tzr916's profile

Contributor

• 

179 Messages

Thursday, June 15th, 2023 9:27 PM

Closed

No more 4k HDR DolbyVision DolbyAtmos on MAX (hbo) App

I have subscribed to HBO through Xfinity for several years, and have always used EXTERNAL devices (not xfinity equipment) to log in and stream HBO content. I was getting 4k HDR DolbyVision DolbyAtmos until HBO became "MAX", and they enacted three tiers of service:

• With Ads - $9.99/month
  • Ad-Free - $15.99/month

With Max, we're introducing a new Ultimate Ad-Free plan.

• Ultimate Ad-Free - $19.99/month
    Stream select titles in 4K UHD on 4 devices at once, up to 100 offline downloads*

Subscribe through a provider? If you subscribe through a TV, mobile, or wireless provider, your provider will let you know of any price or plan changes.

I got no such notification from xfinity.... Suddenly without notice, everyone who gets hbo through xfinity are NOT getting 4k HDR DolbyVision DolbyAtmos due to this... This is not right, especially because I just started a new one year contract with xfinity! I should at least get the Ultimate Ad-Free version for the remainder of my contract, right??

Accepted Solution

Contributor

• 

179 Messages

1 year ago

Hey, looks like someone at xfinity/hbo was paying attention because I am now getting 4k HDR DolbyVision DolbyAtmos again! Guess time will tell if this is permanent or only 6 months.

Contributor

• 

179 Messages

1 year ago

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/hbo-max Says "Select 4K UHD and 4K UHD/HDR content is available if you use the Max app" but there is no mention of the "Ultimate Ad-Free" plan.

vs

https://help.max.com/US/Answer/Detail/000002547 Says "Ultimate Ad Free" plan is required for 4K UHD with Dolby Atmos.

Hello xfinity, what's going on?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.9K Messages

1 year ago

From everything I read, 4K support was supposed to be grandfathered for 6 months. But, that may only apply to those who subscribed directly with HBO Max. I guess with 3rd parties, it's all up to the contracts and agreements. Max may be willing to eat costs on their own subscribers, but maybe the 3rd parties don't want to pay extra.

Contributor

• 

179 Messages

1 year ago

According to DM with xfinity:

I'm not seeing anything about Max Ultimate ad free being available yet. The link you have has the most up-to-date information on the Max we offer.

The same thing seems to be going on at Verizon. They also don't even list "Ultimate Ad-Free" plan. So either third parties are not allowed to offer the "Ultimate Ad-Free" plan, or they are just ignoring it (and their customers inability to have 4k HDR DolbyVision DolbyAtmos).

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here