U

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, June 8th, 2022 11:53 PM

Closed

DVR Recording All Episodes Instead of Just New

I have the DVR set to record only new episodes of numerous TV series and, for the vast majority of them, the DVR records only new episodes. However, there are 2 TV series where the DVR records all episodes. For both TV series, I have the DVR set to record from a specific channel and save all (new) episodes. I have gone into the record options for both series numerous times and confirmed that both are set to record new episodes only.

It is getting very frustrating when I scroll through the list of scheduled recordings for the next week or two, to have to keep canceling all of the repeat episodes of the 2 shows. Also, many times when I have scrolled ahead to a week or more in the scheduled recordings and deleted a repeat episode, instead of staying where I was in the list, it will go back to the very beginning. Then, I have to scroll through numerous days of recordings to get back to where I left off.

I did see three previous posts for this/similar problem. Two of the posts are closed so I can't post/reply to them in the third one, the user apparently had the DVR to record all episodes.

Problem Solver

• 

766 Messages

2 years ago

I can think of two reasons why this would happen.

First, check the listings for the repeat episodes that have not recorded yet. Does it list an original air date? Sometimes it lists just a generic description, which means whoever got the listings doesn't know if it's new or a repeat. By default, Xfinity's DVR treats these as new, as it feels you would rather get an episode you already recorded than not get an episode that you didn't record yet.

Second, I think there's some sort of "time limit" after which it will record episodes even if they are repeats, but I am not entirely sure how that works.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@ThatDonGuy​ I totally understand what you're saying as far as how some TV series provide an air date and others provide only a generic description and how the DVR might treat the latter. However, on the only two TV shows I'm having this problem, one does not provide an air date and the other does. The DVR scheduled to record 13 episodes of the one that does have an air date and time. The 13 episodes are airing back-to-back tomorrow evening through Monday morning. When I clicked on them, all 13 episodes are showing the same air date and time - 6/23/22, 3PM. So, I went to 6/23/22, 3PM on the on-screen guide, and an episode of the show is scheduled to air at that time. But, it clearly states that it is a repeat. Oddly, the DVR did not schedule that episode to record but did schedule the 13 episodes airing tomorrow and Monday that claim to have the same air date and time. Also, there are other TV series I have set to record only new episodes of and some of them provide only a generic description and the scheduled recording date and time, but not the air time. However, they do indicate if each episode is new or a repeat.

Official Employee

• 

443 Messages

2 years ago

Hi there @user_b6e691 Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to Xfinity Support with Digital Care here on our Community Forum!  We are so glad to hear from you and want to assist in any way that we can with your DVR concern.  I wanted to check to see if you'd taken a look at the air dates per the above recommendation and if so, what you noticed there? 

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@XfinityShan

<I wanted to check to see if you'd taken a look at the air dates per the above recommendation and if so, what you noticed there?>

I did, and what I found is indicated below. But, first let me give you a little background on the issue.

One TV show that the DVR is scheduling all episodes to record is “How America Works” on the Fox Business Network. The other one is “Forbidden History” on the Science Channel.

I checked my list of scheduled recordings on the DVR earlier today (6/11/22). It is showing that 20 episodes of “How America Works” are scheduled between today and Friday, 6/24/22. Only two of these episodes are new – one on Monday, 6/13/22 at 8PM and another one Monday, 6/20/22 at 8PM. Monday at 8PM is the normal day and time for new episodes. I clicked on every one of the remaining 18 episodes. There is no “Air Date” listed for ANY of the episodes of this TV show, not even the two listed as “New,” and none of the 18 are listed as a “Repeat” when I clicked on “Series Info.” It only indicates if an episode is “New” and the date and time each episode is scheduled to record. Many of these 18 episodes are back-to-back, like from 8PM until midnight. You can’t tell me that all of these episodes are going to be new because this show airs new episodes only during prime time on Monday nights.

Now, on the other series, “Forbidden History,” the DVR scheduled 7 episodes for tomorrow (Sunday, 6/12/22), beginning times from 5PM until 11PM, and 6 episodes on Monday morning, beginning times from midnight until 5AM. So, again, you can’t tell me that all of these episodes are new. The most recent season (8) of this show ended on 5//26/22 and the normal air day and time for new episodes was on Thursdays, I believe at 10PM.

But, this show DID provide an air date. Each and every one of the 13 episodes said “Air Date, 6/23, 3PM” (on the Science Channel). So, I went to the on-screen guide and went to 6/23/22, 3PM to see if an episode of Forbidden History is scheduled to air on that date and time, and it is. It also clearly says that it is a “Repeat.” So, if I had both of these series to record only new episodes, then the DVR should not have scheduled the 13 episodes on Forbidden History that all have the same air date and time, and is listed as a Repeat.

Problem Solver

• 

393 Messages

Hello again @user_b6e691 ! Thank you so much for checking @ThatDonGuy  's awesome suggestions regarding how the air date information is displaying (or not displaying) for those two particular shows. It seems that we are seeing a similar pattern to what was theorized above, in that having no air date listed for any episodes for one program and the air dates all listed as the same date for another, is causing some confusion in the way the DVR is setting up its recording schedule, regardless of if these are tagged as 'Repeat' 'New' or neither.

As this is something stemming from the way the listings are being provided to us and displayed, we're likely going to want to send a repair ticket up for this so the problem can be brought to the correct parties to be fixed. 

Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address so we might start on this process?

To send a "Direct Message" to Xfinity Support:

Click "Sign In" if necessary

Click the "Direct Messaging" icon or https://comca.st/3EqVMu7

Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there

- As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list

- An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

Press Enter to send it

See https://comca.st/3KQF8q9 for an example.

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I have this problem, too. Sadly, I cannot go back to att uverse (with which I never had this problem) until next year. Xfinity always records repeat episodes for me, even when I have the options set to only record new ones. Such a nightmare; especially for those of us with limited time (i.e. everyone lol). I've stopped watching shows I love bc of this annoyance. Xfinity also doesn't offer the option to only record the show at certain times (which would eliminate the problem, as new episodes general air on a specific day at a specific time, right).

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@user_165466​ Thanks for your post. It's nice to know someone else shares my pain. I didn't have this problem with Verizon Fios, and I could also record shows at a specific time. I too have stopped setting series recording for many of the shows I like because of this problem.

Unfortunately, Verizon Fios is not available where I now live. At least you can go back to ATT Uverse. I live in a very small development 4 miles + off the main road from where the nearest Verizon fiber optic cable is. I doubt seriously if I will ever see Verizon Fios where I am now. I do check occasionally for its availability, but I can't see them ever running fiber optic that far for a development with only 15 houses.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I have this problem, too. Sadly, I cannot go back to att uverse (with which I never had this problem) until next year. Xfinity always records repeat episodes for me, even when I have the options set to only record new ones. Such a nightmare; especially for those of us with limited time (i.e. everyone lol). I've stopped watching shows I love bc of this annoyance. Xfinity also doesn't offer the option to only record the show at certain times (which would eliminate the problem, as new episodes general air on a specific day at a specific time, right).

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here