U

Monday, November 6th, 2023 4:29 PM

Closed

Scam Call to Update Router

Scam call to update router

I received a call today about updating my router from someone identifying themselves as being from Comcast/Xfinity .  They said that they had been trying to send security updates to my router that were not going through and asked if I had reset my router lately.  My caller ID identified them as "MR APPLIANCE OF BANDERA" so it did not sound legit to me. I asked how do I know they are from Comcast and they said they could give me the last 4 digits of my account.  I did not have that information in front of me to see if it was correct and told them I did not have time right now to deal with this.  They hung up.  From reading some other reports, I suspect they wanted me to download a file to access my computer.

2 Messages

1 year ago

By the way, they knew my first name.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

@user_y3jkft Hello! Thank you for reaching out to us here on our Community Forum. We would certainly recommend that you reach out to our Customer Security Assurance Team if you believe that your information was accessed without your permission or to report suspicious contacts made to you. Our CSA Team is here to protect you and ensure your information is kept private. You can reach them at (888)565-4329. Please give them a call and if you still need any assistance from us, please let us know.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

1 Message

Got a call from [Edited: "Personal Information"] . A man with an Indian accent called himself "Charles Matthew" He claimed to be from Xfinity. He stated that my modem is problematic since I have 20 computers attached to it. I had one. He wanted me to look at the modem and tell him about which lights are flashing. This was a warning clue since it is their modem and he should know what Xfinity modem I have.  He then wanted me to go to my computer browser and type "KW.S24.help" . That was his real goal.  Off coarse I didn't do that. Then I told him that I was suspicious and I was going to call Xfiinity and verify him and what he said. He hung up. 

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

965 Messages

Hello there @user_rcqx1k ! That definitely sounds like it was a scam call. I am glad you were savvy enough to know and appreciate you spreading the word! I wanted to also point out our great security and abuse reporting site here : https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/help/report-abuse in case anyone may need it. There is a useful feature where we track known alerts as well! : https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/help/alerts

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here