Thanks for your response, but simply pausing the device doesn't answer my question.
As I run into issues like this with Xfinity, more and more I see that you folks are really good at not answering questions or even admitting you don't have an answer...
... View more
I recently Upgraded to the new xFi/XB6 modem/router and I have used the xFi android app to assign informative names to my WiFi devices. All except one device named 'TexasIns-F802'.
I have no idea what this device might be. The xFi app says the device is connected. I understand that the 'F802' is the tail-end of the MAC address, but I have no idea about a 'TexasIns' device. I do not have any Texas Instruments products in my home. I used to have a Texas Instruments calculator back in school but that was over 40 years ago.
I have attached a screenshot of the device's details. I am hoping to find an explanation of the mystery device before I just delete it. I am usually on the bleeding-edge when it comes to technology, but when it gets my head spinning like this one has, it make me wonder what I've missed.
Has anyone else seen this mystery issue?
... View more
I recently upgraded my internet service to 400Mbps. This involved setting up one of your new XB6 Modem/Routers and it's WiFi.
I have some questions about managing my network and it's devices using the XFI Admin functionality (accessed by visiting IP address 10.0.0.1). I have been a Software Evaluation Engineer for 30+ years so please don't think bad of me for my offer of comments. They are offered in the spirit of improving the XFI/XB6 experience.
Questions: 1) Where is the XB6 (Wireless Gateway model CGM4140COM) User Guide? I have not been able to find any documentation on your web site. It makes it tough to manage the Modem/Router without documentation. There are links for 'Wireless Gateway 1', 'Wireless Gateway 2' and 'Wireless Gateway 3' but none of them provide information on the XB6.
2) Why can't Host Names be edited for my connected devices? When I click the 'EDIT' button all I can do is enter or edit a comment. This functionality is a bit helpful, but even after you add a device descriptive comment, you still have click the device's link in the 'Connected Devices' list to see it.
3) The only way I see to edit Host Names is to add or replace Devices using the 'Add device with Reserved IP' button but there is no associated documentation or guidelines. I have noticed that when I send my devices page to the printer the device links are all expanded. THANK YOU THIS IS HELPFUL!!!
4) Another Host Name issue is that their enumerations can change on their own. Why do they change? For example, I have a TP-LINK RS200 WiFi Range Extender. It's Host Name is listed as 'RS200'. If I remove the device from the network and then add it back, it's Host Name is now 'RS200-3'. Plus, I actually have two TP-LINK RS200 WiFi Range Extenders in use which makes this even more chaotic.
5) Some devices have a Host Name that match the device's MAC Address. Why don't these devices have Host Names? Why can't I assign them host names? I have several devices that use this naming convention and it makes it difficult to manage all my devices because MAC addresses are not very descriptive.
6) Another Host Name issue is that there are several devices on my network that are named 'amazon-<MAC Address>-<enumeration>' which correlate to several Amazon Echo and Echo Dot devices in my home. The enumeration is included in some Host Names but not all Host Names. Plus, given the use of MAC addresses here, which seem to be unique across all of my devices, the enumeration seems a bit redundant (at least to this XFI Rookie).
7) Device IP Addresses; The only way I can assign a device a host name that makes sense to me is to add a device using an assigned IP address. I have done some experiments here, but if I add a device that uses an IP address that is in use, the new device get transported to the 'Offline Devices' list instead of the 'Connected Devices' list. No mention of the IP address issue at all.
8) There is a 'Connected Devices' list along with an 'Offline Devices' list. There isn't any way to 'Edit' any of the devices that are offline. Plus, they only have a deletion button and when you click the button, the device doesn't actually get deleted, it just moves to a 'Managed Devices' list on the 'Parental Control' page. Parental control? This is really confusing.
9) WiFi; a) I was told by the person who was helping me upgrade to 400Mbps (from 150Mbps) service that the Wifi speed (which is why I upgraded to the XB6 in the first place) would be faster. It isn't faster at all. This is a really big deal to me because it makes me feel like I was lied to or hoodwinked; b) Download Speeds change throughout the day which when slow (sometimes SLOWER than the current upload speed) make it painful to try to do work using my Android Phone and/or Tablet; Download speeds range from around 4Mbps up to maybe 35Mbps which is dosappointing when compared to the 484Mbps speed I get on my Win10 PC which is directly plugged in to the XB6. This issue is a killer. I upgraded my service for faster speeds, not the ho-hum speeds I'm seeing.
... View more
Is there any way to remove the added channels (1000-1999) from my favorites list?
It is bad enough being forced to use the channel guide (because the channel up/down control doesn't use favorites) without adding unwanted extra channels to the mix.
... View more