N

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, October 28th, 2021 1:13 AM

Closed

Cannot pick up incoming calls, end up going to voicemail that is not enabled

Calls coming in via my Xfinity voice line cause my home telephone to ring, but when I pick up and answer it, there isn't anyone there.  Meanwhile the person calling hears the ringing continuing until it reverts to what would be the Xfinity voicemail.  The only thing is that I don't have Xfinity voicemail enabled so the system just reports that voice mail is not set up. 

This all started after transferring my service from my home to an apartment.  Everything was working fine before the move.  And after the move TV and Internet both work without a problem.  Regarding the phone service I can get a dial-tone, dial out, and successfully make a phone call speaking with anyone I wish to.  I have resetted/rebooted the cable modem multiple times, unplugged the phone and plugged it back following various sequence patterns, nothing seems to work.  Looking at the phone settings for Call Forwarding, Advanced Call Forwarding shows only the home phone number as enabled.  Trying to disable that yields the warning "Turning this setting off will prevent your home phone from ringing when you receive a call. Are you sure you wish to continue?"  So I cancel that attempt and leave it enabled.  And Selective Call Forwarding has no numbers defined for it.  So I cannot understand why I cannot answer incoming calls.

I have spent nearly 5 hours already with customer support, both via calls and chatting, trying to work this issue out and some other possibly related issues.  The other issues were resolved, but not this.  The other issues were: 

a) Not being able to access or add the new account under my existing Xfinity ID. 

b) Service not showing Phone to be included.

c) Internet and TV Services still reported a status of "Pending activation" even though they were indeed working (activation had been called in beforehand and thought it was successful). 

The original problem that prompted me to contact customer support in the first place was the same problem that I'm posting about now.

Now after seeing a couple of other posts that sound almost exactly the same as what I'm experiencing I'm wondering if I can get the tech(s) who fixed those problems to help me.  They seem to know what has to be done.  Here are the other forum postings reporting success but no specific solution.  XfinityLysa is the forum name on one of the following posts.

https://bit.ly/3bfk0tw

https://bit.ly/3BpUZGC

Can someone help?  Really need to find the person(s) who know what the real source of this problem is.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

3 years ago

Hello there @nellmar721 I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your home phone since moving to a new location and issues linking a new account to your Xfinity ID. I am more than happy to help take a look into this for you so you can get to using your services as you should!

If you could send our team a private message with your full name, the name listed on the account (if different), and the service address associated with your account, I'd be more than happy to look into this for you.

To send a Private Message, please click on the chat icon in the top-right corner of the screen, next to the bell icon, and then type or select "Xfinity Support" to initiate a live chat.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I have the same problem regarding not being able to connect when my phone rings. I can make outgoing calls, but I am unable to pick up the phone and talk to the person who is calling. It just rings and eventually goes to voice mail even after I have picked up. Can someone help me resolve this?

Problem Solver

• 

528 Messages

Hello! I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your phone service. Please send a private message with your full name and full address? I can most definitely take a further look at this issue.

To send a "Peer to peer" ("Private") message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity
Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send it

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

I am having this same problem. I can call out but when my sister calls me...the phone rings I pick it up..nothing.. when I try calling my home land line from my cell... the phone keeps ringing..... even though the land line has been picked up...  I was on the phone with customer service for a long time and it was NOT resolved..this is totally unacceptible

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

Hey, @user_084ff4 thanks for contacting our team on our Forums. I am sorry to hear about the issues you are experiencing and we are happy to help. To get started please select the "peer to peer chat" icon (upper right corner of this page), click the "new message" icon, type/select "Xfinity Support", and then type/send your name with your address.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@marybh​ 

Here’s the Fix !

Same issue for months!

Can call out, but can’t receive calls.

Just silence when I pick up.

The caller would continue to hear ringing.

There are (2) phone ports on the back of the Xfinity modem.

They are numbered 1 & 2, but,

it’s very hard to see the numbers!

Your phone line MUST be plugged into port #1 !!  

The other port #2, is for fax line, or business line.

Plugging your primary phone line into the 2nd port, cause several issues!

The Xfinity tech explained this, swapped the ports, & Immediately fixed the problem for me!

The modem should be clearly marked, & should be better setup instructions, to emphasize connection to port #1 !

I spent lots of $ on new phones,

new cables, many months of no service, & much frustration,

over such a simple fix.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Same problem here, Can't answer. All calls go to voice mail.

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

Hello, @user_2c12e5. Thanks for commenting on our community forums to let us know you are experiencing the same issue. I'm sorry to hear all the calls are going straight to voicemail. To confirm, have you tried rebooting your modem to refresh the landline connection? Or use the Xfinity My Account App to send a reset signal? I would also suggest checking the voicemail set up online. Here is a good link with additional information on how to change the Number of Rings Before Your Voicemail Answers. Let me know if this helps. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here