U

6 Messages

Thursday, August 3rd, 2023 2:16 AM

Closed

Xfinity/Target Scam

I received a call today regarding a promotion to cut my bill in half for the next three years if I paid $900 upfront for 10 months of service by using target gift cards.  The caller was very convincing, and I told them I would do it but needed to see a written version of the promotion by email. I gave them 4 different email accounts and they said they sent the document to all those accounts. When I told them I still hadn’t received it, they said my internet must not be working?! They then told me that if I didn’t make the payment using an authorization code they gave me along with the gift cards by 9pm the promotion would no longer be valid and I wouldn’t receive the $150 visa gift card. They also said that I should lie to the cashier if I was asked if this was part of a promotion. This is when I decided the whole thing was very fishy. Has anyone else been approached this way?  I’m concerned because I may have revealed details when they asked for certain verifications before I actually became suspicious. 

This conversation has been merged. Please refer the main conversation:

Did I Get A Scam/Spam Xfinity Sales Call?

Accepted Solution

Problem Solver

• 

1.3K Messages

10 months ago

@user_da158b Hello, thanks for sharing what happened! Smart thinking. This link provides ways to protect yourself going forward: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/protect-yourself-phone-scams. There is also information on how to report the scam. 

Expert

• 

30.4K Messages

10 months ago

@user_da158b 

If you have gotten a call claiming to be from Comcast asking you to buy gift cards or paying upfront for six months or more in exchange for 50% off your bill the FTC is well aware of this scam.  If you get a call like this you can report it to:     https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/#/
Please help to stop the spread of this kind of fraud.
Thanks!

6 Messages

@Again​ 

yes, I have reported it to FTC.  I Didn’t know they were already aware. Received another callback (voicemail) today telling me I have until 9pm tonight to take advantage of the offer. 

Expert

• 

30.4K Messages

@user_da158b​ 

@Again​ 

yes, I have reported it to FTC.  I Didn’t know they were already aware. Received another callback (voicemail) today telling me I have until 9pm tonight to take advantage of the offer. 

I guess that won't be happening!  😉

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Same or very similar incident for me on 8/30/23.  I have documented my details in this thread as well.

Thanks for volunteering your time.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

9 months ago

Happened to me on August 30, 2023:  My guard was down  because I was in the mindset of calling Xfinity on my own accord to check on current plan and monthly rate for my address.   Incoming number ident as from Fort Worth, TX at  [Edited: "Personal Information"].  Callback number requested is [Edited: "Personal Information"].

Conditions were "Xfinity partnering with Target so that next 12 months of bill is $40, but requires you to either apply for a Target MasterCard, or (option 2) - buy a Target gift card for exactly $480, which would pay the next twelve months up front.

Not a full-on Indian accent but he identified himself as Logan.   I chose option 2.  Scary thing is that he said "can lookup your account with phone number you're calling from".   He questioned briefly why I didn't choose option 1 (to apply for a Target MasterCard - why I guess he just might've gotten more personal info out of me - imagine that).  LOL  

Subsequent condition was that I call their special billing dept. phone number and give them the code he gave me.    Did not do that, but surely enough the next day on 8/31/23 I got a 2nd call and let it go to voicemail, requesting that I call them back with the code and Target gift card number. 

I texted that number back and told them this whole incident has been reported 

I'm retaining info on text files and screen shots if anyone wants further info and looking forward to seeing the resolution already posted to this thread.

Maybe I should enlist some of those guys on YouTube for a crack-down.

Good luck and stay sharp.

9/1/23

(edited)

Expert

• 

30.4K Messages

@datacreed2​ 

If you have gotten a call claiming to be from Comcast asking you to buy gift cards or paying upfront for six months or more in exchange for 50% off your bill the FTC is well aware of this scam.  If you get a call like this you can report it to:     https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/#/
The FTC also has a great webpage on Scams.  Please check it out as well.
Thanks!

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

2 Messages

@datacreed2​ the exact same thing happened to me and I paid. When I called Comcast I asked them why didn't they warn their customers about the scam since they know all about it(according to them it was all over the news) An email or a letter in the mail warning everyone about the scam... a warning would have been helpful. since I fully complied with the scammer and paid with our credit card to get the target gf cards the credit card company will not be refunding the money. 

