really has no "whitelist" function like you might find with other email providers.  Instead, you can put the contact in the address book, and that is supposed to keep it from getting filtered out as spam.  See here----------

Address Book Exemption

You might want to give that a try.

Contributor

• 

271 Messages

@Latoque​ What is described in that thread, is essentially a 'whitelist', which I use on one of my other accounts. It's an excellent feature, but I cannot use it for my main e-mail account. I want to be able to block certain senders/domains, which obviously isn't supported.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

How about creating a "filter folder" rule?  If an email is in the folder, future emails from the sender can have an action (e.g., move to folder, discard, etc) performed on them.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@terryjdavis​ Yikes!  That's a great idea.  I'm not super computer savvy but I'll give it a try.  THANKS!

PS: If I thought I was getting a lot of spam when I first asked this question, it's really insane now.  Comcast should really do something for its customers.  After all, we pay them.

Problem Solver

• 

908 Messages

@Linche Hi there! Getting spam emails can be really frustrating. If it's increasing, that really starts to sound abnormal. Have you by chance opened a ticket with your Customer Security Assurance (CSA) Team?

I no longer work for Comcast.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here