S

Thursday, October 17th, 2024 11:42 PM

Zoom/Teams interruptions seen with home users with XB8 AP

Investigation of connectivity issues seen with Zoom/Teams VOIP calls has been root caused to failure to (re)authenticate after WiFi capabilities change as observed with Comcast XB8 AP

During investigation, we have observed that WiFi Management Frames will change bandwidth support in the HE Phy Capabilities IE field. (support for 40 & 80 MHz in 5 GHz and 6GHz bands). After changing these capability fields, this will trigger a roam-to-self/reauthentication in Intel Wireless Clients.

During (re)authentication attempt, it's observed that the AP will receive (re)authentication frame from Intel client, acknowledge frame, but not respond with authentication frame from AP.

After a few seconds, Intel client/AP will successfully authenticate and network connectivity will resume.

However, during the few seconds, due to repeated failure to receive authentication frame response from AP, Intel client will respond with link down to higher network layers, resulting in loss of connectivity for user.

Corresponding with AP WiFi silicon vendor, Comcast will have to raise issue to silicon vendor. Silicon vendor engineering has already been supplied with OTA and accompanying analysis.

Upon request, we can supply OTA and analysis to Xfinity/Comcast engineering. However, we need Comcast to raise issue with AP vendor/AP silicon vendor.

Official Employee

• 

2.3K Messages

1 hour ago

Hey there, sldunn, thanks for reaching out through Xfinity Forums regarding the issues with your connection. I know I take a lot of Teams calls for my work at home and I know how frustrating it can be when there are issues with the connection. We would be happy to help with troubleshooting. 

Are you having issues with the connection when connected to a VPN? Is the device you are having issues with connected through hardwire with an Ethernet cable?

3 Messages

51 minutes ago

The problem has been observed while connected to corporate network via Cisco AnyConnect VPN. The delay from the initial failed state where the AP doesn't provide authentication frame response to resolving where AP will correctly provide authentication frame response is about 5 seconds or less. However the 5 seconds is enough to cause Intel client to provide linkdown to Cisco AnyConnect VPN, which will provide a link down to higher levels.

This issue does not occur with Ethernet cable.

OTA and analysis has been provided to AP silicon vendor. However AP silicon vendor requires ticket to be opened with them from Xfinity. I'm happy to forward analysis and OTA to appropriate Xfinity engineer. We have an existing case open with Corporate customer and a daily call with Cisco, Microsoft, and Intel present if an Xfinity engineer would care to join us. Time of call is 9AM pacific time zone, if you have an engineer who can attend. I'll be happy to provide analysis so far via DM or direct email address.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

We'd love to assist in getting this escalated. Please send a direct message by clicking the chat icon in the upper right corner of the page, clicking on the pen and paper icon, and then entering “Xfinity Support” in the “To” section. Please include your name and address, and we can get started anytime. Please also include any screenshots that you have so we can forward those along. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

3 Messages

Thanks. I've sent a DM to Xfinity Support!

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Great! We look forward to helping you there. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here