Community Forum

xb7 xFi blocking access on profiles when a downtime schedule created, even though it shouldn't be

arkkuss
New Poster

Re: Parental controls not working again

We have the same issue.  In our case it happens 5 hours before it is scheduled.  I have to remove the schedule for the day for it to work again during allowed hours.

dmcp89
Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfi downtime stopped working

I think it's five hours off. The past two nights it shut off at 8:00pm instead of 1:00am. Today it was set to turn off at 10:15pm (school the next day, so earlier bedtime) and instead if turned off at 5:15pm.

@MikeHLS by any chance did you have your downtime scheduled to start at 10:00pm? Is it triggering 5 hours early for you too?

richn1964
New Poster

Re: Downtime not working right in xfinity app

I first noticed a problem the evening of Feb 12.  Devices that were supposed to start downtime at 1:00 AM CST were losing internet access at 7:00 PM CST.  I just did a test with a device assigned to a Test profile, I set downtime to begin at 11:00 PM CST and tested device access at 5:08 PM CST. Internet access to device was stopped. When I changed downtime to begin at 11:30 PM, the device had internet again.  So the downtime settings seem to be 6 hours off in my time zone.

MikeHLS
Regular Visitor

It was set for 10:30 the first two times so I guess an incorrect time zone would not be the issue. I logged out of the app earlier today and recreated the profile. This time the internet cutoff at around 2:00 with the downtime set to start at 10:30.
MikeHLS
Regular Visitor

I just tried that and no luck. I cleared the cache, logged out and restarted. As soon as I enter a downtime the internet connection is gone. I even deleted the app and downloaded it again and it still shuts down internet access as soon as I assign a device to the profile. This appears to be widespread since Friday according to the reviews in the Google Play Store.
HoltFam
New Poster

This exact thing is happening to us too. Do you know of a solution yet.?Many thanks.
legalalien
Regular Visitor

Same issue here. The gateway seems to be using UTC to actually pause devices, not the time zone we are in (Central).

There is a couple of threads on this issue already.
JeffS43
New Poster

Xfinity pausing devices outside of schedule.

My Xfinity app is pausing devices outside of there designated pause times. If I delete the schedule or reassign them to profiles without a set downtime they are able to connect. The app does not indicate that the devices are paused, the devices show an active connection, but are unable to connect to any websites or apps.
Hmilne
New Poster

Re: xb7 xFi blocking access on profiles when a downtime schedule created, even though it shouldn't b

Same thing happening to me. For the money paid this seems unacceptable.
Edjanderson42
New Poster

Re: Wifi downtime schedule stopped working

I have the same problem with having a schedule. Started on 2/12. Devices with a schedule can not get internet access hours before downtime schedule starts. I.e. downtime schedule starts at 10 but devices lose internet at 3 pm
dvlassopoulos
Frequent Visitor

Fix this Comcast now. You are usurping parental oversight!
DanielG1
Frequent Visitor

Re: xb7 xFi blocking access on profiles when a downtime schedule created, even though it shouldn't b

I'm having the same issue. Glad to know it's not just me. Hopefully, we'll get a fix soon.
lightstorm22
Regular Contributor

Re: Wifi downtime schedule stopped working

I'm having the same problem. Maybe started in the last week or so. Been trying to work with Twitter support on it, but I think I just figured it out.

My guess is the app and/or gateway are now mistakenly using UTC time instead of the user's timezone. As a test, at 9:27 PM EST tonight I set the downtime to be at 2:30 AM in the app. It worked for 3 minutes and then dead.

Maybe some others can try this out. I currently have the downtime settings using UTC time as a potential workaround. Not sure how the app will react to Daylight Saving on Mar 14 if it's not fixed by then. UTC doesn't change, so the app should continue to behave the same, but we'll see.

Hopefully a Comcast rep here can get it escalated. It's not a one user issue. I am on the latest version of the Android app. It updated yesterday, plus I uninstalled and reinstalled tonight.

P.S. If you try it out and your start time falls on the early morning of the next day, make sure you choose that day in the app, if that makes sense. For example, my downtime for Sunday night in UTC is really Monday morning.
macdanife01
Frequent Visitor

Same issue here, and indeed it seems to align with something that happened on 2/11-2/12.  We live in the Mountain time zone and downtime is off by exactly 6 hours.  Had downtime scheduled to start at 12am, but it reality it started at 6pm.  My XB7 is running software version "TG4482PC2_4.4p19s2_PROD_sey" which apparently was released a couple weeks ago, but I'm guessing was actually installed on my modem early Friday (2/12) morning.

