mbg71's profile

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

Thursday, August 29th, 2019 5:00 AM

Closed

WHY IS COMCAST CHANGING TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES TO SPORTS PACKAGE IN OCTOBER?

I just received a notice from Comcast that they are removing TCM, Turner Classic Movies, from all current packages and moving it to the SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT PACKAGE?    What possible logic is there to that brilliant change?  TCM is widely viewed by many Comcast subscribers on their regular packages--NOT SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT PACKAGE!  I URGE COMCAST TO LEAVE TCM WHERE IT IS.  I am seriously considering cancelling my Comcast subscription over this.    Get real Comcast and leave TCM alone.  Seriously!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

This will not change unless everyone who claims they are upset about this move, of only ONE CHANNEL mind you Comcast!,  STOPS using Comcast. That is the only message companies understand. I will be cancelling once my deal with them ends two months from now.  Any provider can pull this same garbage with any channel your family watches the most, yet customers cannot choose what channels they want to get and pay for. Why?

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Comcast:   You are thieves!!    Your logic makes no sense..... again, your programming is aimed at 20-35yr old MALES who love sports....... 

Sorry I do not fit in that catagory. You have lost a customer. Thanks!

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

While speaking with an agent today about my high bill, I was informed that starting Oct.10th, Turner Classic Movies is being eliminated from my service and is now on a 'premium sports package' that costs $9.99/mo additional. I saw no advertising from Comcast about this change !   I am very upset. This is one of the few channels that I watch. I am seriously considering disconnecting my service....

My monthly bill for phone, internet and tv is over $200/mo. I am elderly - don't watch a lot of TV, don't have a cell phone and rarely use tablet or computer. I think I can put that $200 to better use. 

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

I totally agree. I am elderly and was on the phone (again) today trying to lower a $200/mo Comcast bill because I just can't afford it...... and the agent told me that effective tomorrow (10-10) TCM is now on a 'sports' tier and costs an additional $10 a month.  TCM was the only channel I faithfully watched. I was reading over my bill and the triple play package is $150.... but $52 additional for FEES, TAXES and COSTS!!!    

I am stopping my service.......    no more newspapers, no cable TV, no phone ( I guess I will have to break down and get a cell phone)..I am not adept at using a tablet...  no internet....  On my income, a deck of cards is going to be my entertainment....      

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

I just found out this news today. Like you, I am furious!!!   Not only in a 'sports' package but it costs and additiional $9.99/mo !!!    My purpose in calling Customer Service today was to try to lower my bill. I don't watch half of the channels I get but TCM was my reason for subscribing to cable..... I am elderly and this is one of the few channels I enjoy. 

Whoever was the person in charge of this ridiculous decision needs to be fired.... you just lost a loyal customer. 

@mbg71 wrote:

I just received a notice from Comcast that they are removing TCM, Turner Classic Movies, from all current packages and moving it to the SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT PACKAGE?    What possible logic is there to that brilliant change?  TCM is widely viewed by many Comcast subscribers on their regular packages--NOT SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT PACKAGE!  I URGE COMCAST TO LEAVE TCM WHERE IT IS.  I am seriously considering cancelling my Comcast subscription over this.    Get real Comcast and leave TCM alone.  Seriously!

@mbg71 wrote:

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Greed, because those that are home and can watch TCM are the most paying customers or least, but a way for them to milk more money out of us because that is all we watch!  Until we say no more increases and COMCAST YOU NOT GET ANY OF MY HARD EARNED MONEY ANY MORE, they will continue to manipulate your pocketbook. Big Monopoly the FTC can only answer to, such a wimp that lets bigger get bigger! Say bye bye to comcast and save $200.00 a month, your pocketbook will feel better!  sincerely hlj

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

LEAVE TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES AS IS!!!
DO NOT MOVE IT TO A SPORTS PACKAGE!!
A SPORTS PACKAGE??? What!!?!?!
YOU HAVE NO CLUE HOW MANY PEOPLE WATCH IT!!!

LEAVE TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES WHERE IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN!!!!!

Regular Visitor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Poor decision.  Cable is already too expensive.  The stated reason for moving TCM to the sports tier (low number of viewers) is absurd.  More sensible that the sports tier is suffering viewer decline and needs TCM for a boost.   Good-bye Comcast.  I have been stupid and lazy for being a customer for too many years.

Franklin, TN  

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I’m going to drop Comcast completely now that TCM is now more money. This is ridiculous I agree with you

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I’m a senior and enjoy watching TCM. I think this stinks. Think I am going to cancel Comcast. They keep raising their prices, too. It all about the Benjamin’s.

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

I was just in the middle of a TCM film when the screen went blank and a "NOT AUTHORIZED" notice came up.  Checking to see what happened, imagining that some sort of technical error had occurred, I found myself here, only to discover TCM has been moved to your Sports and Entertainment package. 

I have no use whatsoever for your sports package, which I suspect I am already subsidizing every time I write Comcast a check.   From a cable TV subscriber's perspectiveas opposed to that of the corporate pinheads whose decisions are largely responsible for cable television's rapidly declining number of subscribersthis move makes no sense whatsoever.   

I've had Comcast for a long time.   TCM has been one of only a few  remaining reasons why I haven't dropped Comcast cable TV.  Years back, I was getting far more value for far less money.   The change was gradual, but this move really brings the message home.  I think I may be ready to consider my alternatives.  

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I have had comcast for many, many years and this is the first time I really have a complaint.

If TCM is not being watched by many viewers then why just not leave it where it is instead of putting it in a sports package that many people dont want.  It makes absolutely no sense at all to combine it with sports.  There are many channels that are not viewed too often.  I am very dissapointed that Comcast would do this just to get more money out of people.  I will be rethinking my decision to keep comcast.

very dissapointed

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

AMEN to all of the above. The corporate greed of Comcast is just beyond belief. A few months ago our cable and internet bill went up 20 dollars a month, from $168 to $188 and all of it just in the price of our cable package, and now they take away a channel that is unique and watched and enjoyed by so many people especially seniors like myself to try and force us into paying extra for a sports channel package that a LOT of us don't want and wouldn't watch even if it was free.  Guess I'll be doing without.

And if I can do without TCM, I can do without plenty of other Comcast program packages as well. I'll be taking a good long look at our cable and internet bill and either cutting off anything I don't really need, or better yet, switching to a different cable company since AT&T and WOW both serve my area. Comcast, your greed is gonna cost you.

Next time your company goes in front of Congress to try and get favors or to ask Congress to bend the rules. I'll be contacting my Congressman to let him know exactly why I believe your company doesn't deserve any breaks. In fact I may contact him just to complain about the latest price increase! I suggest that everyone else who's angry at this latest Comcast ripoff do the same.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Right on! 👍

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

COMCAST EXPLANATION (Not buyin' it)

"Viewership of TCM is low, as over 90% of our customers watch less than two movies per month. Given this and contractual limitations on offering TCM a la carte, we decided to move TCM to the Sports Entertainment Package"

Why would you move poor performing TCM to a sports package rather than simply cut your costs and dump it entirely?

Answer:  TCM is popular. So popular in fact that you attach it to a new tier/lineup that might be lagging in viewership in an attempt at attracting and/or retaining viewership with an added enticement (TCM). Those who lost TCM from their lineup are likely to "hold their nose" because they're too busy to dump, change or otherwise research alternatives to their slowly eroding channels.

In the words of Monday Night Football:  C'MON MAN!

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here