RogerSC's profile

Contributor

• 

137 Messages

Sunday, June 16th, 2024 7:47 AM

How to change default payment method for NOW Internet, and other annoying problems?

I'm on NOW internet (until the ways to cancel it are fixed), and need to change my default payment method to the credit card that I just added. So I go into "Payments", and select "All payment methods". This brings up a window with my two payment methods, the one that I added to become the default method, and the one that is the current default (non-working). Each can be edited, so I go to try to remove the current default, so that the new card will become the default. I'm told that I can't remove the default one, that I need to add a new payment method, which I've already done, so that's broken.  The next step is that I'm offered the chance to configure the payment methods. That bring up another screen with both payment methods, both have a checkbox. There I check the one that I need to make the new default, and select "Setup". This is supposed to allow me to designate the card I added as the new default, but all I ever see there is "Something unexpected happened", and I have to leave that screen. Or if it isn't "Something unexpected happened", it's "Sorry this isn't working right now". Anyways, I've gone around that loop way too many times, nothing works. I was thoroughly amazed when I was actually able to add a second payment method, that took several tries, although I can't do squat with it.

So how are you supposed to be able to change your default payment method for NOW Internet, if both possible ways are broken? You can't get phone-in support for NOW Internet, that's not allowed since it's a lowly prepaid service. So no support when the admin tools just don't work, that's really counter-productive.

Is this going to be fixed? I tried the Xfinity Assistant chat, and it freely admits that it doesn't have payment configuration functionality at all. As far as I can see the "self-administration" tools for NOW Internet are really broken. Key information and settings boxes contain a dropped ice cream cone image instead of whatever they should have, since the information and settings that should be there are apparently unavailable. What alternatives are there to get anything done? I'm about ready to just give it up.

Tried to upgrade to "Connect More" from NOW to get out of the NOW swamp, but couldn't cancel my NOW Internet using any of the methods that are supposed to work, so that turned into a big mess, and I've had to come back to NOW. Leaving Xfinity is my next move if I can't change the default payment method, since NOW will cancel my service anyways if it can't get it's monthly autopay. Come to think of it, maybe that would be for the best.

Pretty disgusted with the whole NOW Internet thing. The internet service itself works fine, but that's about all that does. At least for me, hopefully others are having better luck with this ball of [Edited: "Language"].

Expert

• 

104.3K Messages

10 days ago

Concern moved here to the Billing help section for greater exposure to Comcast corporate employees (The Digital Care Team) for assistance. 

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

10 days ago

@RogerSC thanks for sharing your experience with us and your billing. If I were in your shoes I would be just as upset too. Please give us a call and ask to speak to our billing department for help with modification to your payment method. You can reach the billing department at 1-800-XFINITY. 

Contributor

• 

137 Messages

@XfinityPeterH​  Thanks very much for trying to help. However, when I've called that number (800-934-6489) and tried to get help, when the answering bot finds out that I'm with NOW Internet it tells me to go to the NOW Portal (xfinity.com/NOW) and hangs up. Rude, but an effective way of keeping NOW Internet users away from postpaid support. The NOW Portal is just another path into the those wonderfully broken tools where the delightful stuff I've described above happens. If I do get to anyone by accident at that number, they end up telling me that they can't do anything for me. that NOW Internet is a prepaid, self-administered service that they can't reach into. Well, that's half-true, anyways, it is prepaid. If the self-administrative tools worked, it would be great.

I'll give it a try anyways, maybe I can get through to billing, and they can fix my NOW problem. Not holding my breath though, from previous tries.

Any other ideas?

Oh, by the way, the  cancellation of the Connect More service apparently didn't work. I still have a banner across the top of the page when I login to my NOW service web page that tells me I have a $40 payment due July 2. Connect More was supposed to be cancelled today, doesn't seem to have happened. Have to spend another lovely session on the phone today to see what happened there. Xfinity has become a full time job for me.

Thanks.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

@RogerSC thank you for letting us know that you can not connect with an agent via our phone number. NOW is so new we are all learning together. Another phone number you could try would be our Prepaid department 855-757-7372.

