U

Visitor

• 

21 Messages

Thursday, October 5th, 2023 11:45 PM

Closed

Pixelation issues on one tv after getting new modem

My primary cable box has been having issues with the picture pixelating when watching live tv.  It started after I upgraded my internet and got a new modem.  Xfinity sent me a new modem because the one I had wasn’t fast enough.  I don’t think it’s connecting to the new modem because previously when I looked at my connected devices on the app it always showed up as connected but now is shows up on the not connected list and under details it says it’s offline and was last connected on 9/22/23, which is the day that I hooked up the new modem.  This is a wired box and there is nothing in device settings to connect it to the intenet. However, I can watch apps such as prime video and Netflix with no pixelation, it’s just live tv channels (all of them).

The box also started having the picture messing up and pixelating after hooking up the new modem. I don’t know if it’s just a coincidence or if it has something to do with the new modem.  I have tried everything, I did a system refresh, restarted the box, got a new hdmi cable, got a new splitter and the box does get hot.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

11 months ago

Good evening @user_de8085, and thank you for reaching out on our Community Forums regarding your pixelation issues, I can imagine how frustrating that is while you are trying to enjoy watching TV. Can you confirm that all the cables are secured tightly? May I also ask if you are experiencing any error codes or messages? 

Visitor

• 

21 Messages

Yes, I have check the cables and they are all tightened.  No, there are no error codes or messages.

Thank you.

Official Employee

• 

2.1K Messages

I appreciate those details! How long have you had your current box? Have you tried restarting your modem to see if that helps?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

21 Messages

I have had the box for around 1 year and yes I have restarted it several times.

Official Employee

• 

2.3K Messages

If you would like to swap out the equipment, you can visit a local service center to swap the equipment for free. If you are needing any assistance in locating a service center you can follow this link: https://www.xfinity.com/support/service-center-locations/ to locate one near you. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

21 Messages

Okay, i went to the xfinity store to swap the box.  I have a question about something I want to clarify.   This was my wired primary box and the lady at the store said they didn't have any in stock at the store.  She said I could either order one or she could give me a wireless one.  I questioned her because when I first got X1 I was told you had to have a wired primary box on one of the tv's, and my other 2 boxes are wireless.   So I asked her, "Can I have 3 wireless boxes with no wired box and no primary box?", and she said yes. 

So I just want to verify that's correct, that I don't have to have at least 1 wired box to act as a primary box.   The 3 wireless boxes are working but I want to make sure to avoid any future problems.  None of my 3 wireless boxes are designated as a primary box, but they're working as of now.

(edited)

1 Message

10 months ago

I received a XB8 gateway and hooked it up. Once it was power'd up and working, the tv sets started to show pixelation; the frequency of pixelation occurred every 45 to 60 seconds on the sets - 3 sets in different rooms. I pulled the power to it and monitored the tvs for 15 minutes - NO pixelation. Power'd back on and within minutes pixelation occurred again, same frequency. All connections were tight and NO problem was present prior to installing the new XB8!

I then hooked up my old unit, I think it is a XB5, and will return the XB8 to Comcast. I will discuss this problem with them at the store, but I seriously doubt anyone there can resolve this issue, and from what I have read on various blogs, it's a problem that Comcast CANNOT fix.

Problem Solver

• 

1.3K Messages

@user_wj9b7l Hi there, we would really like to look into this for you. The XB8 should not be causing issues like this. Please send us a direct message with your full name and service address. 

Here are the detailed steps to Direct Message us:
• Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Direct Message" icon (upper right corner of this page)
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send your message

I no longer work for Comcast.

4 Messages

@user_wj9b7l​ this exact situation is happing to me.  Did you get it resolved.  Very annoying.  Thanks

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

Thanks for commenting on our community forums, @user_2k4yg0. I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing a similar issue. What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far? Did you check the coaxial connection on both ends (wall plate, TV box, and modem)? Manually reboot the equipment or try our Xfinity App troubleshooting steps? 

