MacLady's profile

Contributor

• 

73 Messages

Tuesday, June 25th, 2024 1:04 AM

Calls Asking Customers to Use Xfinity Mobile/Scam or Not?

This morning got a call from (844) 330-7185 "Unknown" claiming to be Xfinity and asking me to switch my mobile to them as a provider. (I use and prefer Verizon Wireless for that) That's the phone number I have on account with them so that is what they called me on.

The solicitor proceeded to tell me all my email addresses, most of which are nowhere on the internet, that I had a massive credit of almost $800 on my account due to overpayment, and that I had 5 devices connected to the internet.  I was stunned!

He asked for the IMEI number (or somesuch) of my cell phone to 'see if it's compatible with Xfinity Mobile' which I thought meant it was a scam because all phones are compatible so I refused to give him any information. He assured me he wasn't asking for money.

I was so concerned about this because feeling it was a scam I could not understand how he had all the information about my account.

So I called security and they did say that this 844 number IS Xfinity and it IS from the Dominican Republic (the guy told me that is where he was calling from when I accused him of being from India or Nigeria as that is what came up when I searched on the number)

So, after being assured the reason he knew my information was because he was real, I could only laugh and say --- too bad for their marketing program since I get dozens of these scam calls every day and now you have no idea who is real and who isn't!

Still be careful as MOST of these calls ARE scams.

1 Message

1 month ago

I just got a call like this. He said he’d lower my bill 50% and asked for my IMEI to see if my phones were compatible. I hung up and blocked him 

Contributor

• 

73 Messages

@user_ai859f​ If you are not sure and you really do want to use that service, you make the call to order it instead. That way you know who you are dealing with.

They checked on the number for me and I said, it must be hard for your telemarketers because 99% of these calls are scams and this one will be looked at as such  as well.

Official Employee

• 

903 Messages

@MacLady, thanks for this information! That does seem to be a scam. Just an FYI, you can check out current alerts for this type of activity here : https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/help/alerts as well as report things like this here : https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/help/report-abuse

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

73 Messages

@XfinityFrank​ Actually my call WAS legit, but so many are scams it's hard to tell. As I said above, if you want to switch your services, call them yourself. Do not wait for solicitations.

1 Message

6 hours ago

I've received several calls from this number. I pickup but don't say anything to see if THEY will say anything. The interesting part is that they never say anything to me but there is plenty of talking going on in the "room". Most are foreign sounding voices and there are people who appear to be dictating to others talking on the phone to "customers/potential victims". The main thing that they keep stressing is "to make sure you get their account information" and "Tell them we are not scammers". The call yesterday left this open connection for almost 3 minutes and the conversation was very enlightening. This clearly appears to be a scam. And here is the joke, Comcast/Xfinity offering 50% off anything is a scam. I consider Comcast/Xfinity prices to be a scam anyway much less them offering 50% off. So maybe you believe them to be legitimate but it's highly unlikely. All the data breaches in the last year have given scammers all the information they need to con you. They have your phone number, social security number, address and with that information they can easily get account information from just about any company that you do business with. Heck, they can steal your house by changing a mortgage. Sometimes I wish we could trash the internet and go back to good old fashioned paper and snail mail. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here