Denisedavison97
New Poster

No solution yet. I had an Xfinity employee contact me so I responded but I haven’t heard back yet. I will keep everyone updated if they have a solution.
Jespochav1
Regular Visitor

Thank goodness it isn't just us having this issue. I thought I was going crazy and my kids were upset that I was just randomly turning off their internet. I have done just about everything under the sun to try to get correct scheduling going but it's been fruitless. It really does feel like it might be working off an incorrect time zone or something. Comcast needs to fix this ASAP. Why advertise these options when they don't work correctly?!

Ceciliagreen201
New Poster

I am having the exact same issue. 

We had to delete downtime to make my son's devices work.  Can you please get a fix so we can secure our children's profiles?

Thanks in advance.

KarolSnook_aol
Regular Visitor

I'm having the same problem. My downtime is currently acting as if I am in Greenwich Mean Time rather than Pacific Standard Time, which it should be. I want my downtime to be 1:00 am to 6:00 am, but I set it to 9:00 am to 3:00 pm which I'm hoping will work. When my internet was blocked starting at 5:00 pm yesterday and today, my husband's Xfinity app did not show my profile as being paused. The only way to get my devices to have internet back on was to delete my downtime or reassign my devices to a different profile that did not have a downtime. I noticed that my downtime did not come on at 1:00 am 2/13/21 when it should have, but it did come on at 5:00 pm both yesterday 12/13 and today 12/14/21. My devices are still displaying Pacific Time, but the downtime is acting like UTC.

I tried clicking on "ComcastAbbie" but I saw no way to send a message to you.

ComcastPeterH
Official Employee

Hello @KarolSnook_aol and thank you for reaching out to us with your concerns over the xFi settings and for letting us know that you tried to click on "ComcastAbbie" but it would not allow you to send us a message. Having any issues with your xFi settings and not being able to send us a message would be frustrating and never something we want for you to experience. Here is a link for you to try instead of clicking on our name.

https://comca.st/3qmST5z

Please include your full name along with your address in this message for help. Thank you for your patience and understanding. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
ComcastAbbie
Official Employee

As a parent myself who has used this feature for years, I understand how important it is for this feature to work properly. The steps that have seemed to help resolve the issue are:

delete current settings in app, delete app cache, reset device, log into app once device reset completes and set up again.

If you have already tried these steps with no luck, can you please send me a Private Message including your first and last name as it appears on the account? To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAbbie” and click “Send a message".

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
jeffreyhof
New Poster

Same issue!  So frustrating. Parental controls worked amazing for 18 months. I have 3 boys each with their own profile setup to each boys devices. I turnoff their wifi at dinner time and at bedtime. Suddenly in the middle of their school day on Feb 12 2021 their wifi turns off yet their profile does not show Paused and their devices show as  "Connected". My wife and I had perfect wifi. At first, I had no idea what was going on but the only way to fix was to quickly delete their three  profiles. I have deleted and rebuilt all profiles several times and it continues to happen at random times on all profiles.  I deted the Xfinity App and reinstalled the App... didnt help.  I feel like xfinity updated something (router firmware, xfi app, something) and broke Parental Control feature. I will keep calling. 

Phil02135
Frequent Visitor

Since Thursday 2/11/2021 night, someone figure out the time is off, EST off by five hours. I have received reply’s that Comcast is working on this problem.
BIG_J54
Frequent Visitor

ComcastAbbie, by resetting device do you mean restarting the gateway? Also, in this thread of several people having this issue it seems like this only worked for one person. Is it Comcast's position that this is some sort of coincidence? When this many people have the exact same issue I would think it has to be an issue with the application, which, by the way, I tried using the website as well as the mobile app to no avail. Is anybody at Comcast actually looking into this issue?
BIG_J54
Frequent Visitor

Also, I sent ComcastAbbie a private message yesterday and have not received a response yet.
ComcastJodie
Official Employee

@BIG_J54 We do see the private message that was sent to my coworker. Abbie sent a reply back very early this morning, so please make sure to check the messages. We'll be here when you reply back. 

When there are app issues that is a larger interruption, the best way to track that is to run troubleshooting through our tests. 