4 Messages

Thanks, yes I performed all of those steps to no avail.  

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

Thanks for trying those steps in advance, @user_2k4yg0. As mentioned by my peer, the modem should not be affecting the TV signal. Let's take a look here and check the TV signal. Could you please send our team a Direct Message with your name and service address? Our team can take a further look at this issue.

To send a Direct Message:

Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Direct Messaging chat" icon

• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

• Press Enter to send it

5 Messages

8 months ago

I had this exact same problem a year ago with cable pixelation and internet data packet loss when installing the XB7 and XB8 modems. Xfinity technician came to my home and couldn't fix the problem with the new modems. We reinstalled the XB3 and the problems went away. The technician said that xfinity is aware of the problem but have no fixes. You might try a third party modem. I didn't really have that option as my equipment rental is part of my plan. My contract plan is up in 6 months. Aftewhich I may try a third party modem or change services with another company. Disappointing as I have been a customer with Comcast more than 10 years.

Official Employee

• 

2.5K Messages

@user_0ywpqw Thank you for reaching out to us here on our Xfinity Forums. Even if the modem is included in the plan, you may still have the option to switch to a customer owned modem. I'm happy to take a look for you if you could send us a DM to Xfinity Support with your full name and address.

To send a direct message:
Click the "Direct Message" icon or  https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging
Click the "New message" (pen and paper) icon
The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there.
As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list.
An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line.
Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
Press Enter to send it

4 Messages

The technician came to my house when I was there. ad replaced the 3-way splitter with a two-way version.  This disconnected the TV's upstairs bedrooms which were relying on the feed.  No one home knew and I discovered when I got home.  I moved the modem upstairs and away from the main cable feed and this fixed the issue.  I do wish that the technicians were better at troubleshooting.  Paying a car payment per month doesn't make sense anymore.  I'll try streaming very soon to remove complication and cost.

Good luck. 

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

@user_2k4yg0 Thank you for reaching out to us here on our Community Forum. We are happy to hear that you were able to resolve the issue and if there is anything we can do for you going forward, please don't hesitate to let us know. 

5 Messages

@XfinityBillie​ 

My contract includes internet equipment rental. I'm not going to buy a third party modem until my contract ends. This doesn't answer the question why the latest modems supplied by xfinity cause the problems with cable TV pixelation and internet data packet losses. I'm using the old XB3 that doesn't have these problems. Unfortunately, I'm paying for high speed internet that the XB3 is incapable of reaching the higher speeds.

Problem Solver

• 

1.3K Messages

@user_0ywpqw There isn't an official known issue on why the newer models aren't working for your home. Did you try our XB6 modem at all? 

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

7 months ago

I had the same problem with my tv pixelating after installing a new modem. I changed the cables, splitter, tv box, the modem twice and nothing helped. I disconnected the modem and the tv worked perfectly. I reconnected the modem and the pixelation started again.

The Xfinity technician could not figure out why.

As a last resort he moved the modem to a different room and the tv now WORKS PERFECTLY.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

7 months ago

My sister recently encountered a similar problem, her cable TV developed intermittent pixelation and sound interruption that would last 4-5 seconds after an XB7 gateway was installed.  I discovered that between the incoming coaxial line to the TV and gateway were a 1:2 splitter, a 1:3 slitter, and a 1:2 splitter (for the TV and gateway).  I bypassed the first two splitters and the pixelation/sound interruption resolved.  I was prepared to install a Commscope CSMAPDU9P HomeConnect Amplifier unit but that was not necessary after the first two splitters were bypassed.  I have used this in my home for several years to avoid the need for splitters and to maintain signal strength to each coaxial outlet.  A few tips: 1. Use quality RG6 coaxial cable.  2. Use compression type cable connectors.  3. Make sure the cable connections are tight.

