SteveLaz's profile

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, October 13th, 2024 6:57 PM

Xfinity Data Usage Higher than local measurement

I recently added an Eero mesh system of home wifi. All my network traffic goes through this. Eero is the only device connected to my cable modem which does not wifi.

My month to date usage supported by my Eero device is 242 GB. Xfinity reports 394 GB. used. This is a disturbing discrepancy.  Eero gives me very granular reporting but Xfinity only gives me the monthly total  so I cannot probe details.

I would love to hear from Xfinity and also from anyone else who might have the ability to compare a local measurement with that reported by Xfinity.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

5 days ago

Hi @SteveLaz, Thank you for visiting our official Xfinity Forums Community support page. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience regarding the Xfinity Internet and usage based billing. I would be more than happy to offer my assistance looking into this further for you.

I highly recommend visiting our 'What counts towards my data plan?' support page which goes over what data is counted and measured. I have provided a snippet below:

All data usage delivered over your home Xfinity Internet service, both downloaded and uploaded, is counted towards the 1.2 Terabyte (TB) Internet Data Usage Plan, regardless of the source.

All internet-based video streaming and download services, including internet-delivered programming available through xfinity.com/stream and Xfinity apps, are included in the calculation of monthly usage. Xfinity TV and Xfinity Voice services that are not delivered over the internet and are not received by you using your Xfinity Internet service do not count.

I am not familiar with Eero or what it measures, but all Internet data used within the home is counted (download/upload). The Eero would also not be able to count any usage from the set-top boxes if you have our Xfinity Video services, so there will always show a difference as we track the Internet Based apps on the set-top box. 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Demitrius,

Thanks for the quick reply! It is possible that this is an explanation but I would like to understand more. For a specific example, does use of Netflix on my X1 DVR count against internet data usage?  If the answer is yes then I wonder how it would work if I just had cable and not Internet through Xfinity.

Steve

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Our 'X1 internet data usage details' support page will go more into detail on how to identify Internet usage on the X1 set-top box. To answer your question, using Netflix app on your X1-set-top box will be counted as data usage for the home and be tracked. If you do not subscribe to our Xfinity Internet service, you will not be able to use the applications on the X1 set-top box. @SteveLaz 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

OK, I've found the internet badge 😀 

It is hard to manage my usage with sufficient data. I would like to see more granular data reporting. At a minimum:

• Distinguish X1 usage from  other household usage
  • Show upload and download usage
  • Allow  visibility by day

Is there a mechanism for me to formally request this.

Thanks,

Steve

Official Employee

• 

805 Messages

The method my colleague suggested is the only way at this time.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here