R

Wednesday, August 28th, 2024 4:56 PM

Xfinity System Upgrade - Loss of Stable Connection

We got a text message on July 29, 2024 that "[Xfinity] completed work in [our] area as [they] continue to evolve the Xfinity Network". Ever since that "network upgrade", our internet connection has become very unstable. Our Network download speeds frequently drop from 500Mbps down to 20Mbps, and sometimes completely loses internet connection over the last 4+ weeks, often right in the middle of an online zoom meeting. We have had to power cycle our cable modem (and wifi router) 2-3 times per week. In addition to this frustration, Xfinity will no longer let me speak directly to a support agent and has a forced Virtual Assistant troubleshooting flow, making me do basic troubleshooting like restarting my modem again -- which is pointless since the issue is intermittent, so of course they aren't going to detect any issue when I'm trying to contact them to troubleshoot this intermittent issue if there isn't an active issue the instant I'm trying to contact them. Even their online chat support does the same thing and won't let me chat directly with a live agent. I've tried for over an hour to go through their phone and chat trees and gotten nowhere.

This is ridiculous!

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

17 days ago

ronald_408, Hi there! Thanks for reaching out to XFINITY. As someone who relies on my internet services to work correctly for my job, I can understand the inconvenience that is caused by having unstable internet service. I am sorry to learn about this experience of not being able to speak directly with a live agent. Our digital tools strive to help make your experience easier for getting the support you need quicker. Rest assured, you've reached the right virtual space for support. Over social media, our team of live experts specializes in resolving internet connection problems such as this. We can help. Thanks for trying those troubleshooting steps. When you notice the service issues, have you tried running an internet health test via the Xfinity app by chance? If so, what results does it pull for you?

5 Messages

We are supposed to be on Fast plan. Even right now our Internet speeds have dropped from over 500Mbps earlier today to just 200Mbps now. I just spent the last hour following the virtual troubleshooting steps, restarting the modem, etc. It was no help. It didn't detect anything wrong, and our Internet download speed is still machine at under 200Mbps.

5 Messages

17 days ago

Here's the transcript...

Xfinity Internet
Your level of service is Fast including download speeds up to 500 Mbps and upload speeds up to 20 Mbps.
How can I help you with your internet service?

internet issues
Let's try troubleshooting your connection. We can check for outages and run some tests on your home network here: https://www.xfinity.com/xfinityassistant/?intent=skill.xfi.internet.troubleshoot

There are no outages in your area so I can help troubleshoot your internet connection.

I'll run a few checks on your internet as we troubleshoot. Are you ready to continue?

Yes, continue

Not right now
Yes, continue
Can you please tell me the type of issue you're experiencing with your connection?

No internet connection

My connection is slow

My connection keeps dropping

Activate Storm Ready Wifi
My connection keeps dropping
Hang tight. I'll first check the health of the signal to your home.
I don't see any problems with the signal to your home. Now let's check your modem.
OK, I'm communicating with your device to pull your wireless information and network names. This should only take 35 seconds and I'll continue to update you on progress.
Hang tight while I gather your premise health details. This will only take 45 seconds.
Okay, no issues detected with your modem configuration. Let's continue troubleshooting.
Do you have a separate router plugged into your modem or Xfinity Gateway?

No

Yes

I'm Not Sure
Yes
What device is having the connection issue? (If more than one, please select a device that you can easily troubleshoot.)

Laptop or desktop computer

Mobile phone or tablet

Smart TV or streaming device

Video game system

Xfinity Home device

Other device
Laptop or desktop computer
How are you connecting your Desktop/Laptop Computer to your network?

Wifi Connection

By Ethernet cable to modem or gateway

By Ethernet cable to router
By Ethernet cable to modem or gateway
When you experience this problem are you noticing it more with apps, gaming, or websites?

App

Gaming

Website
Website
Good news, the connections and health are looking great! We have determined your internet connectivity issue is not related to your Xfinity services. Would you like my assistance with continuing to troubleshoot your in-home devices?

Yes

No
No
This concludes our troubleshooting, thank you for your time.
OK. I'm here 24/7 if you need help with anything else.

Ask a brief question...

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

ronald_408, Thanks for sharing that transcript. Troubleshooting via the XFINITY app is great at saving time when needing a swift resolution to slow speed issues. I see that in the last question it asked if you would like assistance with continuing to troubleshoot your in home devices. When you select yes, does it ask if you would like to schedule a technician appointment?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

5 Messages

It is silly to force all customers to go through this ridiculous time consuming rudimentary trouble-shooting every time before getting to speak with a live agent. I used to be a Corporate IT Systems Admin and should not be treated like a child every time I need help with our Xfinity service. Why can't Xfinity just provide a easier means of speaking to someone with high level expertise after the customer confirms the basic troubleshooting has already been performed?

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

ronald_408 Iam sorry to read that this process makes you feel this way. The steps we take are to help publicly and try and resolve your concerns through our forums so that in the future others having a similar concern can help locate a resolution without having to reach out multiple times. You can read more about it in our Xfinity Community Guidelines here. 

If your are still in need of assistance or to help with scheduling an appointment you can send us a direct message with your full name and service address. 

To send a direct message: 

• Make sure you are signed in here in the Xfinity Forum. Click "Sign In" if necessary
  • Click the "Direct Message" icon (square chat icon in the upper right corner of your screen next to the bell icon)
  • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  • Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
  • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  • Press Enter to send it

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here