nducoff's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

Monday, October 17th, 2022 5:06 PM

Closed

Can’t get two new Xcam2 cameras to connect to my Wi-Fi network

I have two older Xfinity cameras that I had to add using the split cable plugged into the Netgear WNR1000 gateway and the XH1-TC touchscreen.

I tried using the xfinity app to add the two new Xcam2 camera’s (one at at time) with the same failed result. 

I use a Netgear modem and newest Orbi Wi-Fi system … that works flawlessly.
With the power and camera blinking white, it connects to Bluetooth. When I enter my Wi-Fi network name and PW, it starts to connect but goes back to the screen asking for the Wi-Fi network name and PW. Then it fails.

I’m using an iPhone 14 running iOS 16.

I tried using the wired the split cable connector attached to the WNR1000 gateway to add the cameras through the touchscreen … but that didn’t work. I can see the camera’s image as long as they’re plugged on the network … but can’t add them through the touchscreen.

I tried multiple times to reset both the power and camera, but same result.

A few times, after entering my Wi-Fi network name and PW on the app, I got a “Camera is already linked to another network.”

Shouldn’t be this hard.

Any ideas how to get the cameras connected to my xfinity home system?

Official Employee

• 

498 Messages

2 years ago

Hi @nducoff!

The issue is likely that the Touchscreen is connected to WiFi through the WNR1000 Security Router, and the xCam2's are trying to connect to your Personal router (the Orbi).  xCam2's were designed to be used with either a Personal router or a leased xFi Gateway - but not a WNR1000 Router.... and both the Touchscreen and Cameras need to be connected through the same device.

If you're upgrading to xCam2's (and removing the legacy cameras) you can probably forego the WNR1000 entirely and connect your Touchscreen and cameras to your private WiFi directly.  Most Touchscreens now support this - the WNR1000 was the prior solution to allow a customer to use their own modem. 

In some cases, we can walk you through this over the phone -  but we may also need to have a technician come out to complete the switch (for example, if we need to upgrade your Touchscreen's firmware or in rarer cases, swap it out if it's a model that doesn't currently support a Private WiFi connection).  If you call, we can schedule an appointment if necessary.  If you Private Message me, I can also provide further details.

Once your Touchscreen is connected to your Personal Router, you can restore your cameras and power adapters to default settings and then pair them through the Xfinity app.

I hope that helps!

(edited)

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

@XfinityBecker​ 

The WNR1000 is disconnected. Three old cameras deleted. Touchscreen is on my personal WiFi and tests out fine. 
On the Xfinity app, when I try to setup an xcam2, it will connect to Bluetooth but won’t complete wifi. Reset camera. Unplug. Restart everything. Same problem. 
Network name and password are absolutely correct. 
Xfinity technician had the exact same challenge. Won’t connect to WiFi. 

Problem Solver

• 

352 Messages

That is a great question! It should show on both apps. 

I no longer work for Comcast.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Official Employee

• 

992 Messages

2 years ago

@nducoff 

If the camera is synched via the xfinity via blue tooth you should see them on the xfinity alarm touch screen, Depending on your Home screen, swipe up to open the Dashboard or tap the Dashboard icon (four squares on the upper left). On the Dashboard screen, tap Cameras. Here is a great link https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/touchscreen-getting-started-unified on how to pair the camera with touch screen let me know if these steps wors

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

Appreciate the response … but this doesn’t address my problem connecting cameras. The xfinity app first connects to Bluetooth (I can even see the camera on my iPhone in Bluetooth settings). Then the app requires entering my Wi-Fi network name and password. Says it’s connecting … then goes back to the screen asking for the Wi-Fi name and PW. Can’t get past the Wi-Fi step. Followed all the directions, reset power and cameras so many times I lost count.

I had an xfinity technician come last Thursday. He couldn’t get any further than I did. He call supervisors and other tech support and was told the xfinity app can’t add cameras do to some app issue until October 27th. I have an appointment for this technician to return on 10/27 to try again.

The technician disconnected the xfinity Netgear sidecar router that connected my three older cameras to my network and Touchscreen. He then connected my Touchscreen to my home Wi-Fi network. We figured that’s why the xfinity app wouldn’t accept my Wi-Fi name and PW. That didn’t work either.

FYI: Technician said no notifications were sent out that reported the app issues. His supervisor knew nothing about the app issue either.

Hopefully we can get the two new cameras connected on 10/27. Technician said he’d upgrade my three old cameras so they can be added through the xfinity app. 

If anyone else is having trouble adding Xcam2 cameras through the xfinity app … the above explains why. Otherwise, something else is messed up in my system that needs to be figured out.

Official Employee

• 

498 Messages

@nducoff​ Thanks for the update and I'm sorry for all of the trouble!  I'm glad you have a follow-up appointment.  If that doesn't resolve the issue, please let me know!  I'm also not aware of any issues onboarding cameras in general through the Xfinity app, so there's a good chance this is an issue isolated to your account or specific setup.  Yours is a bit more unique than most (with a mix of new and old cameras, and using our own modem) - hopefully switching to newer cameras will be part of the resolution!  While it would be a last resort prior to escalating to our engineers for a deeper investigation, swapping your Touchscreen may also help.

(edited)

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

@XfinityBecker

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

It was a long shot but worked. My network name had an apostrophe. I removed the the apostrophe and all new cameras and xfinity doorbell synced to wifi, activated and added to my xfinity Home. 🙌

I know from custom web portals we built that some symbols can't be recognized.

Only one question t the xfinity doorbell camera show up on my Home app and just the xfinity app? The two new cameras and doorbell show up on the touchscreen.

Official Employee

• 

498 Messages

@nducoff  That's wonderful!  I'm glad you were able to figure it out.  Special characters have tripped me up over the years in various circumstances as well. :) 

And it's actually completely normal to see the Doorbell only in the Xfinity App - we are building new camera features into the Xfinity App.  That's often the best place to go to view all of your cameras.  As an example, our 24/7 Video Recording timeline (where you can see specific motion events for People, Vehicles, and Pets or jump to any specific moment in time on the timeline), as well as Notification (such as Delivery notifications with the Doorbell) are only accessible through the Xfinity App.  

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

My new XCAM2 cameras can’t be located by the xfinity Home app. I’ve gone through the setup process with both and today an xfinity technician couldn’t get them to complete the setup.

if I go the the iPhone ‘Settings->Bluetooth’ it sees it being advertised but the app doesn’t find them.

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

Hi there! If you need assistance, please create your post, and we will be happy to assist! -Airelle

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here