U

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Friday, August 12th, 2022 11:22 PM

Closed

Did I Get A Scam/Spam Xfinity Sales Call?

This afternoon (08/12/22) I received a pre-recorded voicemail supposedly from Comcast Xifinity. The number that called me was [Edited: "Personal Information"] in Rochester, NY. 

The full message was:

”Hi there I'm calling you from Comcast Xfinity to let you know that your existing account is qualified for 50% off in order to avail the discount kindly call us back at [Edited: "Personal Information"] from 8 AM to 5 PM Pacific standard time thank you and have a great day.”

Is this message ligitimate? If not, who do I report it to? And how do I report it? 

Thank you!

Official Solution

Retired Employee

• 

5.9K Messages

2 years ago

All,

Any time you have been contacted by someone claiming to be from Comcast and you believe it to be a scam, we welcome you to report it to our CSA department. For the latest information about protecting yourself from these and other types of fraud threats, please see here: https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/internet/answered-how-to-protect-yourself-from-fraud/63691d7c92a15b227c2912dd.

Unfortunately, this specific scam is not isolated to Comcast customers, per the FTC's website this appears to be a prevalent issue happening with multiple Internet/TV providers. Additional information about these types of scams provided by the FTC can be found here: https://consumer.ftc.gov/consumer-alerts/2022/10/scammers-are-posing-your-tv-and-internet-company

We recommend reporting these calls directly to the FBI, using their complaint intake portal found at https://www.ic3.gov/Home/ComplaintChoice. These reports can be helpful to them building cases and pursuing bad actors.

Rest assured, we do not sell, and have never sold, information that identifies who you are to anyone. This includes your Internet usage information, video usage information, or call detail information. You can find the full policy by visiting this link: https://www.xfinity.com/privacy/policy

Additional details regarding common phone scams, see Common Phone Scams and How to Protect Yourself

(edited)

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I just received a phone call about giving me a new promotion from Comcast. I knew it was a scam as the number [Edited: "Personal Information"] is a non working number. I tried calling it on my other phone. Plus Xfinity sends a verification code before accessing my account. 

What baffles me is that they had my account details of my previous address. 

How does a scammer have access to Xfinity customer information?

This is concerning!!!

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled Phone Scam

Expert

• 

30.4K Messages

Not Guidelines related.  Moved here for better visibility.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
    I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
    We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Hello @user_5da813 and thank you for bringing this to our attention. We would like to direct you to our team who specialize in this type of security. The Customer Security Assurance organization has been established to ensure a safe and secure experience for Comcast customers. This team is a dedicated group of security professionals who respond to issues pertaining to phishing, spam, infected computers (commonly referred to as bots), online fraud and other security issues. Please give them a call for more help. 

Business Hours: 8:00am - 12:00am EST, 7 days a week
    Here is also a link that provides more details. Customer Security Assurance 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
    Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
    We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
    Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

The phone number [Edited: "Personal Information"] called me offering 50% on my eligible account.  Is this number a fake?  As expensive as xfinity is it immediately raised some major red flags.  There’s no way this could be real.  Is this number a scam?

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

@user_57fa02 the call customers are receiving offering 50% off is a scam call. You can click this link to learn more about how to protect yourself: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/protect-yourself-phone-scams.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

2 years ago

I got a call from [Edited: "Personal Information"] that I am eligible  for a 50% discount on my Xfinity / Comcast account with no changes to my existing service and left the number [Edited: "Personal Information"] to call back. I called the number and was told the offer is for 24 months no conttract and cancellation penalty but I have to prepaid for 6 months at 50% discount from my current monthly service charge this will continue from months 7 to 24.  I told the person I talked to that I want something in writting. The conversation ended without him asking where I want the information to be send. Is this a legitimbe offer?

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled 50% dscount offer to existing customer

Official Employee

• 

863 Messages

Hello @user_857c45 Thanks for checking in with us to see if this is a correct offer. It does not sound like it is valid. I have never experienced us requesting for an account to be prepaid for 6 months. Our billing is processed monthly, about a month in advance and payments are most securely managed online under My account or in the My account / Xfinity app. I would not trust this call or provide them with any credit card or account details. If you are interested in having an official Xfinity employee to review your account for options on a new plan we can help you here, but through a direct message for privacy. We would only need your name and serivce address.

To send a direct message, please click on the chat icon in the top-right corner of the screen, and select "Xfinity Support" to initiate a live chat. 
    Click "Sign In" if necessary
    Click the "direct messaging" icon or https://comca.st/3J0ir1l
    Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
    Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
    Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
    Press Enter to send it 

Thank you @EG for getting this post to the right area! ❤️

Expert

• 

103.6K Messages

@XfinityPaula 

Quite welcome Paula !

