TerriB's profile

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

Friday, June 26th, 2020 6:00 AM

Closed

How do I fast forward or reverse with Peacock?

We have never used streaming services so Peacock is our first one. Its free so why not! I can pause programs but can't find a way to fast forward. It seems inconceivable that any feature these days would not have the capability to do that. We are watching NBC shows on Peacock that have already been aired which is wonderful because ON Demand charges for them...boo hiss on that. Is there some trick to do fast forwarding or reverse? Thanks

Problem Solver

• 

724 Messages

4 years ago

I have no problem fast forwarding/rewinding shows. There are six speeds in each direction - 2, 6, 12, 24, 48, and 96x normal.

What are you watching that won't let you fast forward/rewind? I know that some services (not just Peacock) don't let you do it with newer episodes of shows, because they want you to watch all of the ads.

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

4 years ago

@ThatDonGuy wrote:

I have no problem fast forwarding/rewinding shows. There are six speeds in each direction - 2, 6, 12, 24, 48, and 96x normal.

What are you watching that won't let you fast forward/rewind? I know that some services (not just Peacock) don't let you do it with newer episodes of shows, because they want you to watch all of the ads.

===

Watched L&Order SVU, Chicago Med and Chicago PD on Peacock. Only one season available and thats ok.   Using the FF and RW buttons does nothing. Only pause works. How are you  accessing the 6 speeds?

Problem Solver

• 

724 Messages

4 years ago

@TerriB wrote:

Watched L&Order SVU, Chicago Med and Chicago PD on Peacock. Only one season available and thats ok.   Using the FF and RW buttons does nothing. Only pause works. How are you  accessing the 6 speeds?

The Fast Forward and Rewind buttons on my remote - push once for 2x, again for 6x, again for 12x, and so on. Press Play/Pause to resume normal speed.

Pardon me for asking, but are you sure the FF and Rewind buttons don't work? The screen freezes when it is actually doing the FF/Rewind. (Also, if you go past one of the squares on the "timeline," it will show an ad once you resume normal speed.)

I can get 21 seasons of SVU; go to "Browse" at the top of the screen. (Only one of Chicago Fire, though, so I assume the same goes for PD and Med.)

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

4 years ago

@ThatDonGuy wrote:

===

Update: We were pausing first  (not sure why) and then trying to ff/rewind so we can in fact  ff/rewind the programs if we don't pause it first  but not thru the commercials....now what sense does that make? Its the commercials we want to zoom through...DUH? 

Sometimes it freezes the program while using FF and sometimes not. Having it freeze is ridiculous as you can't see 'where you are'.  HUH?

Problem Solver

• 

724 Messages

4 years ago

@TerriB wrote:

Update: We were pausing first  (not sure why) and then trying to ff/rewind so we can in fact  ff/rewind the programs if we don't pause it first  but not thru the commercials....now what sense does that make? Its the commercials we want to zoom through...DUH? 

How do you expect Comcast (owners of Peacock) to make money from a free service if it can't show ads? Trust me; there is nothing new, or limited to Comcast or Peacock, about this, although usually it is limited to newer episodes of shows. And at least there's some ability to fast forward; some services actually disable all fast forwarding just to make sure you watch the commercials.

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

4 years ago

@ThatDonGuy wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

How do you expect Comcast (owners of Peacock) to make money from a free service if it can't show ads? Trust me; there is nothing new, or limited to Comcast or Peacock, about this, although usually it is limited to newer episodes of shows. And at least there's some ability to fast forward; some services actually disable all fast forwarding just to make sure you watch the commercials.

How do I expect them to make money?  That cracked me up and I hope you are kidding.  Having been a customer for over 30  years where do I start? I will only say one thing....they raise rates and take channels and  features away mostly without notice. 

We were not watching newer episodes on Peacock and its very limited to what it offers as far as seasons. What  is the logic of  program freezing while using FF  by the way since you have no clue where you will  land? Speaking of commercials, Comcast gave us the ability to fast forward using page-up to skip ahead. Its kind of a hit or miss pain but its a workaround  for those networks who won't let us use FF. So bottom line is that is usually a way to avoid ads without just leaving the room...lol. 

First thought it was 'nice' of Comcast to give us Peacock since they own NBC but now I am not so sure it was really a 'gift'. I find it  awkward at best. Only using it because everything is on hiatus due to COVID and may never be back so we are watching our faves in  past seasons or at least as far back as Peacock will let us go.

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Did you get an answer to this? Similarly I want to tune into a sports offering, via Xfinity app Peacock, of a game already in progress. I can only select a game and join it live. No option to start from the beginning, nor an option to rewind (rewind/pause buttons don't work). Is this peculiar to Peacock when accessed through Xfinity? If I subscribe and pay, do these functions then work?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.8K Messages

4 years ago

I don't think there is any difference between the Comcast subscriber 'free' Premium and paid users. The sports limitation is almost certainly a restrction enforced by the leagues. I think they would ban recording if they could.

Contributor

• 

137 Messages

4 years ago

I just wish you could see the picture while fast forwarding/reversing. It freezes. You have to guess where to stop and that's annoying.

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

4 years ago

@Nashman12South wrote:

I just wish you could see the picture while fast forwarding/reversing. It freezes. You have to guess where to stop and that's annoying.

Its absolutely useless to even have/use FF or Reverse when you can't see the content.  What were they thinking?

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

4 years ago

@andyross wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised there are some patents and royalties involved on the various versions of FF/REW on streaming.

Peacock is a new service and already doesn't have simple functions. If it was a patent issue you would think they would resolve before launching but look who I am talking about....lol.

So many of us are still blistering over the patent issue of taking  away the recording buffer and have not heard anything about it in a couple of years. I may have to start that subject up again.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.8K Messages

4 years ago

I wouldn't be surprised there are some patents and royalties involved on the various versions of FF/REW on streaming.

Contributor

• 

49 Messages

4 years ago

I'm actually grateful for the ads on streaming shows.  Gives me a chance to go to the bathroom or get a drink.

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

4 years ago

@tito752 wrote:

I'm actually grateful for the ads on streaming shows.  Gives me a chance to go to the bathroom or get a drink.

Its not just a matter of skipping ads for me.  I just want to the program without 'fluff' and if I need a bathroom or snack....I hit pause.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here