ComcastRob
Official Employee

@Phil02135

Hi there! I'd be glad to ensure that this gets looked into further. Please click on my handle (ComcastRob) and send a private message with your name, the complete service address (including city, state, ZIP, suite number, etc), and the phone or account number, and any pertinent details-- like the ticket number(s)-- so we can help. 

legalalien
Regular Visitor

@ComcastRob, given there are many customers with (seemingly) similar issues, do you want us all contact you via direct message?

There are several threads with very similar discussions.
Phil02135
Frequent Visitor

Done
PeteKnuckles
New Poster

I'm having the same problem and need a fix asap! Any updates?

KLStanko
New Poster

I have gone back and forth with a Comcast rep and nothing has worked. They sent a signal to reboot my modem (said it’s different from the way we do it). No change. Told me to uninstall app, delete downtime schedules and reinstall. No change. They don’t seem to understand that this is a widespread issue, not individual. I’m in Kentucky. Others are on the Pacific coast I know. This is a Comcast Issue they need to FIX! Grrr....
dvlassopoulos
Frequent Visitor

This clearly is a systemic issue and tech support seems to be focusing efforts on one-off individual users. This is a widespread problem and it all began just days ago.
Bart_Dubble
New Poster

This feature is broken.  Advice to "clear the app cache" is absurd, clearly not the issue as the app is a different "app" on Windows, Apple, and Android.  The function of this service is not local to the device setting up the service.

DJack512
New Poster

Mine started doing the exact same thing yesterday.  It took down the internet in the entire house.  Calls and virtual exchanges with customer support led to a technician coming out today.  It wasn't until this morning that I realized the connection with the scheduled downtime.  The technician came this afternoon and when I mentioned what I discovered, he didn't even know how to use the app or that the downtime was an option.  Needless to say the issue wasn't resolved.

Denisedavison97
New Poster

This is the suggestion xfinity gave me. I haven’t tried it yet but I figured I would pass it along.

1. Delete current settings in the app (all settings and user for the profile)

2. Delete app cache

3. Reset device

4. Log into app once device reset completes and set up again
Rantipole
Frequent Visitor

This is pathetic. As other on this thread, I've used downtime for months without issue. Why suddently did it stop working? I wasted over an hour of my time trying to figure this out. And now, finally finding this thread, I've turned off downtime and my child's device works. I now have to work an extra hour to make up for my lost time. What are you going to do about THAT, Comcast?? My contract is up in a couple of months. If you think I won't remember this, you're wrong.

dmcp89
Frequent Visitor

I had a Comcast technician come out to the house. He changed out the modem, but the new modem has the same issue: rules seem to take effect at the wrong time (a 5 hour difference for me, which happens to be the difference between my local time and GMT).

In the meantime, I had taken the steps suggested here of deleting downtime rules, clearing app cache, and logging out. We set up the new test rules from the website internet.xfinity.com, not using the app at all, so this seems to have nothing to do with the XFi app.

The tech agreed that there seemed to be a miscommunication between the XFinity system and modem about what time it is. He was going to make his coworkers aware of this issue, and escalate it to his supervisor to see if someone can figure out what's going on.

In the meantime, I have set up new bedtime rules for 5 hours later than when I want them to take effect. This seems like it will work. The app/website will not show the profile as paused at the proper time, but the device actually will be. At some point when this problem is fixed, I will have to change the rules back to the correct times.

Kappy0622
New Poster

XFi Downtime stopped working

Since last week, My kids downtime schedule shuts all items down whether or not its in the scheduled time.

I have reinstalled the app and and added all my kids again - worked for an hour.

Please help
Ejieieio
New Poster

I agree.  We just started having challenges with downtime a couple of days ago and all the above recommendations do not make a lot of sense - especially with it consistently being 5 hours difference - wondering if a coding change/database change went in a time field that holds the time for downtime was set to UTC (Coordinated Universal Time- the modern equivalent to GMT) rather than local time - for us ET.......it also seems to work by pushing forward by 5 hours.........

dmcp89
Frequent Visitor

There is at least one other thread discussing this same issue. At least in my case, I have found that the rules are taking effect at the wrong time. For me the rules are taking effect 5 hours early, which happens to be the difference between my local time (EST) and GMT. In @richn1964 's case, the rules seem to happen 6 hours ahead of time, which is the difference between his time (CST) and GMT.

