@mirekti wrote: This is horrible, first thing I’ll do when my contract is up is to switch to AT&T. I was also told I would be able to get the service. In fact, I am paying the service fee for TV, and not using it at all as Comcast cannot get it available for Sony users. I’ll actually check the legal way to get out of the contract earlier due to this , had waited long enough.
sony is not supported. any modern roku device will work.
Well, Roku is not the final answer, either. Just to try it, I bought a brand new Roku Ultra: it has a nice interface and indeed Xfinity on-demand or whatever it's called app does work. However, other things don't work or don't work well:
1. The Roku sometimes just turns my TV on... very weird. I guess I could troubleshoot... maybe even try multiple Rokus... but again, this is all because Comcast won't work on an app for Sony. Now, I'm doing "work about work" and down the rabbit hole. smh
2. The Xfinity app itself seems to be lower resolution quality - the Roku automatically recognizes my TV as a 4K. Maybe the Comcast app is just a lower quality version altogether? Idk
3. The same apps that work flawlessly on the Sony sputter, don't load, or have lower quality video... so, I cannot put all of my eggs in the Roku basket- I have to switch to the Sony to view the other apps. one example: DC Universe streaming app just won't load any videos-- it logins it, shows the video library but nothing beyond that... Not a biggee for me -- I have a programmable remote, so it's just two clicks or so to switch over from Roku to Sony.
4. Audio/video sync between Roku and soundbar
5. Having another device connect in is inherently a potential problem. Anyway, this one is just theoretical.
Anyway, a Roku -- for me at least... is not the answer
... View more
I can understand the frustration. If Comcast had a different history/legacy then I would give them the benefit of the doubt, but knowing they don't allow HBO Go to work for their customers who have HBO-- and given how they have data caps for internet usage: charging extra for unlimited access. And now this-- oh well, what can you do: Sit and wait Cancel Neither of those solve my problem since I'm under a contract
... View more
I did a search on this topic, and found at least one Comcast representative who speculated the end of last year for the Xfinity Stream App on Sony. I was in a Comcast Store in San Mateo, Ca and the representative there said he'd heard some news was coming out in the first week of January 2020.
Still nothing... unless I'm missing something. How come Comcast doesn't have a release schedule? Don't they have software engineering teams, who operate on sprints with deadlines? I cannot imagine this is a difficult app to code since it already exists for LG and Samsung-- and ultimately it's on the Android O/S.
I guess the frustration is this: I've seen Comcast lock down their ecosystem:
No HBO Go
No on-demand for Tivo
No streaming app for Sony
Comcast/Xfinity has a reputation for procedurally controlling things vs letting the customer decide and access content in multiple ways...
Now, these delays. There were posts about a Sony streaming app since 2018. It's 2020 now! Wow.
One last thought on Comcast's control:
I moved from Philly (Comcast's HQ) and now in Cali-- and in California there are
Enforced Internet data caps (not so in Philly);
Less stations to choose from ... but for the same / higher price than Philly.
It's like Comcast knows it cannot have a lot of bad press in the city (Philly) they're headquartered in because of the tax breaks they received, but everywhere else it's a "lesss than service". Maybe, that's being too cynical or giving too much credit to the Xfinity braintrust. Idk.
It makes me wonder, though... didn't customers complain about cable service and pricing so much that it gave way to Tivo, cable-cutters, etc. and cable companies responded with better UI, better customer support, etc. but as soon as they can return to promises without committments, less than service, controlling how the customer accesses content they will...
I wish I could apologize for my diatribe... but I wrote it, so I must have meant it.
Anyway, back to the topic-- any update that will be reasonably met for a Xfinity Stream App for Sony Smart TVs? I paid a lot of money for Xfinity and Sony so I'd like to use both, together as I was promised was possible.
... View more