U

Wednesday, July 24th, 2024 8:06 PM

Data usage

Please tell me how I can see what is driving up my data usage. How do we find out. All these years and this is the first time this has ever happened. Nothing has changed. No way to see it on your app. 

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

2 months ago

Hey @user_mywia1, Thank you for visiting our official Xfinity Forums Community support page. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience regarding the Xfinity Internet data usage. I would be more than happy to offer my assistance looking into this further for you.

I certainly understand the importance of keeping track of the data usage in the home in order to prevent any additional charges from populating. While we would be unable to provide you with specifics, we do keep record of all incoming and outgoing data usage. We do not track specifically the data or devices using that data. 

I would highly recommend using the Xfinity App where you can view the current monthly data usage for the account. It can take up to 24 hours for the data usage meter to update, but would provide an accurate assessment of the data usage for the home.

3 Messages

Tried that. Tells me the usage but not specifics. So I have no idea why my usage has almost doubled in July. Nothing has changed.  Why!!!! Cannot I not see what Device is driving usage. We were barely home yesterday and your customers service agent told yesterday usage was high! Explain that!

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Please accept my most sincere apology for the experience you have encountered @user_mywia1, but as mentioned above, we are unable to see where the data usage is being used. If you wish, you can always purchase third-party networking equipment that may have those features, but we do not have the ability to track the data usage beyond incoming and outgoing data. You can use the Xfinity App on a daily basis to see and calculate usage.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

3 Messages

I find it odd that several consumers are experiencing the same thing all of a sudden. Seems fishy! 

Official Employee

• 

700 Messages

I completely understand the concerns, user_mywia1! We would recommend reaching out to our Customer Security Assurance Team for further assistance with what is driving the data concerns. You can find their information here https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/help/report-abuse. Please let us know if you have any other questions/concerns. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

1 Message

1 month ago

I'm experiencing the same thing. The crazy part is we were without service for 7 days due to power outages from Hurricane Beryl.  But I went from an average of 500-600 gb to 1100+ with 6 days left in my billing period  Something isn't adding up. 

Official Employee

• 

860 Messages

@user_v735cw Do you have devices that automatically back things up to the cloud? Often when you lose service for an extended time, updates and backups happen as soon as the service returns and drives up the usage.

1 Message

xfinity always has an excuse for why your internet usage spikes (even when you're not home for an extended time).  But, they have no answers and continue to make it the customers' problem.  Personally monitoring my usage spikes does nothing to solve the problem.  The question is, "Why am I being billed for excessive data use when I haven't even been home and most connected devices are paused for because I'm trying to keep my data usage down?"  Answers to the metering problem would be more helpful than telling us to simply watch the meter go up and up, and then over your limit with no help from xfinity.  

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Hi there @user_cixmei. I know I'd be wondering that same thing too! You've reached the right team for help. A benefit to choosing Xfinity is xFi Complete which allows you to personalize and control your home network. This is beneficial because you're able to easily manage who is online, when, and using what device. You can even pause and unpause individual devices or an entire user profile from accessing your home network. Even receive a text alert if an unknown device connects to your network. To gain a better understanding of the data consumption; have you had a chance to create user profiles for members within your home, name devices, and allocate connected devices to each user in your home? 

As a quick reminder; you can find out how much data you use and see your monthly data history online. To do so visit the devices page on xfinity.com, and you'll see your Data Usage Overview. You’ll need to sign in with your Xfinity ID and password. You can also see your data usage using the Xfinity app by selecting Internet Data usage from the main screen. I wanted to quickly share this article to review what counts towards your data usage plan which may help. Please let us know if customizing Xfinity xFi and cross-referencing who and what devices are online by using the data usage tools helps!

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here