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

Hi, @Bob78 I appreciate your input and contribution to the thread. We are grateful for your engagement and cooperation. 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

4. Use terminators on unused coaxial ports.

1 Message

6 months ago

I have the exact same issue!  When I turn the internet modem off the main tv works perfectly.  This is pretty problematic in my mind as clearly this is a known issue.  I can’t get higher speeds with my old modem so Xfinity sent me the new one.  Incredibly frustrated.  

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Hi there, @user_50j3uf I'm very sorry for the inconvenience you are experiencing with your service. What troubleshooting steps have you performed?-Richard

1 Message

6 months ago

This happened to me. 

Never had any issues, was pushed into getting the XB8, as soon as it was installed I began having pixelation issues.

To clear things up:
1) All my cables are tight

2) I traded in my cable box for a new one, still having the same issue
3) I have one Comcast-installed splitter in the entire chain

Doing some research, it looks like others have this issue.   No way I'm having a tech come out to charge me $100 for not fixing the issue.  ([Edited: "Language"], why would I pay them $100 to fix something on their end?)

It is CLEARLY related to the XB8.  And Comcast clearly knows what the issue is yet just gives us the run-around during tech support.

I already had to get a new wifi router usb for my son's computer because the Belkin I had did not work with the dual signal set up this modem puts out - for no [Edited: "Language"] reason.

Google Fiber here I come.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

Hello @user_v68dlk, pixelation issues are never fun, especially after an upgrade when you're expecting improved performance. I'd love a chance to work with you more on this issue and help find a resolution. Is the pixelation only occurring on one TV box? Is it constant pixelation, intermittent, and is it impacting all channels? 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

6 months ago

I am having the exact same issues as everyone else. Was pushed to change my modem for higher speed, and now I am constantly getting pixelation and sound issues and sometimes the screen just goes black. I’ve checked the cables, restarted, refreshed, gone through all the trouble shooting suggestions many times and nothing fixes it.  I have been delaying moving to all streaming, but this is definitely pushing me to make that happen. TV was perfectly fine before I “upgraded “ to the higher speed.

Official Employee

• 

2K Messages

clarkinkan, thanks for letting us know that your TV service has not been working well. We appreciate all of the troubleshooting steps you have tried and apologize they did not resolve the problem. We don't want you to have to repeat things that have already been done so I would like to take a look at your account from here. I can run a diagnostic report and go from there.

Please send us a direct message with your full name and complete service address to “Xfinity Support”. To do so, click on the direct messaging icon located at the top right of this forums page.

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us:
• Click the "Direct Message” icon (upper right corner of this page)
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list

1 Message

5 months ago

I am having the same pixelation issue as everyone else. I have had my XB8 modem and X1 cable boxes set up for a few months now and the pixelation issue just started a couple of weeks ago.  It only impacts the X1 boxes and if I unplug the modem the X1 the pixelation stops.  I have older cable boxes on other TVs and no issue with pixelation when the modem is plugged in.  Has anyone been able to resolve this?  

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Hello user_yqmdn0

Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? Our team can most definitely take a further look at this issue.

To send a Direct message:
• Click the "Direct Message" icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears.

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

Having the same problem as all the other posters. I just spent a couple of frustrating days doing system resets, replacing cables, buying a new splitter and replacing the cable box, only to find out that the constant video disturbances are the fault of the new gateway I just received. Just like the other posters on this thread, if I unplug the new gateway the television works fine. The gateway is centrally located now and I don't want to move it to another room. It seems fairly obvious there is a built-in design problem with the new gateways. The first reported problem in this thread was 7 months ago. Xfinity you really need to solve this problem now. Do you have a different modem you can offer me?

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

Hello LarryAL, thank you for providing those details to get us on the same page, and for already going through some steps to troubleshoot the issue as well. Depending on your gateway, we may be able to replace it, but we typically swap a gateway once we've exhausted our troubleshooting options. The reason being to ensure we've identified the exact cause. Is your picture pixelating on all channels or just live TV? Also, are you only having the issue on TV box? 

