U

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, September 7th, 2021 9:23 PM

Closed

Xfinity modem update scam phone call

Just got a call from a local number. It started off sounding odd but possibly legit and then started sounding a lot like a scam phone call. The guy claimed he was calling from xfinity and wanted to know how my modem was working. Said that the updates that were sent to it didn't work and asked me about the lights and what was blinking on my modem. He also asked if i was having problems with my internet service (I'm not). He wanted me to connect my computer to their website. I hung up. The guy sounded like he was in a big call center and he had a non- native English speaker accent (sounded like he was from India or Pakistan).

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

3 years ago

Those are all scam calls.   They can now fake the ID shown on your phones.

I had one today.   It faked my own Hospital service ID.   Nothing any companies can do about it.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Received the same thing. They wanted me to download UlraViewer so they have access to my computer.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Received phone call from [Edited: "Personal Information"] from person with strong Indian accent. Saying that they wanted to update my TV receiver box software. Offered a $40/month saving for next 2 years through a special promotion. Went through some bogus steps of turning on and off TV, waited for 3 beeps, as they were supposedly checking the update. Then said they would need a security deposit of $299 to get this promotion. I then told him this was totally bogus scam and challenged him to identify himself. His reply, this is India! I hung up.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I received the same call today. Glad I hung up when they asked me to type in an internet address.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Received this call today.  I asked for a number that I could call to validate the information. He gave me a partial number and hung up.

Problem Solver

• 

828 Messages

If you think you received a spam call, I would recommend contacting our Customer Security Assurance department where you can report any concerns of fraudulent or questionable activity. Here is the link to our Customer Security Assurance: https://comca.st/3gMOaac.

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Very helpful link. However, it requires a phone call in order to report something like this. Is an online reporting system susceptible to false reports? I can understand why.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I have received a similar phone call over the past three months from women and men seeking information about our modem. Sometimes, they are just confirming that the modem lights are blinking properly. Others, they say they are following up and would like to update the modem, would I please get to my computer and login. They almost had me... very benign requests until they get what they want. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here