jillcam2969's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, November 20th, 2020 12:00 PM

Closed

Bristol County MA- no longer have WCVB!!

I was just informed that as of Dec 22nd, we will not have access to Channel 5 -WCVB and will be switched to WLNE ABC 6 in Providence.  This is absolutely crazy!!!  I have watched WCVB news for over 30 years, why in the heck would I want to watch a Providence news station??  I live in Massachusetts and want Massachusetts news!! Just because we are close to the RI border, does not make me a Rhode Islander. 

Actually, this is just the chance I have been waiting for to get off my butt and start looking at streaming options.  I am not paying over $200 a month, to have my favorite station being taken away.  Just so mad right now!!!!

Accepted Solution

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Time to look into FIOS

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

I agree, I live in Massachusetts, why would I want to watch Rhode Island news. I guess that you folks don't care about those of us pay well over $200 per month.

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Comcast keeps taking away programming, but never adds anything of value.  I'm a very long term customer.  First BEIN Sports was removed with no reduction in price.  Then Starz was removed with no reduction in price and no equivalent programming added.  Then during the pandemic, we were charged the regional sports fee for months when no live sports were available and the $4.24 courtesy adjustment was an embarrassment!  Now WCVB is being removed from the lineup.  WCVBs "Chronicle" is one of the reasons I have not switched to a streaming service.  The Providence ABC alternative is not comparable and not acceptable.

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

I live in MA.  I want to watch MA news.  This is a ridiculous decision.  I will cancel my service if WCVB is not reinstated and boot the Providence station if you like!

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Right there with you. I don’t care about what is going on in Rhode Island (nothing personal). But I live in Massachusetts, want to see Massachusetts news.

Contributor

• 

30 Messages

4 years ago

There is a way around this. It is called "rabbit ears". I already have them set up and get all of the Boston stations in Easton, with a better picture than on cable.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I have had WCVB for 30 years. I live in mansfield Mass, not RI. This is ridiculous. Comcast -wake up and know your market! This is not Fall River or another market that is used to RI stations. I’ll cancel Comcast

Contributor

• 

30 Messages

4 years ago

Unfortunately, it is not up to Comcast. It is the FCC designation of Bristol County as being part of the Providence DMA that determines what channels are carried. WCVB, WBZ and WHDH were grandfathered in Bristol County. We cannot get NBC10 Boston because it was a new station, and now WCVB because of Hearst who owns WCVB is asking too much from Comcast to carry it outside of Boston DMA. Get out the rabbit ears.

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

I agree I live in Mass. and don’t care about R.I news they never get the weather right for my area.  I have been watching channel 5 for news and weather and sports for better part of my 69 years and and now going to lose my news and weather channel.

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

I totally agree. I am irate that WCVB will be dropped. This has been my go to news channel for 20 years. I LIVE IN MASSACHUSETTS! I DO NOT WANT TO WATCH RHODE ISLAND NEWS!!!!!

Contributor

• 

30 Messages

4 years ago

Emailed the Cable Chairman from the Town of Easton to see if he can contact MA Senator Ed Markey who is on the communications committee to ask him to petition the FCC to change Bristol County to the Boston DMA so we won't lose any Boston stations and eliminate Providence channels.

Contributor

• 

32 Messages

4 years ago

I wonder what the chances are of Comcast and Hearst working out a deal to provide just the local progamming from WCVB?  This would be the same type of deal WFXT (FOX25) seems to operate under in Bristol County -- anything locally produced, like news programs, are broadcast, while all network-level programming is blacked out.  (Can't say that I've ever paid attention to how syndicated programming is handled.)  I'd begrudginly live with watching ABC programming on WLNE Providence, but losing WCVB newscasts is pretty much worst-case scenario of "which Boston channel would you hate to lose?".

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Should Comast go through dropping WCVB I will go through dropping Comast and switch to Verizon.  You have a nerve crying poor mouth becasue of increased fees when you think nothing of increasing ours.

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

@BU_Bulldog wrote:

I wonder what the chances are of Comcast and Hearst working out a deal to provide just the local progamming from WCVB?  This would be the same type of deal WFXT (FOX25) seems to operate under in Bristol County -- anything locally produced, like news programs, are broadcast, while all network-level programming is blacked out.  (Can't say that I've ever paid attention to how syndicated programming is handled.)  I'd begrudginly live with watching ABC programming on WLNE Providence, but losing WCVB newscasts is pretty much worst-case scenario of "which Boston channel would you hate to lose?".

WCVB has "significantly viewed" status across Bristol County, while WFXT doesn't, so ABC programming would not need to be blocked in Bristol County on WCVB, and the channel can be carried without any restrictions.

I'd have to imagine something is resolved, I remember there was a bit of an uproar here when the Boston HD channels were dropped from Bristol County on Comcast (and then brought back under the digital expansion), ironically WCVB was the only HD channel not removed from the lineup during that time.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here