U

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, August 26th, 2022 1:30 AM

Closed

Scam call

I got a call saying I qualified for half price internet for 2 years if I paid for 10 months up front  at 35.00 a month and then it would be $35.00 for the remainder 14 months

This conversation has been merged. Please refer the main conversation:

Did I Get A Scam/Spam Xfinity Sales Call?

Contributor

• 

274 Messages

2 years ago

I received an automated call this morning on my cell phone from 'Comcast Xfinity', telling me that my 'existing account' is eligible for 50% off and to call a certain number. Neither the number the call came from, nor the number to call, were recognized as known Xfinity phone numbers.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@edwardp​ I also received this exact same call and I believe I have been scammed out of $3360.00.  when calling this number you are dealing with a Xfinity sound menu a d the aft making a selection areal person speaks with you giving you the sales pitch that target has partnered with Xfinity to offer you a 50% reduction in your bill for purchasing target gift cards and calling them back. I feel stupid for falling for this my bank even alerted me that gift card scrams are on the rise.  I will never purchase another Target gift card nor will I ever have faith in a Xfinity phone again.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

I got the same deal and fell for it. I went out and got $700 in Target cards and called them back. I almost went for the "Lifetime" deal and would have needed to go get $1400.00 worth of Target cards. I started getting a bad feeling it was a scam, but it's too late. Don't know how to try and get my money back, but I'm with you rrp49 and will never EVER buy a Target gift card again and Comcast is going to get an earful today when their office opens. 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

I just got this call, and when they said I had to go buy a target card to pay it I got suspicious and put them on hold to look it up, and saw this thread. I got on and revoked my ‘approval’ and he threatened me with $384 cancelation fee and interrupted service. I can’t believe I let it get as far as I did, but glad I caught it. 

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@sillysinghmamma​ You were fortunate. My caller credited my full monthly payment while I was observing my account app. This convinced me that the offer was legitimate. How does this scammer get access to the comcast system? Is it being operated by a Comcast employee?

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Ur account was paid off and u didn’t have to pay it layer

Problem Solver

• 

1.4K Messages

2 years ago

@user_f0e8e7 Hello and thank you for reaching out to us today and letting us know about the scam call you received. You can go to https://comca.st/3ArBlLW to find out more about these scams and see how to report the call as well. 

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@XfinityAbbie​ this link that you're giving is a "bad request" 

Contributor

• 

367 Messages

Hello @user_3395b3 , thank you for reaching out to us through our Xfinity Forums Community. I appreciate you letting us know about the scam call you received, not fun at all. Please visit https://comca.st/3elyU6u for more information on this and how to report the call. Can you check the link and let me know? 

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@user_3395b3​  I don't understand how people still fall for the giftcard or money order scams but sadly it still happens. Beware of XfinityBrian. He is another scammer. Note that the website he's asking people to go to says Comca.ST ...not Comcast. DO NOT click on the link "XfinityBrian" posted! We definitely should inform Comcast executives since the scammers are infiltrated in their own platform/websites. 

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Thank you for your concern. Yes, there have been more scam calls lately. Please go to https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/protect-yourself-phone-scams to learn more about how to avoid scam calls. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Hello, I received on of these call too.   No I didn't fall for it.   but i'm want to report this as I belive it is and "inside job" at Comcast.    the Voice message was left on my phone.  The caller asked me to call them at [Edited: "Personal Information"].   when you call it a recording comes on and says "thank you for calling Xfinity."    When talking to the scammer he sent me and email from [Edited: "Personal Information"]

Remarkably this scam was able to post a credit in my comcast billing account.  As to show me immediate savings and provign that he is truly comcast.  This credit is still there.  He sent me a pdf telling me what to do:   (sorry it lost its formating)