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

I'm not sure what you mean by your questions. I think you're wanting me to compare live TV versus recorded TV versus on demand. On live TV, all of the channels have the distortion/pixelation. The screen also goes to black every couple of minutes. The sound also drops out. On recordings I have all of the same problems. The problems are recorded into the programs, that is the problems always appear in the same spots since they are recorded in. On demand programs don't seem to have any issues. All of these problems are through the cable box, but only when the gateway is casting. There is no issue while the gateway is unplugged or booting up. However, as soon as the gateway is fully booted (that is the white light appears on the gateway) the picture degradation immediately begins.

Official Employee

• 

809 Messages

LarryAL We appreciate that information, and we can further troubleshoot on our end. If needed, we can have a technician out if you want. Since you narrowed down that the issue might be directly tied to your modem, are you going to be going to your local Xfinity store to get that, or do you want us to ship one out for you? 

2 Messages

5 months ago

I'm having the same exact problem after installing the new gateway that Xfinity sent to me.

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Hello, user_4cffl1 Thanks so much for taking a moment out of your day to leave a comment on our community forum. Have you tried all the troubleshooting steps mentioned in this thread?

1 Message

4 months ago

Exact same problem as all the others. What is the fix? 

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Hello @user_2ffy6c, thank you for taking the time to reach out on social media. 

I rely on my cable daily and can appreciate you wanting it to work consistently. I'd be happy to run some troubleshooting for you today. Troubleshooting can also be done through the My Account App or online at https://www.xfinity.com/support/tv#troubleshooting.

If you still need assistance after troubleshooting, will you please send us a direct message with your full name and complete service address to “Comcast Business”. To do so, click on the chat icon located at the top right of this forums page.

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us:

• Click the "Direct Message” icon (upper right corner of this page)

Visitor

• 

11 Messages

There is no "Direct Message" that I can find after signing in.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Good morning, @Stiv99. I'm sorry to hear you're still experiencing this pixelated issue even after installing the new modem. 

To send a direct message you may need to:

Click "Sign In"
Click the "direct message" icon
Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
Press Enter to send it.

Visitor

• 

11 Messages

I'm signed in.  where is the Direct Message in the upper right corner of this image?  It doesn't exist.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Try clearing out your cache and cookies, @Stiv99. The Direct Message icon should be visible. 

1 Message

4 months ago

Hi, exact same issue happened to me. How can this be fixed?

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

Hi, @user_p11fib. Thank you for reaching out. Can I get more details about the equipment you have? Do you have a traditional cable box or a wireless cable box? 

3 Messages

4 months ago

Same here, all fine before the new XB8-T, and all fine when not connected to that.  Otherwise pixels, everything else has been troubleshooted.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Hello, @user_lyvtbd. Can you check if there's a splitter connected between the wall plate and cable box?

1 Message

4 months ago

Same issues but now it’s even worse with the new Gateway

Visitor

• 

11 Messages

Just installed the new Gateway modem that was pushed on me and now am getting the same pixelation issues on my live TV through the cable box!!!  Have checked all cables, reset the cable box to no avail.  Help!

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

3 months ago

This is exactly what is happening to me now. We have done everything possible to try to fix it, including replacing the cable box and cables. If I disconnect the modem, the pixelation goes away, but of course, so does our internet. Please help!  I tried to start a separate discussion but after all my typing it failed to post. 

Official Employee

• 

809 Messages

user_30eda6 This isn't the experience we want any customer to have, and my team can help. Are you experiencing this on all channels or just specific ones? 

Visitor

• 

11 Messages

@XfinityShawn​ 

All live channels.

Tried to get online help from XFinity, they could not solve the problem and refused to admit that it was a common issue.  yet there are many many complaints on line that are reporting this.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here