bamd94's profile

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, April 17th, 2021 1:55 AM

Closed

Need an app to control elderly parents TV

My 90 yr old mother (who lives in assisted living facility) cannot use the remote to get the programs she wants to watch.  It's too complicated for her.  I can't even get her to correctly use the voice activation feature.  I tried downloading the xfinity remote control app, but it won't work even though her account is linked to my xfinity account.  She loves to watch tv, but it's useless unless I can change the channel for her.  Any ideas?  Does product development read these posts?  I would think this would help every person with an elderly parent----we're talking MILLIONS of people!

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

4 years ago

Hello, @bamd94. We are glad to help and understand there are different needs for some of our customers to watch TV. I have an 85-year-old neighbor and I got her a large button remote. It comes with fewer button options, is backlit, and was easier for her to use and understand. Please send us a private message with your first and last name. To send our team a private message, make sure you are signed into the forums then click the chat icon at the top right of the screen (it looks like a notepad). Type or choose the handle "Xfinity Support".

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

Thank you Rayana for your quick reply.  I am willing to try the remote with larger buttons to see if that helps.  What I really want is to be able to remotely control her tv.  She wants to watch certain programs on Peacock and through her dvr because some programs she likes are not on during the time she wants to watch tv.  When she lived with me, I could set this up for her and it would continue to play episodes of her favorite programs without her having to touch anything.  I haven't seen this remote, but I have doubts she'll be able to operate her dvr with it.  She has dementia and I'm very lucky that she can still dial my phone number on her phone when she needs help.   Can this request be sent to your new product/app department?  It would help so many people with elderly parents get some enjoyment out of their cable service.  Otherwise I don't think it makes sense to continue to pay for service she can't use on her own.  She pays over $160 month.

Thank so much for listening.

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

You're welcome! We are here for your family and are glad to submit feedback on your behalf. We work for our corporate team and have the contacts to all the right places. :) 

The large button remote can help if they are not able to see what buttons to press but I agree would not help much if she is struggling to remember what to push in the first place. My mom is starting into that. She is taking a long time to respond and finishes things with, well you know, a lot of the time, instead of describing fully what she is saying. 

I feel the voice controls are the best option for her but understand the issues you have had getting that set up and working easily. Have you spoken with our Accessibility department? I feel with her unique needs that they would best be able to help by putting together equipment and services that will work for her and that you can have some control over when you are not with her.

I am seeing some voice controls that are always on so she could possibly just say change to channel 4, view DVR, or play Columbo on Peacock without pressing a button. It looks like that comes on the web interface for the remotes which you could also get control of by using the login associated with her account. The voice control can be shut off if there are times you don't want it listening. If you also want to try out the large button remote they can get one to her by shipping or by setting up a free visit. This is the link for our Accessibility department, the contact information is at the bottom, https://comca.st/3gly3S2.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I need this too.  Did you get any help.

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

@user_126cd9

You first have to log onto their account and then you can try using this ... https://accrem.apps.cloud.comcast.net/remote

Good Luck! 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

As  bamd94 originally implied, there are many customers of xfinity who also have elderly parents who can not manage their tv, I looked at the remote, and there are 35 possible buttons that could be pressed, with maybe 5-6 that are grayed out.  This is not going to work for many if not most elderly, it looks to be more appropriate for visually impaired customers.  Xfinity needs to make either a simple software or box that only has the channels available that the subscribe to, with the ability to block streaming and input change. Please all mom mom wants a a clicker to change her channels, turn tv on and of, and adjust volume.  I don't think that is too much to ask.  

Expert

• 

30.9K Messages

@user_68a3f0 Have you tried getting her a simple universal remote for her tv?

Flipper Big Button TV Remote For Elderly

Universal Remotes for the Elderly

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Visitor

• 

1 Message

This is a VERY common problem that my daughter often fusses about because of her elderly patients. I can see in my future this can start to be a problem as my husband is somewhat older than me, but I don't want to bother my children with it yet. Please keep up the good suggestions. Thank you . 

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

YUP... we have this same problem.  Most of the time she just sits there staring at the guide and has no idea how to actually watch something.  Ready to cancel it all and get rabbit ears!!!   We need a basic tv channels and volume up and down.  NO ONE is listening. 

Expert

• 

30.9K Messages

@Deebles62 What is it you want for her?  I posted two URL's for simple remotes for the elderly at Amazon.  Or, depending on her system, what about a voice remote?

Does she live with you?  If so, find out what shows she would like to watch and then set reminders during the day and then in the evening for when they come on.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here