U

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, December 8th, 2022 9:57 PM

Closed

Comcast SMTP outbound Email not working [smtp.comcast.net]

My ISP is Comcast / Xfinity, connected by SB6190 modem and Netgear R7000 router, neither of which has changed recently.

Every night at midnight the Router is configured to send its logs to me.  It actually sends from one comcast.net address to a separate one [I have 3 routers configured this way -- by separating the sending addresses I can easily filter / file the incoming "logs" on my computer].  Yesterday, mid-day, I logged into the router and discovered that the email was not sent the previous night.  I double checked (and corrected the "sending" email address configuration) and manually sent the logs at around 10 pm.  In response, the router logged:

[email sent to: <my-email-1>@comcast.net] Wednesday, Dec 07,2022 22:05:04

[email sent to: <my-email-2>@comcast.net] Wednesday, Dec 07,2022 22:05:03

*NOTE* I'm using <my-email-n> in place of the real addresses.

2 Hours later, at midnight, when the "automatic" send is supposed to happen, the email failed.  The router logged:

[email failed] resomta-h1p-027915.sys.comcast.net resomta-h1p-027915.sys.comcast.net Excessive fa Thursday, Dec 08,2022 00:01:02

[email failed] resomta-a1p-077053.sys.comcast.net resomta-a1p-077053.sys.comcast.net Excessive fa Thursday, Dec 08,2022 00:01:01

NO CHANGES HAD BEEN MADE TO THE ROUTER IN THE INTERVENING 2 HOURS. NO COMPUTERS WERE ACTIVE.

I can *RECEIVE* email via POP just fine.  But neither I nor my partner can send email.  I've tried more than once to restart the cable modem and the router, but it always seems to assign me the same IP address.  My partner and I are both using MacBook Pro (M1 Chip) running MacOS Monterey (12.6.1) with Apple Mail 16.0.  I have no problem sending SMTP email via my apple-supplied .mac address.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, someone respond. We are not trying to "spam" anyone - we're just trying to send simple text-based emails.

I have been a loyal Comcast subscriber for nearly 20 years.  I'm seriously beginning to question my "loyalty" 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.6K Messages

2 years ago

"Excessive fa" in the error message might be "Excessive failed authentication". That phrase usually means you have a program, app, or device that is periodically trying to send or sync email using an invalid UserID/password. If the number of login attempts exceeds the mail server's threshold it responds with that error message. The fix is to locate the offending program, app, or device and correct its settings.

Please see https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/email/cannot-send-email-0x800ccc0f-connection-to-server-interrupted-or-0x800ccc67-esmtp-server-temporarily-not-available-message/61b28270f06968168603033a?commentId=61b7a0b5f069681686037267 and the other messages in that topic for additional information.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Official Employee

• 

832 Messages

2 years ago

@user_04d761 If you need help identifying that misconfigured device, let us know.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@XfinityAlex​ Yes, please.  It would also be helpful to know if port 465 or port 587 is preferred.

Problem Solver

• 

519 Messages

Hey @user_04d761  sorry for all the troubles experienced with your email. We are here and will make sure we get this resolved. Our amazing sommunity @BruceW posted a link with similar troubles and steps that helped resolve the email troubles. Have you tried any of the steps recommended? 

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

1 year ago

I am having the same issue with sending emails to the exact same email address that I have used for years. This even happens when i am blind coping myself which is my comcast email address. Nothing has changed in my settings at all. I am using the comcast gateway modem/router. The only change that was made was Comcast did some type of maintenance to upgrade cabling. I called comcast and received a run around from an agent that was clueless.  He actually said he was making changes and it would take 3 hours to see if it works. When I questioned him, he had no answers. So basically he was trying to get me off his phone knowing when I called back I would get someone else. This is not acceptable as i have been a customer for over 20 years.

This is my error.Received: from resomta-c1p-022589.sys.comcast.net ([[Edited: "Personal Information"]])
 by reszmta-c1p-045202.sys.comcast.net with ESMTP

id SgGqp7ANbokq8SgJ5pGJca; Thu, 16 Feb 2023 15:36:23 +0000
Received: from Desktop ([IPv6:[Edited: "Personal Information"]])
 by resomta-c1p-022589.sys.comcast.net with ESMTPSA
 id SgJ3psx7ZZ7YbSgJ3pG1Zm; Thu, 16 Feb 2023 15:36:22 +0000
Xfinity-Spam-Result: Y
X-CAA-SPAM: ??00001
X-Xfinity-VMeta: sc=290.00;st=spam
Return-Receipt-To: < [Edited: "Personal Information"]>

Cc: "Ontime" < [Edited: "Personal Information"]>
Subject: Invoice 14721
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 10:36:20 -0500
Message-ID: <!&!AAAAAAAAAAAuAAAAAAAAAInPtc5t1XdAgeNqE/RTlkMBAMO2jhD3dRHOtM0AqgC7tuYAAAAAAA4AABAAAADdxvB/8WByR6QU8KHH12ktAQAAAAA=@comcast.net>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed;
 boundary="----=_NextPart_000_007F_01D941F2.82DA0E80"
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook 16.0
Thread-Index: AdlCHEus7oARqdDiRUafP2o1Ttb0Ug==
Content-Language: en-us
Disposition-Notification-To: < [Edited: "Personal Information"]>

As you see, my comcast email was tagged as spam.

Something has to give. This is the address that I am using for business. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

832 Messages

@user_e1c0a9​ I escalated this to the A/S group.  Typically this takes less than an hour to resolve.

Problem Solver

• 

311 Messages

@user_e1c0a9 

Just checking back in with you, to see if you've, seen a resolution on your end regarding your concern?

I no longer work for Comcast.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here