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Not applicable

• 

3 Messages

I got a similar offer a few hours ago, but mine was for 36 months.  Had to pay the first six months up front.  The phone number that called me was [Edited: "Personal Information"] and the number I had to call back was [Edited: "Personal Information"].  Sounded too good to be true except for the upfront cost. Because it sounded too good I said No, figuring I would check out the number and the Xfinity website.  Couldn't find any such offer on the website or the phone numbers. 

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Hello @RonH, we appreciate you reaching out to our Digital Care Team. This indeed does sound too good to be true. We do not offer any promotions where we request our customers to pay up front for any deal. As my fellow peer mentioned, our billing is charged month by month. You can also report and view more information about phone scams here: https://comca.st/3JW8dAP 

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

@EG

Thank you EG for moving my post to the proper help section. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I received the same call.  50% discount on my existing amount for 2 years, in exchange for paying the first 6 months....with a Target gift card.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.2K Messages

Hi user_d0ad04, I can't say for sure if this was a spam call or not but I am happy to look into some deals and promotions for you that could save you money on your bill. To get started please send a us a private message by following the steps provided. 

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

My wife got the call also. Can that be possible? 

Problem Solver

• 

352 Messages

That definitely sounds a bit suspicious. We don't call our customers regarding discounts or promotions. If there are any issues at hand, we would text or email you. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

I got the same call.  I haven't contacted them yet but I would love a discount.  

Contributor

• 

340 Messages

Hello @kemawalker I would be happy to provide an account review you lower your rate. Can you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address?

To send a "Direct Message" to Xfinity Support:

Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address?

To send a "Direct Message" to Xfinity Support:

Click "Sign In" if necessary

Click the "Direct Messaging" icon

Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there

- As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list

- An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

Press Enter to send it

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

2 years ago

i received the same call this morning.  the call supposedly came from [Edited: "Personal Information"] - area code in Tennessee.  

(edited)

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

got the same call today. Figured it was a scammer 🤔

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I got the same call too!  First the phone number was not an 800# or 866# prefix which was suspicious.  They represented themselves as Xfinity Promotion Department.  They offered 50% off your current Xifinity bill if you prepaid $1,000 in Target Gift Cards.  In exchange for this prepayment, you would not be billed for 10 months.  It had to be transacted by the end of the day, BUT if you completed the transaction within 1 hour, then you would get a $200 VISA card as a 'thank you.'  I phoned the 800# on the back of my bill and reported this to Xfinity directly.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I also recieved this obviously illegitimate voicemail.  I did not return the call, but if they are asking for upfront payment of any kind (especially Target gift cards!), then you know 100% they are scammers.  Always call/contact the company in question using a method YOU know to be true.  Dont assume the 844 number they passed out is real, call the number on your bill or website.

I will say, the quality of the message was high and lends credibility.  It was not foreign, or robotic, or full of nonsensical phrases or grammar.  Judging solely on the quality of the message, I can see how it may be viewed as legitimate.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I received the following voice message on my phone yesterday: "Hi there, I'm calling you from Comcast Xfinity to let you know that your existing account is qualify for 50% off in order to available discount kindly call us back at (redacted) from 8 AM to 5 PM pacific standard time thank you and have a great day." Due to the grammatical errors in the message and the fact that it's highly unlikely for me to get half off my bill, I did not call them back but thought you might want to know.

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled Received Comcast / Xfinity Scam Voicemail on Phone

Gold Problem Solver

• 

259 Messages

Hi there, thank you for reaching out to our team here in the forums! Please do visit us here to learn more about how to protect yourself from fraudulent calls like the one described above https://comca.st/3R4FKeJ.

I no longer work for Comcast

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

Yes, same exact voicemail today with a very convincing sounding voice/voicemail. The number to call is [Edited: "Personal Information"]

If you google the number the results speak for themself...

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

Yes I received the same call today, which was blocked by my RoboKiller app. 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

I received the same call today! I only listened to offer, thinking at first Xfinity was making some restitution for their multiple day outages recently. [Edited: "Inflammatory"]

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

I received the same call. I called back and set up the account. It was too convincing, and I’m hard to convince. I ended making several Target gift get card purchases for several very realistic sounding reasons they gave me.  I realized this morning it was a scam when I started getting text messages from Xfinity saying I needed to make another gift card payment for weird reason. I ended up calling Xfinity, gave their security all the information about the transactions. I also called my bank, filled them in on the card purchases, then called Target security and gave them all the information. They are looking into it with law angencies.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

I was called yesterday with a 50% off promotion and was told to buy 2 target cards to activate it.  Is this a real promotion or a scam

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled Promotion

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.5K Messages

I was called yesterday with a 50% off promotion and was told to buy 2 target cards to activate it.  Is this a real promotion or a scam

Whenever a phone call, text, or email too-good-to-be-true offer asks you to pay with a gift card, chances are 99.9% that it's a scam.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Expert

• 

103.6K Messages

The concern is not "Xfinity App" help related......... Thread moved here to the proper help section, and for greater exposure to the Comcast corporate employees (The Digital Care Team) for assistance. 

