dm4238's profile

New Poster

• 

18 Messages

Monday, September 18th, 2023 5:57 PM

Closed

MSG 2023-24

Still can't reach agreement with msg? It is beyond a travesty that our local cable company cannot provide programming for four local professional sports teams for going on three years now. What's worse is that you provide no information regarding another upcoming season which will be another lost season. Fubo aint cheap on top of your bill!

[Edited: All Caps]

1 Message

1 year ago

I guess its another year without... Extremely frustrating- I would pay extra for the channel at this point- the MSG service is annoying- need to airplay from my phone- First world problems I guess but would be way easier to just change the channel. I am not a cord cutter mainly for this reason- 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

1 year ago

Gladly trade CNN, Fox News, MSNBC and every shopping channel to be able to watch the Devils. 

New Poster

• 

18 Messages

Here Here!!!!!!!!!!!!

Official Employee

• 

2.1K Messages

Hello, @dm4238 and thread. Thank you for your feedback about being able to watch the Devils play. I am glad to submit this on your behalf! Our programming team handles what channels we are able to offer and definitely takes into account customer feedback when making these decisions. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

3 years of this - pretty unacceptable. Get it resolved, please!!!

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

I moved from Xfinity to FiOS because of this dispute. Xfinity is the far superior service, but the reality is the programming comes first. I, and I'm sure many others, would love to come back to Xfinity, and would do so within seconds of an Xfinity-MSG deal being reached.

The Knicks and Rangers are both good, which wasn't the case when the dispute began. Great time to capitalize...

New Poster

• 

18 Messages

@XfinityRay​  - Hey ​@XfinityRay  - what kind of reply was that? What does "I am glad to submit this on your behalf!" even mean? And if you submitted it, what was the PROGRAMMING reply? My guess? Nothing!!!  This is total [Edited: "Language"]!!  3 YEARS?????

(edited)

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

Our cable bill is already too high and we are paying for services we are NOT receiving!  Please end this [Edited: "Language"] dispute already and give us back our MSG channels!

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

Hello @khbirdman and thread. I am showing our agreement ended on September 30, 2021 and we no longer have the rights to carry the channels (MSG and MSG+). We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this situation has caused you, and please know we value you as a customer

Please visit xfinity.com/howitworks for more information.

I am happy to review your account and see what offers we have to help you with lowering your bill.

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us:
• Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Direct Message” icon (upper right corner of this page)
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send your message

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

New Poster

• 

18 Messages

"we no longer have the rights to carry the channels (MSG and MSG+)" - that's what this whole thread is about. GET THE RIGHTS!!! You had them and lost them. GET THEM BACK!!

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

@dm4238 I can see how this would be frustrating, especially going into a new season.  We pay programmers to bring you the entertainment you love. We’ve been able to successfully negotiate thousands of agreements with programmers without any disruption. In some cases, we are not able to reach an agreement. Our hope is, we are able to provide this programming in the future. 

https://www.xfinity.com/howitworks/

1 Message

Seems as if all of the money is being spent on bots that simply summarize your comments. Providing us with information that we already are aware of.

As mentioned above can we receive any transparent update? My bill is north of 200$ a month and I don't receive the channel I'd value the most, I will be changing services immediately once I move.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

I’m with you will Xfinity ever get MSG back to the tv lineup  even if we had to pay more it’s a disgrace that we live in such a large market and cannot watch our home teams

1 Message

1 year ago

I would gladly renew my subscription to cable if you could get this resolved. Is money the only hold up?

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

How about an update on negotiations if there are any.  Pretty pathetic you don’t let customers know if you ARE even negotiating. 

Contributor

• 

38 Messages

1 year ago

I have to pay $70+ a month to Fubo on top of what we pay Xfinity for a version of MSG i can easily watch on my TV to get the Devils. Yourt hard line with James Dolan and MSG is not saving me money it is costing me money. James Dolan and Brian Roberts should be locked in a room until the reach a deal. 

PS Let me stream SNY on my phone too.

9 Messages

@DanASBNJ​ Totally agree! This will be the third straight season. I’ve had to purchase fuboTV to watch the Rangers and the Knicks. Fubo is now up to $89 just to watch my local hockey and basketball teams. I keep the service during the length of the season so it has now cost me well over $1400 soon to be $2200 once this season ends on top of my  already expensive Xfinity programming charges. It’s a travesty!!! 
please fix the XFINITY! I’m ready to switch to FIOS as soon as it is available in my area, which I was told should be within the next three months.

9 Messages

Fubo now up to $94 per month and FiOS is on hold in my area. UGH!!!!

xfinity promo just ran out and Franchise and Regional sports fees have gone up so my monthly is up another $21.