When it comes to cancelation of service your final bill date is set to whatever date you desire, then it takes roughly 10 business days for the complete account to be finalized. You are no longer bill or charged after your final bill date and since we charge in advance your final bill can take about 30-days to come to you with your last amount due if any. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

137 Messages

10 days ago

Thanks for the prepaid support number, I think that I've been there, but don't recall since I've had so many different sessions about this. Last couple of days I tried the Comcast_Xfinity subreddit, and spent two days exchanging messages with that group. The last one I got from them was "Go to the NOW Portal and cancel your service or turn off autopay"...this after I had spent a day proving to them that path didn't work, and that was why I was there trying to get help. That was their way of dumping me off since they decided they couldn't provide any help. And, interestingly enough, there was a quick posting to my issue post on the subreddit after they dumped me back on the tender mercies of the NOW Portal about how the issue was solved. I replied to the "solved" bot with "no, it wasn't", but since then they've posted that "this problem is resolved" a couple more times. Seems to be more important to keep their resolved problems score up than to actually help. Anyways, that really wasn't helpful, just more frustration.

Now that I think about it, my issue was resolved for them, they were done. But unfortunately not for the customer, who they're there to support. Guess I need to take a more Xfinity-oriented point of view in the future :-).

So my fallback at this point is that I found an online method of deleting my Xfinity account. But I'm not sure that even that would stop NOW Internet at my house since I've prepaid for a month's service at my address. So I haven't done that one yet. But if I did that, I'd hope that all service to my address would be stopped, and I could start over with just the Connect More service.

Wondering if that would work, or if I'd just have to wait out the month of NOW Internet that I've paid for before it finally drops me as a deadbeat :-)? I do have backup internet for a month here while I'm trying to get my Xfinity services to actually look reasonable.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

953 Messages

Thank you for the update @RogerSC. The information I am finding on the Now internet service does state that: NOW Internet is a prepaid service. Once you activate your NOW Internet service, refunds and prorations for service are not available. If you have not yet activated your service, you may be eligible for a refund. There is a link at the https://www.xfinity.com/policies site that does explain that policy. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

• 

137 Messages

Thanks, but been down that road, all activated and working. Don't care about a refund, but would love to be able to cancel my NOW Internet service. My web admin and the app do not have the capability to cancel my service. When I go down that road, it tells me "turn off autopay to cancel your service", and the box where the actual setting to cancel should be has the image of a dropped ice cream cone. I have no way to turn off autopay, as well, so all roads lead to frustration here.

Still wondering if deleting my Xfinity account would accomplish wiping out NOW Internet? Or would it continue at my address until the prepaid month is over? I guess the only one that can answer that is xfinity.com/NOW Portal, and that one's decided not to help me :-).

NOW Internet wins the award as the worst service that I've ever used, and I've been around a while.

Contributor

• 

137 Messages

9 days ago

Okay, I've invalidated my NOW Internet service "default autopay payment method". So when June 30, 2024 rolls around, autopay won't work. At that point my NOW service should self-destruct, and I'll be out from under this incredible mess. Then I can switch to a regular Xfinity internet service, one that actually has support. If everyone on NOW Internet is experiencing what I'm experiencing I won't be the only one doing this. If it's only me, well that's just the way it goes.

At this point, all I can say is that Xfinity should be ashamed of themselves for throwing such a buggy "self-administered" service out to customers that can't be self-administered and is without support.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

@RogerSC, I found an FAQ statement. I paused my NOW Internet service by turning off autopay. Should I return my NOW Internet Gateway?

No, you don’t need to return your equipment. Please note, if you paused your account, you can re-start your service within 180 days. If you don’t re-start your service within that time, your service will be canceled and you’ll no longer be able to use your equipment. We encourage you to recycle the NOW Internet Gateway

This support article https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/now-portal-overview also covers the process to cancel your Now Internet service. I would report any issues you are getting from the portal. We're happy to assist with this until you have it removed. 

Contributor

• 

137 Messages

@XfinityThomasC​ I really appreciate your desire to help, if you can. I haven't come across anyone yet that actually can help. I'm always directed back to the NOW Portal (xfinity.com/NOW), which is dysfunctional for me. The main admin dysfunctions that I see from the NOW Portal, my Xfinity website, and the app are:

1. Can't "pause or cancel" my NOW service. When I go to the page where this is supposed to happen, I see the image of a dropped ice cream cone, with the message "Check back soon. This information is unavailable at the moment, or it didn't load as expected". WIth "Turn off autopay to stop service or cancel your service entirely." message on the top of the box with the ice cream cone. Only every time I check back, without exception, I get that error box, and message about autopay. I can't turn off autopay, no option for that, so that's a dead end everywhere.

