desmo907's profile

Contributor

• 

112 Messages

Friday, May 29th, 2020 2:00 PM

Closed

HBO Now on Roku - sign in?

I have a pretty full Xfinity package (HBO, etc.).

I have another TV using a Roku stsick and downloaded HBO Now but cannot sign in.  It seems Comcast/Xfinity is not listed in thier list of cable TV companys.

I thought it was supported...

Thoughts?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

HBO Now is an ala carte option from HBO not through cable companies. Here’s a link to a good comparison. Like it says HBO Now may be obsolete because of HBO Max
https://www.highspeedinternet.com/resources/hbo-go-vs-hbo-now

Contributor

• 

112 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks.
Will I get HBO Max since I have HBO?

Contributor

• 

127 Messages

4 years ago

So let me make sure I got this straight...

If I have HBO through Comcast as part of a triple play package, I can't use my Comcast credentials to sign in to HBO Now on my Roku devices..?

I'd have to have my own separate subscription in order to sign in?

I know all this is going to be moot as soon as Comcast gets an HBO Max app on their boxes, but no telling how long that will take...

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Why not use HBO Go on your Roku. I believe because HBO now can’t be bought through Comcast, that’s why your ID won’t work

Contributor

• 

127 Messages

4 years ago

OK, I see now.

I just went to my Roku and didn't see HBO Go, just HBO Now. But I was able to load the HBO Go app (after doing a search for it), and it seems to have the same shows as HBO Now. In fact it looks exactly the same as HBO Now, same menus and everything...

All's right with the world!   🙂

Thanks CCAndrew!

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.8K Messages

4 years ago

HBO apps are confusing, and even more so under AT&T. They like to give different names to slightly different items, then even they get confused as to what does what. Just look at the confusion when AT&T TV was rolled out.

Contributor

• 

127 Messages

4 years ago

Definitely more complicated than it needs to be.

Since I'm about to sign up for a new package with HBO (my current one, without HBO, expired this month) , I guess I should go ahead and ask this question just to make absolutely sure:

Signing up for a package that includes HBO will give me access to HBO Go on my Roku devices, right?

I don't see any mention of it in the package info on-line.

===============

UPDATE:

I think I found the answer to my own question again. Found this FAQs page after doing a quick google search:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/hbo-go 

Short answer - Yes, I can access HBO GO using my Comcast login ID and password.

===============

UPDATE 2:

Signed up for the HBO package today. Went to sign up for HBO GO on my Rokus but got hung up on the part where you select your cable provider on the HBO GO activation site. I couldn't find Comcast on their list. Long story short, they're not listed as 'Comcast', but 'Xfinity' instead. Thanks again to the nice lady at Comcast tech support for getting me unstuck!

BTW, here's a link to HBO's instructions for signing up thru a Roku using your cable providers credentials:

https://help.hbogo.com/hc/en-us/articles/204870327-Signing-in-and-out-of-HBO-GO-on-Roku 

Contributor

• 

39 Messages

4 years ago

HBO Go is what you use when your HBO account is thru the cable company.

HBO Now is a stand alone app, for HBO without cable.

HBO Max is something new entirely....not sure how things will work.  I had HBO thru Hulu and it just switched to HBO Max, now I can't access any HBO content.  Hulu told me that I needed to download the HBO Max app on an approved device....neither smart tv or Roku is an approved device.  I told them thanks but I'll be cancelling.

Guess it's back to HBO with the cable package.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

HBO GO app is gone from Roku. HBO ended the HBO GO app on ALL platforms to make way for HBO Max. Anyone who subscribes thru Comcast xfinity for HBO automatically is upgraded to HBO Max. Unfortunately there is no HBO max app on Roku and doesn't look like it's coming anytime soon. As of this moment Comcast xfinity is not a participating provider on the RENAMED HBO NOW app (now just known as HBO) on both Roku and Amazon fire TV (there is a way to sideload HBO max on fire TV but because the OP pertains to Roku I won't go further). Bottom line anyone with HBO via Xfinity can't watch on Roku.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

This is absolutely possible to watch HBO Max/Go on Roku via Xfinity package, despite what others have said. You just create a free HBO Go account on the website. Then you can LINK your HBO Go account to your Xfinity account, also on the website. Then on the HBO App on roku, log in with your HBO Go credentials and it will work.

You’re welcome.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here