4 Messages

9 months ago

I got this call today (9-5-2023) they left a voice mail.  Original number called from was (Edited: PII).  Voice message had number of (Edited: PII).   I called back and was really excited to talk to the scammer.  Went to the IVR got a male agent with a slight Indian accent, got offered the same deal (50% off for two year, but pay $870 upfront in target cards ($430 and $440)  Here's the crazy thing.... I got a text (number was prolly spoofed, but it came from a comcast 6 digit text code (266278) so it landed in the text message thread of my billing summary) stating I had a $50 credit applied to my account.  I thought that odd, checked the "My account" app and sure enough, it shows a $50 credit.  He also said he turned off my auto pay.  The billing number he told me to call back to with the card information was (Edited: PII).  I also got the within 1hr and extra cash credit would be applied to the account, 2hrs a slightly lower amount, but no extra benefits if its called in tomorrow.  Told him I would do the 2hr option and to start the timer, then said our goodbyes.  It seems as if they actually had access to my account information, like logged into the billing system type of access.

I called 1800-COMCAST, long hold, no surprise.  But I also got an email from them showing the $50 "credit", but it was a payment from a bank account ending in (Edited: PII), which is not mine.  When an agent finally got on the line, yeah no.... after 54 minutes of holding, I gave up.

(Edited for PII)

(edited)

4 Messages

I suspect they made a payment to my account from a hacked bank account to make it seem like they were legit.  Im expecting this "credit" to go away after a couple of days, but it would have been nice to speak with an agent to verify.  That customer service is Comcastic!

19 Messages

9 months ago

I received a call today, and did NOT realize it was a scam. I gave these people zero information, no account number, no address, nothing. All they had was my phone number. I was requested to sign into my account so that I could verify that my billing had been correctly changed. I refused the promotion, but somehow my credit card number was changed to my cell phone number as a bank account number. I reported it to Xfinity, changed my password, and cancelled that credit card. How they got into my account without any information is a mystery to me! I hope they catch these guys!

Official Employee

• 

860 Messages

Thank you very much for reaching out to us here @user_14e45b. That is very concerning indeed, and I am glad yo did not give your information. Did you also already report that information to our security team at the https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/help/report-abuse/ site as well?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

19 Messages

@XfinityJohnG​ I did that immediately, changed my password and reported it to my credit card company. I still cannot figure out how they could get into my account without receiving information from me. There must be a Comcast security breach somewhere?

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

@Tink42 I would recommend reaching out to our Customer Security Assurance Team (CSA) to assist with investigating. They can be contacted directed at 1-888-565-4329 and their hours of operation are 8:00am - 12:00am EST, 7 days a week.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.

Expert

• 

30.4K Messages

9 months ago

Also make sure you report to the FTC:

Thanks!

19 Messages

Please let me know how are these people accessing our accounts when we are not giving them any information?

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

That is a good question, I do not have the answer for. Our CSA might have that answer for you. Were you able to get a hold of them?

19 Messages

Yes, they were no help at all and told me to wait until someone contacted me. They did not even look up my case number.

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

When was your ticket opened with them. It can take up to 72 hours to hear back from them. 

19 Messages

It hadn't been 72 hours, but this person was not interested at all in any of my questions and said I just had to wait, bottom line, I don't believe that ANY of the Xfinity accounts are secure. If people can get into them without getting any information from the account owner and without the 2 step authorization working, the Comcast billing system and the financial information stored in it is up for grabs.

4 Messages

9 months ago

I got the same call, which is concerning in that I was trying to reach Xfinity yesterday (unsuccessfully) to discuss my excessive bill and other options.  Moreover, the caller was able to access my Xfinity account, tell me what was due and when, and make a payment to it (obviously from a bogus bank account).  Clearly, there has been some breach to Xfinity and our records.  Or someone within Xfinity is alerting their co-conspirators.  

(edited)

19 Messages

The only thing I can figure out is that it is a data breech and the hacker is cross-referencing phone numbers with the breached data.. passwords, etc to access the accounts. The account doors are open and Xfinity needs to close them.

Official Employee

• 

982 Messages

@user_fe8ba4 We are sorry you have concerns, but we can assure you the account information is secure. You are always welcome to change your account password frequently to help with your account security. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

19 Messages

If hackers can access an account, update the billing information, and process a payment without ANY information from the account owner, I don't call that secure. I did change my password, but I don't think that will help.

2 Messages

9 months ago

Just responded to a voice mail for the same 50% discount from $400 to $200/month. Just had to purchase $2400 in target gift cards and call the "xfinity" billing department at the phone number they provided. Also offered a $200 visa gift card. I also asked for an email confirmation, which was taking a long time. It gave me time to find this post.  Thanks.

