jbkuppe's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, March 14th, 2020 5:00 PM

Closed

XCAM without home security service

Can I use the XW3 and XCAM camera setup with some form of DYI software like iSpy? The cameras plug directly into the XW3 (and presumably into Xfinity's secure home network)-- I have tried connecting the camera directly to a router, but it is not recognized/picked up on my home network. If someone has done this, please share. thanks

Accepted Solution

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

You can definitely use those cameras without xfinity services in a DIY project or like a baby monitor. You need to factory reset them and you need a special Y-addapter cable to be able to connect to them and configure them direclty. I have 4 of those cameras that are left over from former XH security system and I have repurposed them for my own system. Look up how to reset icam1000 or icam2, the procedure is very similar except that you have to reset the camera and the XW3 "power adapter" as well with paper clip through the pin hole. You may get lucky and be able to connect to it via WPS without Y-cable, I have not tried that though. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@hlywine I know this is a yr old but I am struggling lol. I am trying to use my xw4 cams without a subscription as a baby monitor and everything ive read is vague. What is a "special Y adapter" I also can't find anything on reseting an icam. Currently, my camera and power adapter are blinking white, does this mean they are reset?

Official Employee

• 

500 Messages

5 years ago

Hi jbkuppe!

Currently, only the xCam2 can be paired to an xFi Gateway wihtout a subscription to Xfinity Home. Most of our Xfinity Stores do stock this model.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Hi, I don't understand your answer. I am mostly just interested in recording the video from the cameras- so I can get one of these xFi Gateways and they connect to my existing network and I can connect the cameras to them rather than xfinity home? please explain more- thanks

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

He said you can purchase new equipment. The new xcam2 will pair yet another way for them to be "customer oriented" i recently had to d/g services again to keep it affordable they told me i could use the cams i have with my gateway router nope cant do it. I live in dist.6 in NM so not the best part of town and not having my cameras operational is like leaving the door open while you sleep. And since thcrisis began well they wont shut off your internet completely but theyll leave you the bare minimum being a lotal customer only means that they get your money on time every month for 16 years and provide mediocre service in a market where they have no competition.

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks!  I wasn't reseting the camera...just the XW3!

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

I was so happy to find this thread about using xCams without Xfinity Home Service. I am looking to downgrade, but we have sadly become somewhat dependent on the XH home controls from live video monitoring to 24/7 recording on multiple cameras to door notifications and rules, etc. I am trying to figure out if it’s possible to replicate our current features without paying the monthly fee. Were you able to pair the xCams without the monthly service? I get that I would no longer have the Touchscreen/Homehub, but are you using the XH mobile app to watch the live feeds? I also would be disappointed to lose the audible sounds I get when our pool gate or mailbox opens. And I have a bunch of Zigbee smart outlets, but it appears if I have an Alexa Echo Hub I can use that. What else have you been able to accomplish with the equipment without the monthly service?

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Where can I find these cables and what kind of end points are they, going insane looking for them.

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

The cables are getting expensive, only place I see them at are on eBay.
Here is what it looks like: https://www.ebay.com/itm/274399052003

If you don't have the XH service, hence the tablet, you can not use the app to watch the live feed from the cameras. You can reset them as described above and set up your own monitoring system with a computer that has software running like iSpy, ZoneMinder, or other ones that would allow you to use their own app for veiwing the cameras. Another option is buying a dedicated NVR, basically a box that records video from your cameras and gives you an option to view it via app or computer. Running your pc with software is the cheaper option if you have an older pc that you can dedicate specifically to this but can be a pain in the butt to set up, NVR is easier but more cost up front. The door/window sensors I have all connected to Samsung Smartthings hub, I can monitor them, get notifications, and all through that system. I don't have any wall outlets from xfinity but you can Google to see if the wall outlets are compatible with other hubs. Only thing I couldn't re-use was the motion sensor, so I bought a pack of 10 for like $50 on eBay that were universal and are compatible with my hub. I know what you mean by being tied to the whole system. It's nice when everything works together. You can definitely get off of XH and use free options that are out there, but it's not for the faint of heart. I suggest doing it only if you like to tinker with tech stuff as it will cost you many hours. But it's definitely doable

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

The door/window sensors I have all connected to Samsung Smartthings hub, I can monitor them, get notifications, and all through that system. 

That's exciting!  I have a mix of door sensors (all xfinity) the newer take the CR2032 and others are older and take a non-wafer battery.  Did you have new and/or older?

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks for weighing in. I have a bunch of Zigbee outlets and was able to successfully pair them directly with an Alexa Show with the Built in home hub. Sounds like I need the Samsung Smart Hub to pair the door/window sensors. I’ll look into that thanks.

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

I think I have the new ones. Same ones that are shown in this page:
https://www.xfinity.com/learn/home-security/devices/door-window-sensor
Unless they all look identical...
But mine take CR2450 battery. It's also a button battery but looks very thick, so they usually last couple of years.
Also, the sensors are supported by Samsung Smartthings hub, but they are not natively recognized when you try to pair them. When you pair it, hub will see it and add it as just a "Thing" because it doesn't know what it is. After its added as a "Thing", log in to smartthings website/portal and there you will see it is added as something like "Smart TV" or "Samsung TV" in the drop down list. Just switch it to "Tyco door/window sensor" and it will work after that.

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks for the pairing information.  My sensors are much older than yours.  I'm going to try and get my hand on a Samsung hub and try the oldest sensors I have.  Again, MANY thanks!

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Well xfinity has a new service called xfinity self protect You just have to upgrade your modem to the xb7 box it’s free

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

I have the latest modem/router that they have. How do you connect/pair them without the hub?

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Hey, Kjmazzo11! Thanks for being apart of the Comcast family and reaching out. When you say "the hub" what are you referring to exactly? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Do I recently canceled my service with Xfinty but now I have the home security system that I still want to use, but not sure how can I use the cameras. Do I need to download a different security and try to enter ip to the app to monitor. I’m not sure how can I still monitor using the Xfinty cameras without being a customer? Any suggestions

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here