kchess's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

14 Messages

Tuesday, June 18th, 2024 5:23 PM

Closed

Reusing customer owned modem

My daughter moved out and has Comcast/Xfinity at her new residence. Can she reuse my old customer owned modem (SB6183, still on approved list)? Or will she have issues trying to activate it since it was previously activated? Just trying to find out before she tries and it turns into a nightmare for her.

Accepted Solution

Frequent Visitor

• 

14 Messages

2 months ago

She ended up just waiting for the new one to arrive. Activated it via the app and all is well Thanks for all the replies.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

kchess Thank you so much for the update! We are just glad to hear everything is taken care of for you! 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

3 months ago

@kchess being honest with you the SB6183 is a bit of an older modem. It's a DOCSIS 3.0 and only able to handle speeds up to 400 Mbps. We are now using DOCSIS 3.1 as most of our speeds are almost all over 400 Mbps. That being said and if she doesn't have a plan over 400 Mbps she shouldn't have any problems using that modem. 

(edited)

Frequent Visitor

• 

14 Messages

@XfinityPeterH​  Thanks! This will be a temporary fix until the modem she ordered shows up.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

@kchess Hey no worries! Let us know if anything comes up. Always happy to help. :-)

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

3 months ago

@XfinityPeterH  wrote: "... she shouldn't have any problems using that modem."

Doesn't Comcast have to "unregister" the modem from the existing account before it will be available to register on the new account?

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Frequent Visitor

• 

14 Messages

That was my concern.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

As long as it's no longer active on your current account you can activate your own modem using the Xfinty app, kchess

Expert

• 

105.7K Messages

@BruceW​ 

You beat me Bruce !! 😆

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Expert

• 

105.7K Messages

@kchess​ 

Contact a rep and have them remove the modem from your account or there will be a problem.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Expert

• 

105.7K Messages

2 months ago

Now closing this marked "Solved" topic.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here