Problem Solver

• 

770 Messages

Hello @user_393ed4, thank you for reaching out for help with a promotion you have questions about. I will be happy to guide you to the right place. That sounds like a great deal, however, we never ask you to purchase gift cards, for a certain promotion. I would consider this to be suspect at minimum. This sounds like a perfect case for our amazing Customer Security Assurance Team. Please, use the link provided to reach out and report the situation, and thank you for bringing it to our attention. 👍

Visitor

• 

15 Messages

@XfinityBrandon​  I too received that call from agent who gave name of Max.  He said they would pay the current account balance and lo and behold it is now $0. 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

How did things turn out for you on this? I also received a message regarding the same deal. 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled Promotion

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.5K Messages

Whenever a phone call, text, or email too-good-to-be-true offer asks you to pay with a gift card, chances are 99.9% that it's a scam.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Expert

• 

103.6K Messages

The concern is not "Xfinity App" help related......... Thread moved here to the proper help section, and for greater exposure to the Comcast corporate employees (The Digital Care Team) for assistance. 

Problem Solver

• 

770 Messages

Hello @user_393ed4, thank you for reaching out for help with a promotion you have questions about. I will be happy to guide you to the right place. That sounds like a great deal, however, we never ask you to purchase gift cards, for a certain promotion. I would consider this to be suspect at minimum. This sounds like a perfect case for our amazing Customer Security Assurance Team. Please, use the link provided to reach out and report the situation, and thank you for bringing it to our attention. 👍

Visitor

• 

15 Messages

@XfinityBrandon​  I too received that call from agent who gave name of Max.  He said they would pay the current account balance and lo and behold it is now $0. 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

How did things turn out for you on this? I also received a message regarding the same deal. 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I just received the same call and as it seemed very legitimate I called back. Once speaking with the “representative” it started to seem more suspicious once I verified my address. I did not provide any further information and asked to have all this information emailed to the email they have on file so I could review since the “representatives” Indian accent was very thick. Should I be concerned they now have my phone number and address but nothing else?

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@user_67f9d3​ 

Your ok just don't give out anything else. Anytime they want you to get Target gift cards it is  definitely a scam. on YouTube they have a channel with a guy named Pierogi on it and he shows you all the different scams that they are using out of India. He goes in their computers and burns them good. Tries to help tell people not to believe these scams!

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I got the same message today.  Figured it was a scam.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I just got the same call today 8/23/22 same message 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I got a call saying I qualified for half price internet for 2 years if I paid for 10 months up front  at 35.00 a month and then it would be $35.00 for the remainder 14 months

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled Scam call

Contributor

• 

271 Messages

I received an automated call this morning on my cell phone from 'Comcast Xfinity', telling me that my 'existing account' is eligible for 50% off and to call a certain number. Neither the number the call came from, nor the number to call, were recognized as known Xfinity phone numbers.

Problem Solver

• 

1.4K Messages

@user_f0e8e7 Hello and thank you for reaching out to us today and letting us know about the scam call you received. You can go to https://comca.st/3ArBlLW to find out more about these scams and see how to report the call as well. 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@edwardp​ I also received this exact same call and I believe I have been scammed out of $3360.00.  when calling this number you are dealing with a Xfinity sound menu a d the aft making a selection areal person speaks with you giving you the sales pitch that target has partnered with Xfinity to offer you a 50% reduction in your bill for purchasing target gift cards and calling them back. I feel stupid for falling for this my bank even alerted me that gift card scrams are on the rise.  I will never purchase another Target gift card nor will I ever have faith in a Xfinity phone again.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

I got the same call from [Edited: "Personal Information"] saying to “that your existing account is qualified for 50% off in order to avail the discount kindly call us back at [Edited: "Personal Information"] from 8 AM to 5 PM Pacific standard time thank you and have a great day”

Problem Solver

• 

352 Messages

Truly sorry about the frustration from these unwanted phishing or spam calls. You may follow this link for further information going forward. 

https://comca.st/3elyU6u

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here