I had a Comcast technician come out to the house. He changed out the modem, but the new modem has the same issue. He agreed that there seemed to be a miscommunication between the XFinity system and modem about what time it is. He was going to make his coworkers aware of this issue, and escalate it to his supervisor to see if someone can figure out what's going on.

In the meantime, I have set up new bedtime rules for 5 hours later than when I want them to take effect. This seems like it will work. The app/website will not show the profile as paused at the proper time, but the device actually will be. At some point when this problem is fixed, I will have to change the rules back to the correct times.

wimblefam
New Poster

Same thing happening here. Seems like the time zone is off somewhere.
MikeHLS
Regular Visitor

This is exactly the issue. I have been dealing with this since Friday. I have cleared my cache, deleted and re-added the app and restarted my gateway several times. I thought that maybe I had fixed it this morning but my internet just cut off again right at 2:30 Pacific Time which is 10:30 GMT. My downtime was scheduled to start at 10:30 Pacific Time.
ComcastKatieMS
Official Employee

Hey @DJack512. We don't like to hear that you are also running into issues with your connection and the technician that came out wasn't able to help. We're committed to making sure everyone is able to enjoy this awesome feature. Can you please send me a private message with your first and last name so we can get this taken care of together? To send us a private message, please click on my name <ComcastKatieMS>, then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

Mrs_imp
New Poster

Exactly what is happening at our house. We've used downtime for almost a year without issue. Now it's all wack-a-doodle.
ComcastMorgan
Official Employee

Re: XFi Downtime stopped working

Good evening, Kappy0622. Thank you for taking the time to post here in the community. It's frustrating to hear about the complications you've been experiencing recently with the downtime feature of xFi. This is something we can definitely look into. I know you mentioned using the app, have you attempted to use the portal instead just to see if there is any difference in the result at all? Here is a link to it: https://comca.st/3tZLtHL.

Phil02135
Frequent Visitor

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/xb7-xFi-blocking-access-on-profiles-when-a-downtime-...

Seem to be a simpler problem when downtime is scheduled on a profile. My work around is...

If I want bedtime at 10:00 pm EST. I have to set time at 3:00 am. Or you have to remove the bedtime pause on those profiles 

lutherelrod277
New Poster

Downtime is not working

Downtime seems to be starting early as of Saturday 2/13. I googled the issue and it is widespread. Do you have a fix?

Jespochav1
Regular Visitor

Must be a time thing my son's 11:59pm downtime just shut off his devices at 3:59pm, quite a big time difference.  It also happened to my younger son but earlier in the day for his 9:15pm shutoff.  I had to delete my downtime schedules for both of them because this is becoming so disruptive to the household.  My only choice at this point is to either stay up until their regular downtimes and pause their profiles or wait for a solution.  

SteandDebbie
New Poster

Just worked through the same issue. Contacted Xfinity about our sons gaming PC and iPad not having connection. Spent 3 hours restarting and resetting the router despite me telling them that if I connected to a personal hotspot or to my trucks WiFi the two devices were fine. As a last resort I figured, 'maybe its a cloud thing and his profile.'  I forgot the devices from his profile and they connected immediately. I tested this out three times to prove the fix. I just wish I'd have found this in the forum sooner...

Two major frustrations here:

1. Xfinity have updated something and caused many paying customers a whole bunch of inconvenience.

2. People are reporting the issue on the forum but the Chat help has no idea and takes 3 hours to decide to send a technician....not sure he'd find this one though...

We'll just pause his devices manually and test periodically until this is fixed.

ComcastRayana
Official Employee

Re: Downtime is not working

Hello@lutherelrod277. I would be happy to help with the settings in the Xfinity app. We can troubleshoot and open a ticket if that is needed. This thread shows the time is set to GMT so a workaround has been to set the schedule based on GMT but I know that is a pain and not a permanent solution. Can you please send me a Private Message including your first and last name as it appears on the account? To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastRayana” and click “Send a message."

ComcastPeterH
Official Employee

@jespochav Thank you for your feedback and letting us know the steps you have already taken. Have you already tried to

delete current settings in app, delete app cache, reset device, log into app once device reset completes and set up again?

We have seen success with these steps and please also be aware we are investigating this issue with the app features and our top team of experts is working hard round the clock to resolve this concern.