U

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, October 13th, 2021 2:28 PM

Closed

router update scam

I just got a call from someone claiming to be with Comcast Xfinity saying they that there were pending updates to my router that needed to be installed. Seemed strange to me so I asked her to confirm my account which she did. As I was verifying it she hung up. Is was the correct account number so either it was a legit call or my account info has been compromised. My guess is it was compromised. My question is whether or not this was a legitimate call or not?

Expert

• 

105.7K Messages

3 years ago

Concern moved here to the Customer Service help section for greater exposure to actual Comcast employees for assistance.

Official Employee

• 

860 Messages

3 years ago

Hello @user_89dde4! Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us. We can definitely check to see if there are any call logs for you. Can I get you to go ahead and click the Direct Message icon at the top and then compose a new message to "Xfinity Support" with your name and address so we can start digging into this? Thank you!

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I too just got a call "We recently upgraded our servers to 5G" he tells me, "and we tried repeatedly to update your router, but cannot. I'll be providing the technical support to get this done. How many devices use your network?"
I was vague in my answers, as within a few moments the call was disconnected abruptly.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Hello @user_a1d4cf, thank you for reaching out to us through Forums. We can take a look at the account to confirm if a call was made to you regarding your service. Please send a Direct Message with your full name and address.

Here are the detailed steps to direct message us:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon (upper right corner of this page)

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

• Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send your message

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@user_a1d4cf He asked me the same question about the number of devices connected too.  

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I also just got a call from a random mobile number about my router needing an update because some services have been cancelled. I hung up because I was suspicious of the call. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

541 Messages

Good morning, @user_a9ce91, and thanks for reaching out with your concerns over this call you recently received. With the rise of fraud in all areas of our lives, I can understand your concerns. If we place a call to our customers, the number will always be from 800-XFINITY (or COMCAST) on your caller ID. 

If you would like to report this as potential fraud and confirm your account is secure, I highly recommend reaching out to our Customer Security Assurance team using the link below. They are dedicated to helping fight these types of calls and securing your account against potential threats. 

https://comca.st/30F7XUi

I no longer work for Comcast

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I just got a call from a person claiming to be from Comcast saying my router is not 5G.  (5g is cell phone which was weird but I wanted to learn more.)   The guy tried to get me to give him access to my computer via team viewer.    (I hung up once I saw this because I knew this was a scam.)   I can give you a phone number but it was most likely spoofed.  

Carl

Official Employee

• 

772 Messages

@user_d352ac

Thanks for the details.

If you would like to report this as potential fraud and confirm your account is secure, I highly recommend reaching out to our Customer Security Assurance team using the link below. They are dedicated to helping fight these types of calls and securing your account against potential threats. 

https://comca.st/30F7XUi

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I just had a call from 2 numbers: [Edited: "Personal Information"] and [Edited: "Personal Information"]

They claimed to be xfinity workers trying to understand why my recent update did not go thru.

I was confused.

They had me go off site after completing the speed test on xfinity's site.

They told me to press Ctrl windows and R.

Xfinity has almost no way but here to explain this horror to them.

Ive tried multiple times to contact and I keep getting sent to this computer bot who wont give me an operator or agent or technical support.

So Frustrating. 

I played dumb. I

was frustrated and felt like things were off.

Id already learned this vibe in the past with fraudsters...

I've had this happen before when I bought a new laptop and it was having an issue. I brought it into a store and the service people sent it home with me. I got a pop up asking me about the health of my laptop. I felt it as legit. I was wrong. He gently guided me to open windows and watched him begin to sort thru all of my personal info screen after screen until I realized he was looking for personal info and I then just turned the computer off. I was so scared. I promptly brought the laptop back to the corp store and complained that this was from the inside out. They would have no reason to look into my quick books files. The Corp store gave me a coupon for a new laptop. I bought a new one for no cost and the other one died a horrible corrupted death. 

Thankfully I followed my gut and wasted their time looking hte key strokes they were asking me to do on my laptop and asking me what computer I used. I finally just hung up when I couldn't frustrate them anymore.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Hello @user_2e87c7, thank you for reaching out to us on our community forums. Security issues are very important to us. In response to security issues, we have this dedicated link for reporting abuse.  Our awesome Customer Security Assurance team has been established to ensure a safe and secure online experience for Comcast customers. This team is a dedicated group of security professionals who respond to issues pertaining to phishing, spam, infected computers (commonly referred to as bots), online fraud, and other security issues. They can be reached at 1-888-565-4329 their hours of operation are 6:00 am - 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I also have received calls stating there was an issue updating my router and when I began asking her questions, she abruptly hung up on me. Is this a valid call? I suspect it isn't 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I just received a similar call saying that Comcast had detected that some of our services had been shut down and our computer speed was slow which was a problem on the Comcast end which he wanted to fix.He wanted to know how many lights were flashing on the router and how many devices were attached to the router.   He had my son's name as the account holder--not- and the approximate number of devices attached.He wanted me to log in to my account.  I instead Googled this and found that this is likely a scam call.   So I hung up.  

