Community Forum

new router will not stay connected to Arris cable modem & modem resets

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

new router will not stay connected to Arris cable modem & modem resets

I haven't had problems swapping routers until now.  I just bought a D-Link DSR-250 which is an 8 port wired vpn router (I am told the VPN is off by default and it was left off) and am connecting it to the Arris Surfboard 6141.  After doing a few complete power cycles on the modem (30+ minutes unplugged) it will connect with the router and I'll get functional internet for a couple of minutes until the router loses connection with the modem and then the modem physically resets itself.   Thinking it was a problem with the router I also tried buying a new TPLink wired router and the same thing happens.  After a 30+ minute unplug of the modem it'll connect with the router and get internet for a few minutes and then lose connection and the modem resets.  When I go back to try my old routers the modem and internet work fine.  D-Link support says it's most likely an issue with comcast/xfinity.  Any ideas?  Does comcast need to switch something on their end?

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: new router will not stay connected to Arris cable modem & modem resets

That doesn’t make sense, the modem is not a Comcast device, and a different modem works. Did you try Arris support since that’s the common piece of equipment?

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

A standard comcast answer, when you don't want to pay the ransom for their equipment.  I have been trying to get a netgear router with  builtin vpn working.  I have spent hours trouble shooting with the people that built the router, I have spent hours trouble shooting with the the  vpn provider and nothing on their end seems to be a problem.  The issue seems to be with comcast not wanting customers using vpns, so the only work around I have found at this point is to connect the vpn router thru another router.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Yes, I know it doesn't make sense.  That is why I need help. 🙂 

I barely know anything about networking (big surprise), so this may sound absurd but...  Maybe comcast registers router MAC addresses and won't allow a new one?  I tried cloning my PCs mac address to the router but the same disconnect happened.

again, The VPN features on the D-Link DSR-250 router are off by default (so I am told by D-link support).  I have no idea why the router cannot keep a connection with the modem.  When I plug in my older, non-vpn routers to the same modem everything works fine.

*I'll check with Arris.

*Update:  Arris said I could try a factory reset on the modem.  If that doesn't work, Arris said contact D-Link.  D-Link said contact comcast.  Comcast said contact Arris.   welp...  Guess I'll try a factory reset tomorrow and if that doesn't work I'll call comcast.  LOL!

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

The modem reset didn't work and neither did cloning the pc MAC address to the router as suggested by product support...