My device is a Samsung S8 (SM-G950U), with all updates applied. I am running the latest version of Outlook (4.1.37) available from the Google Play store.
If you are seeing invalid authentication attempts, that's interesting. Do you have any visibility to what device (MAC address maybe, or OS) those attempts are coming from. I've been trying multiple devices, and I also reset my password at one point. I'm not sure why Outlook would corrupt a userid/password only for Comcast accounts, or why re-entering the information would not work (and takes a very long time to respond). Yet, several hours later it does work (and responds in a reasonable amount of time). Usually, when it works, it is after I switch networks (see more discussion below) - for example going from work to home, or home to work.
Sometimes, when we see 'abberant' behavior like this, it is caused by a server that needs attention. A database (like my email) will usually have many servers sitting in front of it (for load balancing, regional performance, and scaling) and the 'luck of the draw' can cause these kinds of abberant symptoms. Or put another way, the address imap.comcast.net is directed to one of many servers in a probably "random" way. Replicated databases can also cause similar issues.
At the moment, everything is working because I was able to (again) enter the exact same credentials and parameters and it just worked. To the person who isn't having such luck, try moving to a different wi-fi network, or connect via your wireless service. (This is usually how I get my email reconnected). If it's a specific Comcast server, doing this will often force you to a different server since many network appliances use a hash based on where you are coming from to assign you to a server.
... View more
I am unable to consistently connect to Comcast email from Android Outlook app. This app has been working fine until recently. About a week ago, I received an error that I needed to re-enter my password. I did that, but it didn't help. I deleted the account from the app and tried to re-add it. That failed. However, about 12 hours later, I tried again and it worked! Then two days later the same thing happened. Today, yet again, it has stopped working. Here are some relevant facts,
- I am only having this issue with my Comcast email accounts.
- Outlook connecting to my Comcast accounts is working fine on other (non-Android) devices.
- Yes, I know my Comcast account password!
- I deleted the account from the Outlook app, cleared the app cache, rebooted the phone, but it still won't add the account (login errror).
- It seems that after 12-24 hours (based on previous experience) it will allow me to add the account; and that after 1-3 days it will stop working again.
- I have more than one Comcast email account set up in my Outlook app. Currently, one is working, one is not. Which one is not working varies.
- I am using IMAP. Yes, the settings are correct!
- I am an IT professional and this isn't (shouldn't) be rocket science. Yet, here I am.
- No, I am not going to wipe my phone and start from scratch. Every other email provider is working fine, this is restricted to Comcast only.
- I had a similar problem with Comcast accounts about a year ago, but it went away.
... View more