2 Messages

9 months ago

How did they have my address and the amount I pay on my bills ? It's so strange 

19 Messages

I dont believe Xfinity accounts are secure for the reasons you just mentioned

3 Messages

9 months ago

This happened to me just now and thankfully i was skeptical and decided to tell them i'll call back tomorrow. The crazy thing to me is that the even knew my address and account details already. I just decided to check if it was a scam after i got off the phone with them and sure enough it is.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

9 months ago

Yes husband received the same email.  The also gave me a confirmation code and and said I could get a target gift card or open an account with a target charge they did not send an email also.  I did look in my email and there was a comcast email showing they had charged me 60.00 for the program but the account number to my bank account was not given to them, but they send me a bogus account number stating my 60.00 was taken from this account which thank goodness my husband did not give him any information of our banks anything.  But I would like to know how he gave my affinity account number and phone number.  I am calling comcast to see if they got breached or hacked. 

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Hello @user_f50e21, yikes, that sounds like a pretty worrisome email, I'd be reaching out to get some answers as well. Those spam and phishing emails are the worst, but we do have a dedicated team to handle this exact thing. Our Customer Security Assurance team is amazing, thorough, experienced, and will have the resources to help you. Have you already reached out to them directly through their site? 

Expert

• 

30.4K Messages

9 months ago

Thanks!

2 Messages

8 months ago

I have received this call today.  The offer is for upfront payment of $700 for the next seven months.  The caller had spoke with a very slight accent and I also heard on the background others who spoke with a heavier accent.   What is most interesting and concerting is he has my Xfinity account information.  He was able to tell me exactly what equipment I have, my current package information details, location of service, and current phone number on the account.  This information can only be obtained from ComCast, which I suspect had their system hacked.  I have yet to receive any notification from ComCast confirming such leak.

Two things to anyone getting this call.  Don't pay upfront.  There is no such great deal; especially they want you to pay it with Target gift card.  Second is to question ComCast why your and mine account information are available to those hacker/scammers? As a customer, I think they own us that.

Expert

• 

30.4K Messages

@user_c1a5cc​ 

Follow the links above to report this, please.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

8 months ago

Happened to me yesterday. They paid off my monthly bill of $217. They said my bill would drop to $108 and said all I needed to do is get 2 Target gift cards in the amount of $650 (6 months X $108) then call a number he provided along with a code to give the “agent”. Also, as an added bonus if I paid within 2 hours I would get a $150 Visa card. I gave them virtually zero information, which makes me think they already had my username and password. After the call I started thinking and went online to find that this was a scam. Needless to say I didn’t buy any gift cards, and after 2 hours I got a call from the “Xfinity Rep” saying they hadn’t received my payment yet and asked when I planned to pay. I told him that I felt this was a scam and he wasn’t with Xfinity. He then started to get upset and said it wasn’t a scam and that he was with Xfinity. After that I said I would be calling Xfinity to check on this and he said I was dumb. I then hung up. He’s right, I am dumb for falling for this scam, but he was so smooth and it was professionally executed. I ultimately reported this to Xfinity CSA.

Official Employee

• 

998 Messages

@user_6cbd9b Thank you for sharing your experience and also for keeping yourself safe and not providing information/reporting this to CSA. 

6 Messages

@user_6cbd9b​ 

These people are professional scammers and have been doing this for months or possibly years. I just wonder why they are still doing it —unless they have been successful. I also wonder why they haven’t been caught since they have obviously been frequently reported to Xfinity and the FTC. 

19 Messages

@XfinityEva​ Please let us know what Xfinity is doing to secure our accounts. NO ONE gave out user names or passwords OR any other personal information. They were able to gain access to our accounts and the financial information they contain WITHOUT any data from the account holder.

Expert

• 

30.4K Messages

@user_6cbd9b​ 

You're not dumb at all, especially since you caught on to what was going on.  Quite a number of people are falling for this and then expect Comcast to refund them the money they spent.  Well, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is!

2 Messages

8 months ago

This just happened to me! Called 'the 1/2 price offer' back, from the Text link 2 days ago... Heard (most of) the speil, then called back this afternoon... to sus it out. When he got to the "...so buy 2 gift cards at Target for $285 each"... that was it... Told the (both sounded foreign, mid east (?) guys in front of a phone bank. ... But how is it they are able to DIVERT MY outgoing PHONE CALLS (to Xfinity @ [Edited: "Personal Information"]),  to THEIR PHONE CENTER?!?    I initially dialed back the [Edited: "Personal Information"] from the text msg 'callback' - same mideast phone bank background sounds...as when I call Xfinity listed # [Edited: "Personal Information"]...!?!?!

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here