Community Forum

xFi drops HP 8620 when it goes to sleep

Highlighted
New Poster

xFi drops HP 8620 when it goes to sleep

My xFi router drops my HP 8620 whenever the printer goes to sleep.  I spoke with Comcast and they told me to "port forward" to the printer using the xFi app on my phone which I have done.  There is no change.  Each time I want to print, I have to turn the printer off and back on.  This has gone on for quite some time and I don't know how to fix it.  I would appreciate your help very much.  Thank you. 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: xFi drops HP 8620 when it goes to sleep

I set a static IP on my printer and though it will drop it sometimes, my printer has been currently working for a few weeks now. Choose a number at the top end of your range, to lower the likelyhood that another devide will take the ip address when printer goes down. Don't know a lot about it but it worked for me, so far.

Highlighted
Expert

@lewisr13 wrote:

I set a static IP on my printer and though it will drop it sometimes, my printer has been currently working for a few weeks now. Choose a number at the top end of your range, to lower the likelyhood that another devide will take the ip address when printer goes down. Don't know a lot about it but it worked for me, so far.

FWIW and AFAIK, the Comcast supplied residential gateway devices do not have that feature. Can anyone confirm or deny please ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

I didn't set it on the gateway, I set it on my printer.