mbg71's profile

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

Thursday, August 29th, 2019 5:00 AM

Closed

WHY IS COMCAST CHANGING TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES TO SPORTS PACKAGE IN OCTOBER?

I just received a notice from Comcast that they are removing TCM, Turner Classic Movies, from all current packages and moving it to the SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT PACKAGE?    What possible logic is there to that brilliant change?  TCM is widely viewed by many Comcast subscribers on their regular packages--NOT SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT PACKAGE!  I URGE COMCAST TO LEAVE TCM WHERE IT IS.  I am seriously considering cancelling my Comcast subscription over this.    Get real Comcast and leave TCM alone.  Seriously!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

381 Messages

5 years ago

In that locked thread you'll see this answer:

"

Hello, mbg71. Thank you for reaching out. 

Every month, Comcast pays programmers like networks, local TV station owners and others, for the ability to bring their programming to you. We regularly review our programming and sometimes make changes to ensure we're offering a wide variety of programming at the best value. We look at a variety of factors, including customer viewership and programming costs when making these decisions. Viewership of TCM is low, as over 90% of our customers watch less than two movies per month. Given this and contractual limitations on offering TCM a la carte, we decided to move TCM to the Sports Entertainment Package, which will help us manage programming costs that are passed on to our customers while continuing to make the channel available to those who want to watch it."

According to the posts I've seen here (before they get locked or removed) It appears to me that there are very many people who use this channel.

In addition, what about all those channels that nobody watches? Move those tto the "Sports Entertainment" channel and put TCM back where it was. While you're at it, put the Military channel and CMT back where they were also.

Thanks

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I agree 100%. I have been with Xfinity/Comcast for 15(+) years. Direct TV here I come!

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

In the 2018 Comcast 10-K report, I see that Comcast made net income of $11.3 BILLION. Now, the company is gouging us by moving TCM into the sports package. We don't watch sports. We don't care about the other things in this package. Putting TCM in this package is likely a monopolistic overreach that can be reversed through a petition to regulating bodies our respective states. I will be researching how to petition my regulatory body against this move, because it is nothing more than an attempt to gouge customers.

Problem is, without we customers, THERE WOULD BE NO SHAREHOLDER PROFITS. I presently $231 per month, month after month after month. This means I pay Comcast $2,772 per year. Since I first signed up with Comcast in 2002, I've paid this company over $43K. 

Now, I'm getting gouged for $9.99 extra a month for basically one channel, because I DON'T WANT SPORTS AND NEVER WATCH THEM. That is despicable. What this whole thing is - corporate beancounters are testing the market to see if the losses of people like me (because I'm disgusted with Comcast and will be actively pursuing other options) will be outweighed by the people who simply sigh and pay the extra.

I just got off the telephone with an agent (in the Philippines) who told me I can complain to Comcast corporate at corporate.comcast.com.

Because I am so disgusted with Comcast's complete disregard of its customers at the corporate level, I plan to call my US Senators and Representative as well as my state Rep and Senator about it, and I will be calling my county government to find out which agency can be petitioned to force Comcast to reverse this decision. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

I don’t recall seeing a notice about TCM moving. This morning was shocked to find I now need a subscription. Really? But yet you offer religious channels, shopping channels, news channels ad nauseum. And don’t forget the Hallmark channels. I already pay A LOT for channels I don’t watch. And now Comcast wants me to pay extra for one of the few channels I watch?

Time to cut the cable and move to YouTube TV.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I just emailed the CEO compalining about it.  It's outrageous.  Write the CEO, google, his first name is Brian.

Contributor

• 

25 Messages

5 years ago

I think you guys are full of it!! you are moving loved channels to bundled packages and or making some extra such as Cinemax. the ONLY reason I see for your moves is to extract more mony from long time customers! I am seriously thinking of dumping Comcast due to their hard handed policies to people like myself that pay over $200 a month for channels I can no longer get in my digital premiere package. Comcast, you customers are very unhappy!!!!

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Great Suggestion!  TCM needs to be bombarded with our complaints about xfinity/comcast.

Frequent Visitor

• 

18 Messages

5 years ago

not clear on how Comcast/Xfinity can change a 24 month contract that included TCM, then remove TCM and require that I subscribe to a "package" that will result in an increase over the amount for which I contracted.  Is this even legal?

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

TMC and the sports Package rediculous . Pure greed and sticking it to your customers.  Shame on Comcast.

Contributor

• 

49 Messages

5 years ago

First, I find it amusing that Comcast has labeled this thread as being SOLVED.  By the ever increasing number of pages with complaints I would clearly disagree with their view of the matter.

I admit to either not reading the fine print in my August statement about this happening on October 10th or reading it and not having it register that TCM is a (was a) channel that my Wife would often watch while eating lunch and/or making dinner.

I also find it a totally ignorant decision to place TCM within a sports package?  Who makes this type of decision?? Irregardless, we already spend way too much of our fixed income with Comcast and I have been spending hours on researching cutting the cord and ultimately finding a new ISP since my Wife began cussing at the TV on Thursday the 10th.

As a suggestion to others, one of the BEST resources I have found so far is at this website:

https://cordcuttingreport.com/cord-cutting-guide/ - they have really done their research and have links to the various resources they have looked into.

Our contract is up next March which gives me time to find the right alternatives and after 30 years of being a subscriber, I fully intend to say goodbye. The one thing that Comcast seems to forget is the old adage, "the customer is always right"!

Maybe, in a way, this is a blessing for a lot of us who are on fixed incomes because it forces us to finally look at the cord cutting alternatives that are so readily available now, so in that respect, maybe we should say Thank You to Comcast for finally getting us to take a look at alternatives!

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

UNless TCM is back in my package, it's bye-bye Comcast, hello AT&T.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Baloney!

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

here-here

@DoverPARon wrote:

First, I find it amusing that Comcast has labeled this thread as being SOLVED.  By the ever increasing number of pages with complaints I would clearly disagree with their view of the matter.

I admit to either not reading the fine print in my August statement about this happening on October 10th or reading it and not having it register that TCM is a (was a) channel that my Wife would often watch while eating lunch and/or making dinner.

I also find it a totally ignorant decision to place TCM within a sports package?  Who makes this type of decision?? Irregardless, we already spend way too much of our fixed income with Comcast and I have been spending hours on researching cutting the cord and ultimately finding a new ISP since my Wife began cussing at the TV on Thursday the 10th.

As a suggestion to others, one of the BEST resources I have found so far is at this website:

https://cordcuttingreport.com/cord-cutting-guide/ - they have really done their research and have links to the various resources they have looked into.

Our contract is up next March which gives me time to find the right alternatives and after 30 years of being a subscriber, I fully intend to say goodbye. The one thing that Comcast seems to forget is the old adage, "the customer is always right"!

Maybe, in a way, this is a blessing for a lot of us who are on fixed incomes because it forces us to finally look at the cord cutting alternatives that are so readily available now, so in that respect, maybe we should say Thank You to Comcast for finally getting us to take a look at alternatives!

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

Yep. ASAP I am cutting the cord. I've had enough.

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

????

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here