U

19 Messages

Wednesday, September 4th, 2024 10:33 PM

Closed

Continual fraud accounts allowed to be created

Why does Xfinity apparently have zero fraud prevention measures in place?
For the 2nd time in the last 3 months Xfinity has allowed an account to be created in my name, this despite my credit being entirely frozen.

Both accounts created in cities thousands of miles from where I live. 

Zero credit checks can be made.   Yet, apparently all one needs is easily found names and phone numbers on the dark web to create accounts.
The "fraud department" is utterly useless, most have a feeble at best grasp of the English language.   Essentially all they do is direct you to the page to file out an 8 page identity theft claim.

Of course they make ME, furnish ID's, utility bills etc etc etc to prove who I am.  Yet fraudsters require none of this information.    Truly bizarre.   

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

14 days ago

Hello user_q75ulb, I can only imagine how frustrating it is to deal with fraudulent activity. We have a dedicated team that can help with any fraudulent concerns you have. Our Customer Security Assurance (CSA) team has a Website where you can get started. Have you already worked with them? 

(edited)

19 Messages

@XfinityMarcos​ 

https://internet-security-site-web.as-g7.cf.comcast.net/help/report-abuse

The link provided doesn't even function.   I can only assume it simply links to the 8 pages of forms I have to fill out because of Xfinity's complete lack of security for creating accounts. 

The CSA team was utterly useless.  They simply tell you to fill out the forms and they will "investigate" over the next couple of weeks.

Meanwhile I have the phyiscial address and a shipping notice of the scammer that they have zero interest in.  

This along with the user name and e-mail address the scammer is using.

Again, they had zero interest in any of this information. 

19 Messages

14 days ago

"If you have not done so already, report the fraud to the following organizations.  Any one of the nationwide consumer reporting agencies can place a fraud alert on your credit report.  Fraud alerts can prevent an identity thief from opening any more accounts in your name.  The company you call is required to contact the other two, which will place an alert on their versions of your report too."

I love that Comcast includes this on the identity theft packet that has to be filled out.
My credit is frozen, and fraud alerts noted at all 3 credit agencies, yet Comcast happily opened a fraud account for someone using my information without doing any sort of credit check. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

14 days ago

@XfinityMarcos wrote: "... Customer Security Assurance (CSA) team has a Website ..."

The employee, yet again, posted a CSA link which is only accessible to employees, not to customers. Try https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/help/report-abuse instead.

If you get a "Bad Request" message on my link, try opening it in a different browser or in a Private/InPrivate/Incognito window.

When you Comment on a post (by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...") I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

19 Messages

@BruceW​   Thanks, private tab worked but it simply links to the page to print out the 8 page form and how to supply all the documentation to prove who I am.  

Once again, lax security issues simply get dumped on the customer instead of implementing some fraud protection   

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

I would definitely keep reaching out to the CSA team, since they're only team that can help. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

19 Messages

@XfinityAntoine​   It just keeps getting "better".

Was just on the phone with a nice gentleman at the CSA team for close to an hour.  

He told me my power bill dated August 13th showing my proof of residency at the address I have been in since 1995 was not adequate.

The utility bill has to be dated from August 25th or later.  As if I have any control over when utility bills close.
In the interim the fraudster will receive his SIM cards delivered by FedEx in my name at an address over 2,500 miles from where I live.

No effort will be made to freeze the fraud account.  None. 

Now this criminal will have an activated phone in my name and my phone number which he will try and port into that Comcast provided phone. 

If that happens two factor authentication allows them to start accessing bank accounts, etc etc. 

To add further insult, the conversation took place on the phone line associated with the fraud account.

This is who Comcast is.   

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

user_q75ulb, Oh my. I was a victim of fraud too a couple years ago with Verizon and the criminals got away with 2 phones and sim cards. I understand the frustration that this has caused. Did our Customer Security Assurance team provide any additional information?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

19 Messages

Comcast  CSA has been utterly useless throughout this entire process.   Just breathtakingly incompetent.   

Comcast simply refuses to do their job in stopping criminals once they are notified.   

19 Messages

10 days ago

I have sent further details via direct message. 

19 Messages

7 days ago

Just a follow up.  After one full week and hours upon hours of time on the phone, submitting photo ID's, submitting utility bills the fraudulent account was finally shut down.

As noted previously this happened 3 months ago.   

The customer service ladies and gents on here were very helpful.  

With that said, ultimately the Comcast fraud department refuses to block my phone number, name, SS number etc from being allowed by criminals to create more new accounts.

So at ultimately the major issue was NOT resolved.  Comcast still has a system in place where they allow fraud accounts to be created with no credit checks.
Heck, they allowed my phone number to be used on 3 different accounts at Comcast.

Now I have to still be vigilant and wait for the next fraud account to be opened and then go through this same mess again.   

Ultimately NOTHING changed at Comcast to protect consumers from Identity theft at Comcast. 

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

4 days ago

user_q75ulb, Thank you for sharing more of your time and energy, I realize it's not ideal and far from how you'd actually like to spend your time. I'm glad we were able to help get facilitate a resolution with our CSA team. Have a great rest of your weekend and be safe out there. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here