2. Can't change my "default autopay" payment method. I can barely add another card, takes a few tries to get that done, let alone designate that added card as my "default autopay" payment method. I always get a "This isn't working now", or "Something unexpected happened" message that means that I have to start over. If I don't remove cookies and flush my internet cache every time that I try to do something with the web site or the NOW Portal, things end a lot earlier with a "Something unexpected happened" or "This isn't working now" error.

3. No option to turn off autopay, probably in one of the ice cream cone boxes. That's why I told my credit card company that I lost my credit card. Now I'm also waiting for a new credit card :-).

Not being able to do the above makes the rest irrelevant, since I have no control over this service that matters. By the way, these images of dropped ice cream cones occur here and there while I'm using the admin tools, settings and information are missing as a result.

I even tried a different browser last night, finally. Should have done that earlier, but I've already used FIrefox a lot (I'm a Firefox user), and Safari on my phone and iPad. Tried MS Edge because it's a Chromium-based browser, and the same behavior occurred there. Totally messed up.

I am thoroughly done with NOW Internet at this point. I've spent several days on this, have had calls and exchanged messages and chatted on the app with Xfinity, and the bottom line from Xfinity is always, "go to the NOW Portal and cancel your service." That mantra always ends my interactions, as though I could do that.  That's why I went through all the same stuff with them on the phone over and over, to get this fixed or cancel my service. I'm guessing that saying that allows them to mark my problem as "resolved" for their performance evaluation score card of resolved customer issues, but that's a whole other thing. You might imagine how frustrating that would be for me, the customer.

Anyways, I'd like to say that I might even stay with NOW Internet if I could administer it, the internet service is adequate for our needs. But with what I see in the "self-admin tools", and the lack of support for those dysfunctional tools, I just can't stand it. I need to get to an Xfinity service where those nice support people can actually help me. If the NOW admin tools actually worked for me, I could make the choice of staying with the NOW Internet service or not. As it stands, I'm just going to tolerate this mess until I can get out from under.

Any help that would move this situation to being useful would be gratefully accepted :-). This frustrating process has not been good for my peace of mind, as you can imagine.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

RogerSC, Thank you so much for your time spent on this. As a customer myself, I understand the frustration that this has caused you. I am sorry to learn about this experience. We will do everything within our power to rectify this. Let's get this fixed. To get started, I would like to pull up the account to take a look at what's going on. Please send us a direct message with your first/last name and full address. You can start by clicking the "direct message" icon on the upper right page of the forum page. Once you click on that, input our shared handle "Xfinity Support" to send us a direct message. If you're signed in to your forums profile and because you have already posted to the public page, you should have the option to do so.

Contributor

• 

137 Messages

I've just DM'd Xfinity Support, ready to go here.

Contributor

• 

137 Messages

9 days ago

Just to wrap this up:

1. An escalation has been filed to the NOW team, didn't think that there was a NOW team. Not holding my breath on that one, but they might eventually fix these tools. Probably getting screwed up by the data/content in my account record, but nothing that I can do about that.

2. At the end of the month, my NOW Internet service should end when autopay fails.

Seems like "self-admin" tools should also be "self-repairing", since there's no human support. If a user gets too many dropped ice cream cones or other "come back later" error messages, the service should do what it has to do to run correctly again. That's a joke, unfortunately. Seems do-able though, a little defensive programming would go a long way to helping customers like me have a functioning product.

Hoping for the best here. Hope springs eternal.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

137 Messages

8 days ago

Well, this is disturbing...just read that my NOW Internet account will be paused if my autopay method doesn't work. That means I can't get rid it until Xfinity gets tired of having my service paused...like 6 months or so, or whatever. Makes as much sense as any of this. Since I'm sure that I won't be able to restart it, no internet for 6 months isn't going to work for me :-).

I guess I'm going to have to give up on Xfinity. Can't admin or cancel my NOW service, so I can't move to a better service with Xfinity.

Guess I'm done here, nothing I can do to change things at all. This has been a nightmare, my favorite phrase is now "this isn't the experience that we want Xfinity customers to have". Right up there with "go to the NOW Portal and cancel your service, stupid".

Too bad, the internet works just fine. But the best I can do is go into a pause when my autopay method fails, since I can't cancel it or change my autopay method.

Worst ever. Really sorry that I got involved with NOW Internet and Xfinity. What a waste of time.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

137 Messages

8 days ago

One last thing, I took one last shot at getting things fixed with NOW Internet using the chat associated with it. Spent 2.5 hours on chat with them, went through 4 individual support people, and by the time that they were done, I could no longer get into my active account at all. At this point, I don't have a usable Xfinity account at all.

What a waste.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here