prove's profile

Contributor

• 

69 Messages

Saturday, June 10th, 2023 1:49 PM

Closed

Is the "Missed Spam (missed-spam@comcast.net)" Mail Box ever monitored?

I have forwarded dozens of spam emails (as attachments) to this email address, largely from the same senders, yet they keep coming.  What's up with that?

Accepted Solution

Contributor

• 

69 Messages

1 year ago

Thanks for the reply, but it seems that's what I'm doing.  I'm using POP and not IMAP or Webmail.

Expert

• 

30.9K Messages

1 year ago

@prove 

I have forwarded dozens of spam emails (as attachments) to this email address, largely from the same senders, yet they keep coming.  What's up with that?

You might want to read how to effectively report spam and phishing here.  Scroll down to the tab that says Report Spam and Phishing and following the directions there.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

1 year ago

... read how to effectively report spam and phishing here ...

Unfortunately the instructions on that page are incomplete and inconsistent. In different places that page instructs us to:

"Please do not forward the spam email"

"Forward the spam message"

"Once you have copied the full message headers from the spam message, paste the header and message into an email and send it"

"Please do not forward the phishing email"

"Forward", "forward as an attachment", "do not forward", and "copy and paste". Which is correct? Who knows! And it doesn't explain how "forward" (typically drops most headers) is different from "forward as an attachment" (typically includes headers) .

I always go with "copy and paste" because that seems safest, but is that what CSA wants? There's no way to know.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

69 Messages

@BruceW​ "I always go with "copy and paste" because that seems safest, but is that what CSA wants?"

But does that work?  I suspect not.  Great chance for AI - Read the body text contents of the spam submissions, note similarities, create a drop rule.  EOF

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

872 Messages

@BruceW The most complete method is to "forward as an attachment".  That provides all the content you get with a regular forward, but also the headers which contain additional information.

Contributor

• 

69 Messages

1 year ago

I guess Comcast doesn't read the forum either.

Expert

• 

30.9K Messages

@prove​ 

I guess Comcast doesn't read the forum either.

Comcast does read the Forums and official employees do reply, however, this is still a "Community Forum" that is primarily peer-to-peer.  So, you've had the best advice given here, even if you do use a third party email client.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here