Community Forum

Xfinity xFi DOCSIS 3.1 broadcast 5 hidden networks in bridge mode.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Xfinity xFi DOCSIS 3.1 broadcast 5 hidden networks in bridge mode.

Hello all,

I've been troubleshooting wireless issues around my house and using the GreenLee Airscout I was able to determine that my Xfinity Xfi gateway is broadcasting 5 hidden networks after I placed the gateway into bridge mode. There are 3 802.11 B/G/N networks, and 2 802.11 A/N/AC networks. Please note that I've placed my gateway in bridge mode, and logged into my Xfinity account online and disabled the Xfinity Hot Spot functionality of my gateway. 

I would like to disable these 5 hidden networks from broadcasting. I am positive they are coming from the gateway, as the SSIDs being broadcast all have the same MAC address except for the last digit of the BSSID. Considering the placement of my 3rd party access points around the house, this XFi gateway is adding additional interference on my network.

I should have the option to disable this feature, whatever the feature may be. I suspect it has to do with their "Pod Wi-Fi" system but I have no interest in that. 

To be 100% transparent, I am only using the Xfinity XFi gateway as a modem, not using any of the internal routing features. It has been placed into bridge mode, and my aftermarket router is performing all routing tasks. I have no Xfinity Wi-Fi hardware in my house, nor do I want to. The only reason I'm using this XFi gateway is because I was plagued with all sorts of issues with the Netgear CMD1150 and trying to keep consistent gigabit speeds. Once I installed the XFi gateway, my speeds have been restored and life is good, until I realized that I have 5 wireless networks broadcasting from my hardware that I have not authorized to do. 

Help! Can someone provide any guidance on how to remove these hidden networks, or at least tell me what they are for? I really want these removed. 

Thanks.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity xFi DOCSIS 3.1 broadcast 5 hidden networks in bridge mode.

@ComcastChe 

Tagging you on this ticket because you were a support rockstar last time around with my issues. 

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Wild guess here for a couple of them.  At least one is probably for xfinity home security devices and one for the wireless set top boxes (Xi5/Xi6) that require an xFi gateway.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@lesmikesell wrote:

Wild guess here for a couple of them.  At least one is probably for xfinity home security devices and one for the wireless set top boxes (Xi5/Xi6) that require an xFi gateway.

Aaah interesting point. Yes, those would have to broadcast despite the gateway being bridged or not. 

I would still like to be able to turn those off. I'm really trying to avoid calling Comcast Tech support, anyone else please chime in if you have any insight into my issue.  

Highlighted
New Poster

Did you ever get a response to this or figure out how to turn it off. I'm seeing the same thing and it's really bothering me.

The only solution I could see if buying a third party gateway.

Thanks

Highlighted
Expert

Six month old dead thread closed. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!