U

Wednesday, June 12th, 2024 8:35 PM

Closed

Unauthorized charges for new cell phone that I did not order

On Sunday, June 2, 2024 I called Comcast because of a problem with my Internet Modem. We spoke for over half an hour. When we finished the agent told me that I should ugrade my cell phone and get a second phone. I told her that I was completely satisfied with my current xfinity cell phone plan for less than $20 monthly and that I was not interested in a new phone/plan. I explained to her that I live alone and have not need for 2 phones. She said OK. Almost immediately as I was about to hang up I received an email confirming that I had purchased a new phone. I immediately told the agent to cancel this unauthorized purchase and she said OK. I checked my credit card and also found a pending charge for this phone. The next day I checked my email and there was no cancellation. Rather an email confirming the purchase. I called Comcast again and spoke with an agent about the charge. She filed a fraud report for me and said that maybe this would stop the shipment. I also called my credit card company to dispute the charge. The next day I received another email confirming shipment of the phone. On Wednesday, June 5, the phone arrived via FedEx. I refused delivery because I did not order the phone. FedEx took the package back to the shipper. On Monday, June 10, I received FedEx notification of the return delivered back to Comcast. Within a couple of hours I I received another email from Comcast thanking me for activating my new phone. A few hours after that an additional $31.66 charge showed up on my account page. My total bill jumped from less than $20 to $51.66 monthly. I called Comcast again to inquire about the new charges and to question them about the returned of the phone. I was transferred around and finally was told that it would take several days for the cancellation to show up on my account. At this point I am still waiting on that issue to be corrected 10 days later.

Going back to the June 2 and the reason for my original call, Comcast sent me a new modem/gateway to hopefully resolve my internet problem and to upgrade my equipment. Once I received it I had a very difficult time trying to set things up. I was on the phone for well over an hour and still having trouble. I told the agent that a tree had fallen across the utility lines the night before, knocking out the power but not bringing down the lines. Power was out for over an hour. The agent eventually decided that he had tried everything to get my gateway to work properly and that a technician was going to have to come and identify the problem. He scheduled an appointment for 6/10/24 and said that there would be no charge because this was Comcast's problem not mine. The technician did not show up for the appointment. Comcast contacted me via text message to find out if I was satisfied with the results of the appointment. When I told them that no one showed up they told be it would cost $100 to re-schedule the appointment to resolve the modem setup issues. I said to forget it and I cut off the chat session. Within 10 minutes someone from Comcast called me to get the whole story and re-schedule the appointment at no charge for Wednesday 6/12/24. Tuesday, I received correspondence that Comcast had identified an issue with the service in my area that may have been the reason for my problem and gave me the option to cancel the appointment which I did since my service has been working fine for over 24 hours. It seems that this problem could have been identified much sooner if they had checked things following the power outage that I told them about. I suspect that this incident caused the problem but Comcast did not take the time to check the area for 4 days. Also during the following 24 hours after cancelling this appointment I was either called or texted 4 more times by Comcast agents reminding me of the up coming appointment. Each time I cancelled the appointment only to be contacted again reminding me of the appointment. How stupid is that.

Comcast is the only Internet & Cable option that I have where I live. If I could switch to another carrier I would do it in a heart beat. Every time I have I problem and call Comcast, instead of correcting an issue they make it worse. Due to completely no fault of my own I have spent many hours on the phone trying to get these problems solved. Customer service is completely incompetent. Many of their agents tell the customer what he wants to hear but never follow through with assistance to correct the issue. Each time I spoke with agents the only thing they really did was to thank me for being a loyal customer and for understanding. Well I don't understand.

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

4 months ago

Hey @user_ikmsev , thanks for reaching out to Xfinity Support on our forums. That's definitely not the experience we want you to have and I'd love to help. When you get a chance, can you send us a direct message? 

To send a direct message:

Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Direct messaging" icon near the top right of the page

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send it

4 Messages

By following the above instructions I finally got some help and after 13 days of many hours of phone calls and texting I finally got the problem resolved after posting to this forum. However, all of this never should have happened. .

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

@user_ikmsev We appreciate your time and allowing us to get this situation resolved. We apologize for the frustrating experience along the way and will forward the feedback. If there is anything you need in the future, please don't hesitate to create a new post in our Community Forums, and we'll be happy to help. Have a wonderful rest of your week! 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here