Help Comcast! Start negotiating with MSG again!

Official Employee

• 

862 Messages

@dm4238 Our team can look into available promotions in your area to help get you a lower rate. To send a direct message, please click on the chat icon in the top-right corner of the screen, and select "Xfinity Support" to initiate a Direct Message. 
Click "Sign In" if necessary
Click the "direct messaging" icon or https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging
Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
Press Enter to send it

1 Message

1 year ago

And FUBO does not carry TNT , Which Carries some MSG and the in un- Rangered Stanley cup playoffs…both ends are at fault….Xfinity mostly for not reaching an agreement..and , MSGfor taking advantage and spreading Rangers games viewing over multiple platforms…one place where I think regulation is important…all around consumer protection…consumers are not protected here…And we all agree the fans don’t matter much. Xfinity please bring back our “in house” teams

Problem Solver

• 

764 Messages

@user_jztpup​ - what regulations and protections do you want? Nobody is going to demand that Comcast be required to carry MSG under whatever terms MSG asks; otherwise, what stops MSG from demanding (a) $20/month per household, and (b) that every level of Xfinity carry it, which means Comcast has to pay MSG $20 per month for every Xfinity subscriber, whether they want MSG network or not - and guess who ends up paying for it?

3 Messages

Here is the reality. In the large universe that is Xfinity / Comcast in the NYC / NJ / CT market, relatively no one watches the Rangers/Devils/Islanders/Knicks (this is real data which was provided by Comcast in the beginning of the dispute). You all do watch it and are in the very small minority. MSG is trying to get Xfinity to pay some amount of money for the rights to carry the MSG family of channels. In order to make the deal work, Xfinity must then pass the cost on to their subscribers. MSG also insists that their channels are a part of the base package within the Xfinity lineup which will not then allow Xfinity to only pass the costs to the folks who want to subscribe to the channels. If MSG would allow Xfinity to sell the MSG channel a la carte or as a part of a small sports package that could get the channels back. The problem with this is that the cost per month to a viewer will be so expensive you all will then complain about that. If Comcast was to only charge people who "opt-in" to MSG the cost will be well over $100 per month. At that point, just buy Hulu or MSG+. Regional sports networks are nearly dead at this point. Google it.....

3 Messages

Example of a large cable company splitting service into 2 tiers. The tier including the RSNs will obviously be more money:

On July 10, the cable TV giant Charter announced a significant change to its TV lineups, splitting its Spectrum Select service into two options: One that will include RSNs, and another, cheaper version that will not, a stark change from the old standard of all subscribers paying for RSNs, whether they watched or not.

“While viewing habits continue to shift, it’s clear that regular season professional sports programming remains extremely popular with a core base of traditional cable, satellite, and OTT customers,” said Dan Finnerty, senior VP and GM of Spectrum Networks. “That said, given these customers represent a relatively small percentage of the overall video subscriber base, and recognizing the marked increase in direct-to-consumer choices, the model for RSNs needs to evolve to reflect the realities of the current marketplace.”

(edited)

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

basically companies like MSG are more concerned about how many potential households their channel is available in opposed to how many people actually watch. So they wanted to be available everyone on a cable company it probably better for everyone. If they would let it become premium and only let the people opt in who wanted to pay extra for MSG, which would probably still be cheaper than $70+ a month for Fubo  or $29.99 for MSG plus that you cannot even stream on streaming platforms at this point and would have to cast or AirPlay from your phone or tablet to get it on the TV.

(edited)

3 Messages

Comcast paid MSG $58mm a year to carry their networks according to Barron's. That boiled down to around $100 per year, per subscriber. Comcast also produced data illustrating that only 9% of their subscribers viewed ANY programming on the MSG networks in the period measured (think it was pre-Covid, 2019).  If you do the math, the true cost to someone who would be willing to pay for MSG on Comcast is 11 x $100 = $1100 annually (to remove the burden of the MSG bill from rest of the Comcast customers who do not even watch it). Basically, if you want to watch MSG there are more cost effective ways to do it rather than through Comcast. Comcast has gotten to the point where they are no longer willing to spread the cost across their entire subscriber base, especially when noone watches the programming. I think Comcast is making a smart business decision. [Edited: "Language"] for fans but you have options if you really want to watch. MSG has overvalued the worth of their content for years, now Comcast is calling them out and MSG doesnt like it.  MSG had other options to keep their programming on Comcast (lower the price, let Comcast put it into a sports tier) but didn't choose to. Instead they started a Direct to Consumer streaming service (MSG+) which is well within their right to do as the owner of the content. As a viewer you now have choices, just make th eone that is right for you 

(edited)

1 Message

11 months ago

I am soo sick of not being able to watch the knicks and the devils on xfinity. If i had a nickle for every time i thought about canceling them, just for that reason... Id have about ten dollars! Makes me sick to my stomach!

