Spyke562's profile

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

Wednesday, November 29th, 2023 2:20 AM

Closed

Local NHL game frustration

I find it super frustrating that there are times when I want to watch a local home game of the Flyers but I can't because it's streaming on Hulu or some other platform.  

Not only am I PAYING for cable but I also PAY the regional sports fee which is overpriced already. 

Why do I now have to pay for a streaming service to watch a local home Flyers game!?!

EDIT:  And to add to it, you pay for Hulu to watch a game and you STILL have to watch the commercials!  Are we getting punked here? lol

Arg!

Makes me want to drop cable even more.

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

192 Messages

10 months ago

@Spyke562 

How specific programming is broadcast and who is allowed to carry it is completely up to the content owner (The Flyers) and the broadcaster (Hulu). If you are concerned that certain games are only being broadcast on Hulu, you will want to contact the Flyer organization or Hulu directly, Comcast is not involved in that agreement. Additionally, whether you have Hulu with or without ads is dependent on your subscription agreement with Hulu. You will need to contact Hulu directly to upgrade your subscription to receive the ad-free service. Comcast does not control Hulu. Even if you are paying for Hulu through your Xfinity bill, Comcast simply passes the programming you pay for through Hulu to your Xfinity devices. Once you upgrade, Hulu will ensure your profile is updated to remove commercials on all devices accessing your Hulu subscription. 

I hope this helps. 

Accepted Solution

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

10 months ago

Hey there, @Spyke562 thanks for reaching out through Xfinity Forums regarding NHL coverage. Xfinity is your home for the most live sports, giving you access to the sports you love when and where you want. As an Xfinity TV customer, you can enjoy more sports your way – live in HD on your TV, streaming online, and even through Xfinity On Demand

It's important to remember, however, that sometimes sports can be subject to blackout restrictions. A blackout is when sports teams and leagues (or schools and conferences) prohibit certain games from being seen on certain channels due to ticket sales or games being carried on other channels or streaming platforms. To learn more about how blackout restrictions affect your favorite sport, please see the following link, https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/sports-blackouts. Let us know if you have any additional questions.

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

Thanks so much for the exploitations.  I was misunderstood how the blackout restrictions worked.  I am still frustrated though, just not with xfinity now ;) 

Problem Solver

• 

764 Messages

10 months ago

I think Here4Help put it best. Hulu (and, say, Amazon Prime, for football) pay quite a bit of money to the sports leagues for exclusive rights to games - and "exclusive" means exactly that. NFL Sunday Ticket will not air a game that is on Amazon Prime, and NHL Center Ice will not air a game that is on Hulu. I'm pretty sure the same applies with the NBA or Major League Baseball when there's a game on ESPN.

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Thank you for your comment @ThatDonGuy. You are correct in that we are subject to league blackout rules for all sports. I know that it can be a frustrating experience, but those decisions are made by the leagues and their contracts with all networks. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here