D

Wednesday, March 13th, 2024 2:14 PM

Samsung Voicemail app notification failures

I've already posted my problem with my Xfinity-provided Samsung A54 phone on Samsung's site, so rather than reproduce all that here, I'll provide a link to my Samsung post: "Voicemail app provided no notifications of pending voicemails for six weeks". Because Samsung has taken down some of my threads before and may do so with this one, I'll provide my latest item from that thread here. This is a summary of my problems so far:

====

I thought I'd provide an update on my Voicemail app experience. I have a Samsung A54 with the preinstalled Voicemail app, version #18.1.00.23. I've had the phone since October 16, 2023. In the Settings for this app, absolutely everything relating to notifications and the permissions that the app requires is enabled. Additionally, the "Battery" setting is "Unrestricted" (in other complaints, some have claimed that this setting value is required for proper notifications to occur).

At this point I have experienced the following notification problems:

1) The Voicemail app failed to produce notifications that had been waiting on Xfinity's voicemail server for weeks. I was alerted to these only after some subsequent voicemail finally produced a notification.

2) Upon properly producing a notification for a call, the Voicemail app contained list entries for previous voicemails that I had deleted days or weeks ago.

3) Again recently, I opened my Voicemail app and saw a single list entry for a voicemail for which no notification had ever been produced.

During the times when I experienced #1 and #2 above, I had been in the habit of turning my phone off overnight. Because my increasing problems with my phone disconnecting from the mobile network after restarts (see my complaint described in thise two posts):

by the time I experienced #3 I had given up on turning my phone off at night, so now my phone is on all the time. So if the behaviors in #1 and #2 could have been attributed to voicemails having appeared while on the server while my phone was off, that is no longer the case, and in any event I would not expect to be required to have my phone on during the appearance of a voicemail in order for me to receive a notification that a new voicemail is present.

Samsung and Xfinity definitely have serious problems with the interactions of the Samsung A54 and the Xfinity network. My phone should not disconnect from the mobile network (and require a network reset) just because I restarted it or because a Samsung "OneUI" update forced it to restart. My Voicemail app should always show a notification when it contains a voice mail item that I haven't seen yet. My Voicemail app should not show list items for voice mails that I deleted days or weeks ago.

It is distrubing seeing ads for fancy features like "AI" in new Samsung phones, when Samsung and my service provider (Xfinity) cannot even seem to manage their most basic functions properly. I have spent an enormous number of hours working on problems I've had with Samsung apps and failed Samsung/Xfinity interactions. It astounds me that two market leaders in the mobile phone marketplace can have so many problems that seem to remain perpetually unaddressed. Spare me your new features; basic network stability and correct notification behaviors are far mor important to me.

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

4 months ago

DaveZ6 Hi there! We are sorry to hear you are having issues receiving notificationsfrom yourr Voicemail app using your A54Samsungg device. Have you contacted Xfinity mobile support for this issue? 

Due to account security, we are limited on access to your Xfinity Mobile Account here on Social Media, and we do recommend reaching out to our experts to ensure your concern is resolved. You can reach them by texting or calling 1 (888) 936-4968. You can also chat with an expert here: https://www.xfinity.com/xfinityassistant/?channel=xMobile

15 Messages

@XfinityAirelle​ : I appreciate your response, but I don't believe that this is a problem that is specific to my phone. I believe that Xfinity and Samsung have some kind of systemic problems managing voicemail notifications and general mobile network connectivity. Until some senior technical staff at both companies start addressing these issues, I see little hope for improvement. I know what will happen if I contact Xfinity service about this; I'll be connected to a junior non-tech support person who reads from a script, and who will do stuff like tell me to restart my phone (it's been restarted many times) or he'll re-provision my voicemail (the last service guy I contacted tried this). I had a 42 year career in software engineering and I have a very good intuition for recognizing systemic software problems when I see them. The people who have the power to fix these problems are not going to talk to me; they are either working on them or they're not.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

@DaveZ6. We certainly understand your concerns. Our Xfinity mobile team go through the troubleshooting steps when you reach out. If that doesn't resolve the problem, then a ticket is opened for a higher level agent to look into the issue. If they are unable to resolve it, they send it to our engineers to work on. Speaking with the Xfinity Mobile team to get a ticket opened would be the correct path to handle this on the Xfinity end. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

1 Message

4 months ago

I have been  dealing with phone problems  in both phones for almost 3 months. When trying  to dial our I get a message  saying "not connected to a registered  network ". Xfinity says not there problem  and will do nothing.  Samsung looked at 1 phone and said they don't  find a problem.  My husband and I are very frustrated.  I gave spent  hours,days, weeks  with no resolution.  We feel  like we've  been  taken  advantage  of and scammed.

15 Messages

@user_x0lgq5​ My problems with dropping off the Xfinity network (after resets and major updates) are described here: Samsung “One UI” updates disconnect phones from WiFi and mobile networks (Xfinity). That post would be more appropriate for discussing your problem. My solution to that problem has been to simply never turn my phones off (formerly I turned them off at night). Anyway, read my description of my similar experience there.

Official Employee

• 

988 Messages

Hello @user_x0lgq5, thank you for taking the time to reach out on social media.  I understand your concern with the phones, and I'd like the opportunity to check into that for you.

To access your account, will you please send us a direct message with your full name and complete service address to “Xfinity Support”. To do so, click on the chat icon located at the top right of this forums page.

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary
  • Click the "Direct Message” icon (upper right corner of this page)
  • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
  • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  • Press Enter to send your message

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here