Official Employee

• 

743 Messages

Hey there, @user_dh9iri! I completely understand the frustrations, and we can document the feedback regarding the want for MSG channel. We are always looking into our agreements and pricing to ensure we are providing the services and within a budget friendly pricing. 

9 Messages

Define “ budget friendly”

Visitor

• 

1 Message

11 months ago

It’s ridiculous, and the NHL is going to lose the casual fans like myself. I’m a Devils fan, but I’m not paying to watch games from a local team. Can’t wait to cut the cord next year ✂️

1 Message

I'm not paying either. Cutting the cord ASAP

1 Message

11 months ago

[Edited: "Inflammatory"] that we still can’t watch MSG network.  My Comcast bill is $325 a month and still can’t see the Rangers/Knicks.  It’s always [Edited: "Inflammatory"] in situations like this.  [Edited: "Language"], high paying customers like this.  Bring MSG BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!

(edited)

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

No one from Comcast asked me if I would rather save money or keep MSG network. and because of their one-sided logic, it actually forces me to pay more money to get the services in their logic are doing me a favor playing hardball for what they consider a fair price. Is MSG+, even on Roku, Apple TV or Amazon fire yet? last time I checked no from my phone or a tablet it’s extremely annoying, leaving Fubo a more viable option and DIRECTV Stream, even more money than that when especially when you get to tier where you have MSG. 

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Thank you for your feedback @user_b50pl5. Our content teams are constantly working to bring you the best and widest variety of programming possible. In some cases, certain factors such as licensing or contract agreements prevent us from carrying particular television episodes, series, or even channels. We’re always evaluating what we offer as our customer’s needs change, so this content may become available in the future. As a quick reminder, you can send us channel requests online. Your feedback helps us reevaluate the channels and programs we offer. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this situation has caused you, and please know we value you as a customer.

1 Message

9 months ago

Just saw regional sports is increasing 50% in Jan 2024.  And still no MSG Rangers & Knicks.  No one wants to pay for Philly sports.  Time to [Edited: "Language"] get an agreement done.

(edited)

2 Messages

9 months ago

I live 40 miles from Madison Square Garden and we still do not get the MSG Channel. Enough is enough. This is ridiculous! 

1 Message

9 months ago

Why can't we stream the games through ESPN+? How are they blacked out if our local and ONLY cable provider doesn't televise the games? Thats the double whammy! Fine, XFINITY you suck. But I pay for ESPN+. What the heck!!!

Problem Solver

• 

764 Messages

You can't stream the games through ESPN+ because MSG has exclusive rights within its "coverage area." Have you tried asking MSG to accept whatever deal Comcast is making for broadcast rights? I am fairly certain both sides are under the impression that they are making "a fair offer" and the problem is that "the other side is being unreasonable" - oh, but don't try asking either side just what these offers are; they don't want the amounts made public.

There is a way to watch MSG: pay $30/month for the MSG+ streaming service. Something tells me that MSG is asking for a monthly amount which is equal to $30/month for each person that would actually watch MSG; if even just 10% of the customers do, that's $3 added to everybody's monthly bill in New York, with the corresponding "Why should I pay $3 a month for a channel I don't want to watch" replies.

Ever wonder why you have to buy a bundle of channels rather than be able to pick just the ones you want? This is the perfect example - chances are that if they did this with MSG, it would cost at least $20/month.

1 Message

8 months ago

This make’s no sense at all that for almost 3 years I can’t watch MSG on Xfinity which charge me a lot of money for channels I don’t even watch! I live in a condo complex that won’t allow me to get fios, but if I could change providers I would in a minute 

9 Messages

Unfortunately,, Xfinity really doesn’t care.

Between them, raising their prices and regional sports fees and franchise fees, going up, the consumer is getting the short end of the stick.

just waiting for FiOS to come into my area and I am out. 

I contacted Xfinity twice in the last six weeks trying to lower my TV package so I could save a few dollars and they told me if I lowered my package within a short amount of time my bill would end up being more for less channels, because of the so-called promotions I have.

is à la cart now, so why not just make it a legitimate à la cart instead of a “lasso” à la cart. 
There’s actually no way out other than just canceling their service but where I live they are currently the only game in town.

They’re equipment and Internet quality are actually well above average, but their customer service and trying to speak to a human being in order to get a fair deal is the most frustrating process I ever been through all my years.

Enough said for now…

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here