Official Employee

• 

966 Messages

@TLG22 thank you so much for reaching out about these call concerns! You definitely did the right thing and followed your gut. You are able to report any phishing or scamming incident to us via our Comcast Customer Security Assurance Team. Their information is provided for you below along with their operating hours. I've also included some common tips for phone scams as well.

Internet Security with Xfinity - Report Abuse

• Business Hours: 6:00am - 2:00am EST, 7 days a week

https://comca.st/3HWbRZe

Regular Visitor

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

I just had the same sort of phone call myself.  I didn't trust it, since the CallerID showed the number of a local cellphone exchange, and I know for a fact that Comcast no longer has an office in this town.  When I asked the lady about that, she got somewhat indignant (hard to really tell with the thick Asian accent), and she said that they needed to do the upgrade quickly, as my internet was unstable. She then asked me how many devices were connected, and what their names were.  She then told me that they needed for me to do the upgrade from a laptop or a desktop computer, which sounded like scammer code for "we need for you to download and install something"... at which point I questioned her some more, which caused her to get even more indignant. She told me they had lots of customers to get to, and if I didn't want the upgrade she'd need to move on to other customers.  So I let her move on! :-(

Regular Visitor

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

I just had the same sort of phone call myself.  I didn't trust it, since the CallerID showed the number of a local cellphone exchange, and I know for a fact that Comcast no longer has an office in this town.  When I asked the lady about that, she got somewhat indignant (hard to really tell with the thick Asian accent), and she said that they needed to do the upgrade quickly, as my internet was unstable. She then asked me how many devices were connected, and what their names were.  She then told me that they needed for me to do the upgrade from a laptop or a desktop computer, which sounded like scammer code for "we need for you to download and install something"... at which point I questioned her some more, which caused her to get even more indignant. She told me they had lots of customers to get to, and if I didn't want the upgrade she'd need to move on to other customers.  So I let her move on! :-(

Official Employee

• 

455 Messages

Hello @RHoller I can definitely understand your concerns. Anytime that you feel like you are the victim of a phishing scam, you can reach out to our (CSA) Customer Security Assurance Team at 1-888-565-4329 or   https://comca.st/35PiRJH The CSA team specializes in these issues. 

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I just received similar call from Hawaii "xfinity technical rep" with my old addess.. so very phishy... re router upgrade.. how do I get concern to comcat?

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

Hello there @TigerSpace!  Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to Xfinity Support with Digital Care here on our Community Forum with your concerns.  We are so glad to hear from you and want to assist in any way that we can to get this taken care of for you.  As a company, we take these attempts seriously and have a team devoted to protecting you and your information. Our Customer Security Assurance (CSA) team makes sure you have a safe online experience. These security professionals handle issues like phishing, spam, infected computers (often called bots), online fraud and other security issues.  Please feel free to contact them at at 1-888-565-4329 or online at https://comca.st/3HWO37Y.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I just had the same thing.   The person was clearly in a call center of sorts and had accent that could have been Indian or Middle Eastern.  The caller ID showed a phone number exchange matching my own and it didn't include Comcast on caller ID (but the name of my town).   He said they were sending signals to my router so they can push a 5G upgrade from 4G and getting errors and asked how many blinking lights I had on my router and how many connects I had to it etc. etc.  They wanted to get into my router IP settings by going to 198.168.10.1.   I told them I didn't understand how an upgrade from 4G to 5G was even relavent for my coax connected line.  I asked him for an employee # and he gave me something and then offered me my account # ending in XXXX (which I don't know to even confirm).  I asked him to confirm my address and he had it.  I told him I was uncomfortable and that I would call Comcast directly and he said okay you can call and they will say the same thing and he gave me the number [Edited: "Personal Information"].  First I noted that was too long a number.  Then he told me -- no "800".  I noted that while 267 is a Philadephia area code (where Comcast is HQ'd) it was clear that anything other than an 800 number was highly suspect.  I googled this phone # and see no record if it being related to Comcast.  Am I correct that this was not legitimate?

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here