Xfinity
Bill To:
Sale Agent: Henry [Edited: "Personal Information"]
John [Edited: "Personal Information"]
[Edited: "Personal Information"]
Invoice Date: 2022-10-13
Due Date: 2022-10-14
#
Item
Amount
Valued Customer, Authorization Code : [Edited: "Personal Information"]
Account Number: [Edited: "Personal Information"]
Thank you for signing up with the Xfinity promotion. Your bill will drop down to a flat price of
$135 for next 02 years for your Xfinity services, your services will remain same. To get started
with the offer, you are required to pay the first 06 months of your bill in advance according to
the discounted price of $135. It is going to be $810.
Once you pay the upfront charges, there will be no bills for you for the next 06 months. After
that you'll end up paying $135 month to month for your Xfinity services until the promotion
expires on October 2024.
There is no contract in this promotion so you can cancel this promotion anytime and if you
cancel this offer in first 06 months you will get reimbursement according to prorated charges.
Also, if you move your services, the promotion will still be active.
This Offer is sponsored by TARGET; you have to perform the first Promotional Payment using
Target prepaid billing cards and after 06 months you can pay using your regular payment
method.
Please call the billing department at [Edited: "Personal Information"] (11am-9pm EST), once you get the TARGET
CARDS for an amount of $810.
For all those customers who sign up and apply the payments on the same day are getting $75
Visa Card.
We appreciate your business, Thank you.
Sub Total
$810.00
Total
$810.00
Amount Due
$810.00
C

(edited)

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I got the same call from [Edited: "Personal Information"] saying to “that your existing account is qualified for 50% off in order to avail the discount kindly call us back at [Edited: "Personal Information"] from 8 AM to 5 PM Pacific standard time thank you and have a great day”

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

352 Messages

Truly sorry about the frustration from these unwanted phishing or spam calls. You may follow this link for further information going forward. 

https://comca.st/3elyU6u

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

[Edited: "Personal Information"] guy on phone states he is from Comcast to help return equipment wanted all my information. I have no equipment to return. 2 weeks ago I got a call from the exact same number stating that my Modem had a security breach 

(edited)

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Similar call yesterday offering 50% off Comcast bill for 3 years requiring only that I prepay first 4 months.  While talking to them, I signed into xfinity.com and saw them credit my account for the usual monthly payment in preparation for applying reduced rate. IN OTHER WORDS, THEY HAD HACKED MY XFINITY ACCOUNT.  A day later the credit on my account still remains, paid by a bank account they identified as an eBay account ending [Edited: "Personal Information"]  (they said eBay is sponsoring promo in order to get usage for new prepay cards).  A feature of the scam promo was that they'd add two premium services (Showtime, Cinemax) at no added cost once the 50% rate was in effect.  I received emails from Comcast... real Comcast emails... verifying that my account had been credited and these two services added although for additional $$ (about which scammers said, not to worry, would be credited later).  I was told to call a 2nd number purporting to be Comcast promo number to finalize deal.  There I was informed I'd need to buy prepay card for first 4 months payment at which point finally I hung up and called the Comcast customer support number and after huge hassle reached a human operator.  Comcast -- the real one -- seemed undisturbed by news my account was hacked.  They said they would forward info to "fraud" department... which I doubt exists. Highly unsatisfying.  At least I was able to cancel the two premium services.  Incoming scammer phone: [Edited: "Personal Information"].  Second number they said to call: [Edited: "Personal Information"].  

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

842 Messages

Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention here on our Xfinity Forums page, @user_8cc237. You can also, instead of calling, can reach out to https://comca.st/3Czteza and file this concern there. 

