Community Forum

splitting coax cable to cable box and modem/router

Highlighted
New Poster

splitting coax cable to cable box and modem/router

hello, im hoping someone could help me.  i think im on the right path and this site looks to be the place to get the best answers.  here is my situation.  my xfinity modem/router is upstairs and i would like to bring it downstairs to my den where my main cable box is.  there is only 1 coax "outlet" (not sure if that is the correct word) down here.  currently it goes directly into my cable box.  i want to bring the modem/router down here so i can run a landling/ethernet cable directly to my ps4.  the download speeds over wifi is tremdously slow.  the question.  can i just get a splitter (i probably have an old one) and split the cable from the wall to go to my cable box and my modem/router then just plug an ethernet cable from the modem/router to my ps4.  will this work? will it slow anything down? should it speed up my download speed to my ps4?  not to mention by bringing the modem/router downstairs it will be 4 floors to the bedroom, i bought some wifi boosters to help get the signal upstairs, just waiting on them to arrive.  thanks in advance.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: splitting coax cable to cable box and modem/router

Yes. Just use a 2-way coax cable splitter.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!