user_4667vr's profile

Contributor

• 

33 Messages

Wednesday, July 10th, 2024 9:19 PM

email filter to block domain

I am trying to create filters to discard any and all emails from outlook.com and hotmail.com. 

The following have been unsuccessful in 'Sender/From' contains:

@outlook.com

outlook.com

*.outlook.com

hotmail.com

@hotmail.com

*.onmicrosoft.com

Action is set to 'Discard'. 

I have viewed multiple messages that made it through the filters and they all have the above in the messages.  All have been manually marked as Spam. 

What do I need to do to stop these messages from appearing in my inbox?

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you. 

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

2 months ago

Hey @user_4667vr, thanks for reaching out to Xfinity Support on our forums. Are they still coming from those domains? I know Microsoft also has live ones as well.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

33 Messages

Yes.  The above domains appear in the source of the emails.  Even if the email address is spoofed, the domain name should be filtered. 

Official Employee

• 

789 Messages

@user_4667vr You can find instructions for setting email and spam filters here https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/spam-filters-and-email-blocking-new-experience. Please let me know if these steps do not resolve the issue for you. 

(edited)

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

33 Messages

I have visited the linked page multiple times.  FYI - the Advanced Settings no longer has a check box for "Enable Spam Filtering" as it appears on the linked page.  I have created multiple Filter Rules for 'Sender/From' using the terms listed above.  All attempts have been unsuccessful in filtering the spam.  I received a message from outlook.com as I was composing this reply... 

Official Employee

• 

789 Messages

@user_4667vr Can you please send us a DM. You can start by clicking the chat icon located in the top right corner of your forums' page when signed in. Once there, you can direct your messages to "Xfinity Support." Please add your full name and service address to help us locate your account. Let me know if you have any questions. 

(edited)

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

33 Messages

Done.  Message sent.

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

2 months ago

@user_4667vr If support can give you a solid answer, please share!  it's Driving me crazy, I use all the EXACT SAME filters as you do, and every day I am STILL getting and adding MORE filters to get rid of these stupid spam messages.  BEST_OFFERES, outlook.com,  I would love to be able to finally solve this.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

33 Messages

Will do.  I'm sure a lot of people hare having this issue. 

Contributor

• 

33 Messages

2 months ago

Any update?  Changing the browser does not help.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

2 months ago

If the message "From:" line contains the domain name, a filter condition like

Sender/From    Contains   dominos.com

should catch it. If that domain appears in a different header, you need to use a different condition. Also, if the rule has multiple conditions, you probably want to set the rule to "Apply if any" rather than "Apply if all".

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Contributor

• 

33 Messages

2 months ago

@ BruceW, Thank you for your reply.  I agree with you that using Send/From and domain name should block email from a domain.  Unfortunately, it is not working. 

I have defined the following filters:

Filter name,                         Sender/From contains,      Actions

*.onmicrosoft.com              *.onmicrosoft.com,            Reject with reason - "no such address", discard 
outlook.com 06-14-2024   *@outlook.com,                 Reject with reason - Unknown recipient, discard
*@outlook.com                  *@outlook.com,                 Discard
outlook again 07042024     outlook,                             Reject with reason - no such address, Discard
at outlook, again                @outlook.com                   Discard         
@hotmail.com                    @hotmail.com                   Discard
hotmail.com                        hotmail.com                      Discard
New rule outlook.com        outlook.com                      Discard

All filter rules have only a single condition - "Sender/From contains".  

Recent spam messages have contained the following "From":

From: "KohI's -Rachael Ray Cucina Cookware Confirmation-"   <2unlocked-gift-361-2222@outlook.com>

From: "Nerve repair ritual - home neuropathy fix"   <2u-293-6j58@outlook.com>

From: "[Edited: "Language"] Claims Eligibility" <da-wxd-xnxn@outlook.com>

From: "[Edited: "Language"] Claims Eligibility" <da-sls-okok@outlook.com>

From: "-iCloud Storage Limit Notice-"   <5jfxx-j3g93@outlook.com>

All of these messages, and quite a few more, have made it through the filters and have appeared in my inbox. 

One of the defined filters should have caught the above messages. 

(edited)

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

2 months ago

@BruceW I've been following along here in this conversation, I'm in the same situation as Nelson21 above, and just like him, I've followed the suggestions, and adding filters, like crazy, even this morning, there are multiple spam emails from all the domains I've identified.  If the webmail browser email can't do it, besides outlook (which I don't want to use) is there another email client that would work more effectively?

Thanks

[Edited: "Personal Information"]

(edited)

Contributor

• 

33 Messages

Still no resolution.  They have stopped responding both here and to the chat session they asked me to open. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

2 months ago

...  I'm in the same situation as Nelson21 above ...

Are the messages arriving in the Inbox or in the Spam folder? Filters defined in "Connect" only work on messages delivered to the Inbox, and only as messages are being delivered. There's no way to run a filter on messages after they are delivered.

If you have more than one filter for a domain, is "Process subsequent rules" set for the preceding rules?

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

33 Messages

2 months ago

Any update?

Is the filter in the email client in the browser?

Contributor

• 

33 Messages

2 months ago

@XfinityAlex,

Can you help with this?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here