I would like however to take a look at your Comcast account itself to see if there is anything we may be able to fit better for you and your home. Will you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address?
~~~~
To send a "Peer to peer" message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send it

Visitor

• 

9 Messages

@user_8cc237​ making a payment on your account isn't "hacking your account".

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

We got the same offer today for 50% off our service for 2 years with $750 in a Target gift card required for the first payment.  we almost fell for it because when we called the # it sounded like the Comcast process. I called Comcast with the our other cell phone - the # I always use (different than the scam #) to see if it was a valid offer and of course it wasn’t.  The scam experience was so legit sounding that we realized how easily a person can be scammed!!

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

Got a call from the "Billing Department" today with an offer to reduce my monthly bill for two years from 230.66 to 149.99 after I pay an activation fee of 9.99. Only asked for my credit card expiration date. Caller knew my last bill amount and last four digits of my account number! Seems like Xfinity has been hacked. They wouldn't be able to log on to my account as I have two-step verification. Caller was quite persistent. I didn't provide the credit card information. What a deal!

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Hello and welcome to Comcast! Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention. You are in the right place and I am happy to guide you to address the scam call you received. I am happy to hear that you did not provide your account information. Please visit https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/protect-yourself-phone-scams to learn how to report the scam calls into our CSA team. -Roberto

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Thanks, Roberto, but that link relates to phone scams, and the link in that article related to internet scams doesn't work. I'm wondering how the caller got my account number, address, and past billing amount. I terminated the call when he asked for my credit card expiration date. The offer was unbelievable anyways. So major red flags. He didn't bring up the Target gift cards. I have to wonder whether there is a leak in your overseas call center(s).

Problem Solver

• 

323 Messages

Thank you for making us aware of this call. Your security is our top priority and we want to make sure your information remains secure. We will make sure to report the scam calls going to our customers. If you would like for us to look at your account to see if there was a call made to you from us I definitely can do that.

Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? Our team can most definitely take a further look at this issue.

To send a "Direct Message" to Xfinity Support:

Click "Sign In" if necessary

Click the "Direct Messaging" icon or  https://comca.st/3EqVMu7

Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there

- As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list

- An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

Press Enter to send it

See  https://comca.st/3KQF8q9 for an example.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I received a call today with an offer to reduce my monthly bill by 50%. When I returned the call to [Edited: "Personal Information"], the recording sounded very legitimate. I waited for the Comcast agent who informed me that I could reduce my $220 bill to $110 for the next two years with no contract and keep the same services. He told me my address. The catch was that I needed to prepay 6 months. He said that he could place the order but that I would need to call Comcast billing to provide the payment. He proceeded to tell me the details of the program which included going to Target (their corporate sponsor) to purchase the gift cards. He noted, "you can't get anything for free" and Target was sponsoring this deal, hence the reason to purchase the gift cards. I ended the call.

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

637 Messages

@user_c69979 We take your personal information and account security with utmost importance! We can certainly understand the appeal to the savings that had been offered, but am SO glad to hear that you'd ended the call when you did! We will never ask that you purchase any gift cards or anything of that nature to pay for your service!
You can report the call to our Customer Security Assurance team by visiting the following link: https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/help/report-abuse
Additionally, you can check out our Alerts page here: https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/help/alerts to check out the top Phishing scams we've come acrossed and security alerts that have been flagged! Staying informed is of course, one of the best ways to staying protected!
Please let us know if you have any other questions! 

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

It's nice to hear that Xfinity is so "concerned" about it's customers being scammed. Don't they realize that they are being scammed also? The scammers have access to the Comcast system and are operating within it. They move money into and out of Comcast and Comcast blames the customer and charges them $30, adding insult to injury. Comcast is reneging it's obligation to it's customers to protect their accounts. They make you sign in/ verify your account two or three times, whenever you want to conduct business, which is downright annoying and time consuming, but the scammers seem to move money in and out with impunity. Comcast then blames and fines the customer.

Mr TOM KARINSHAK, EXECUTIVE VP AND CHIEF CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE OFFICER:  You write a nice letter about the importance of customer satisfaction, but the reality is poor customer service that begins with an egregious website that takes you to a [Edited: Crude Language], and makes it almost impossible and certainly time consuming to reach a human being to solve a real problem. Why don't YOU try to use this system to do something other than check your bill or report an outage and you will discover how it is designed to PREVENT any contact with an agent.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I GOT A CALL ON YESTERDAY BUT, I FOLLOWED UP WITH THEM. I TALKED TO 3 DIFFERENT PEOPLE NOONE WAS RECORDING THE CALLS OR COULD REMEMBER THE PEOPLE I TALKED TOO. ONE THING THEY ARE GOING TO REALIZE I DO I INVESTIGATE PEOPLE AT WORK. I HOPE NOONE FALLS FOR THIS MESS. 

Visitor

• 

9 Messages

2 years ago

Hello fellow Comcast customers!

So please don't yell at Comcast employees if you fell for a scam!

That's on You not them.

Just follow these rules.

- Never buy a gift card someone tells you to buy ever. No business would do that. 

- Google search phone numbers. They will come up Comcast or whatever. 

I've blocked two phishing numbers already. 

- If the deal sounds too good to be true, it is!

- If you're ever concerned, end the call and call back the official number found online. And only ever do business using that number. 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I just received the SCAM call where my service would be half off PLUS getting HBO, SHOWTIME and CINEMAX for 2 years included, I only have internet service at present, and all I had to do was prepay 10 months up front or $450.  I immediately said no and hungup the phone as the SCAM was confirmed to me.

The thing that concerned me is that they knew my Address and how much my Xfinity bill was each month!!!    

Anyway I knew this was a scam because:

1. the deal was too good

2. [Edited: "Language"] up his script - he initially said it was a 24 month contract then it wasn't, it was a pay as you go plan

3. The number they left to call them back, they left a voice mail, was COMPLETELY different from the one they used to leave the voicemail.  866 vs 595 area codes

Good Luck everyone and be safe!

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here